Antifreeze problem

Jeffintampa

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all from hot steamy Florida

My mark seems to be using antifreeze. I had it flushed and filled before summer at a shop in town. I bled it when I got it home, couple of weeks burping. I think a month or so ago I got the warning Coolant level low. I parked it overnight let it cool (didn't overheat) in the am added a quart to get it to cold fill mark. I am adding straight antifreeze not 50 50. Week or so later (less than 100 miles) did it again, did the same again cool down add a quart. Well today it did it to me again Coolant level low. I have changed my water pump few years ago, No water seems to be in the oil (thank god) but no puddles under it either.

Bought a thing of Bar's leak thinking of adding to cross over pipe hole. What ya all think?

I wouldn't add the Bars unless its absolutely necessary. It tends to plug up radiators and is very hard to remove once you fix the leak, and can lead to overheating.

I know on my first Mark I had a very slow leak at the crossover tube, check for some signs of corrosion or calcium around the pipe, also remove your belt and check to see if your water pump has any play in the shaft. Maybe check the passenger side floor make sure its not damp from a leaky heater core. Maybe get it pressure tested. Not saying any of this is definitely the problem just saying Id check it all out first.

Also check the coolant tube that's under the intake.
If you find no leaks do a hydrocarbon test.

I recently experienced a similar issue on my '98 CE. It turned out to be the heater core. I did a heater core bypass with a section of 3/4" heater hose and am not looking forward to replacing the heater core. :(

Well I think I got it. I bit the bullet and got a new radiator, hoses, water pump, cap and thermostat. Wasn't to bad under 200.00 on rockauto. Love the new temp the car runs at. Really never gets half way up the temp gauge even in Florida 94 degrees

Good advice on NOT adding Bars Leak or any of the temporary crap that can & WILL plug up a radiator sooner or later. I've seen more damage done by some of that **** in a can that I'd care to remember! And Rock Auto Rocks! Look for under $200 bucks, he got himself a new radiator, water pump, cap, hoses,etc. Hard to beat their prices. And they do usually offer 3 different levels of parts quality.
And one last thing, especially for those of us in warmer climates. Make sure you do a flush of your cooling system every year. You'd be surprised by doing just that, can keep your car happy when it's hot out!

Hey Driller are you saying the heater core is plugged? Ive got a trick for that that has worked so far 9 out of 10 times. The only way it doesnt is if rust is all thats keeping your core from leaking. Hook your garden hose up to the lower hose on the heater core and put it on at mild pressure like half way and just let it run until it comes out clear. Then turn it off wait a couple minutes and do it again, more rust and crap will come out. do that a few times. when nothing else comes out, disconnect the garden hose and wrap your hand around the hose form the heater core, so you dont have to put the dirty hose on your lips and blow in it to try and get all the water out. Get as much as you can out. Then go to a hardware store like home depot, and buy either CLR or Zep Calcium Lime and Rust Remover I had better luck with the Zep. Also buy 2 bolts or 2 plugs of some kind you can stuff in the hoses to seal them. Plug up the lower hose and fill the core from the upper hose with the ZEP or CLR Cap it or at least leave the hose pointing up so it doesn't run out or get on your paint or something. Leave it over night. If I can I usually use it for at least 12 hours sometimes 24. Then go out and drain it and run water through it. Youll be amazed at the crap that comes out and also how shiny and fresh the inside of the core looks. Then hook it up and most likely it will be fine....

Also check the coolant tube that's under the intake.
If you find no leaks do a hydrocarbon test.
How do I do that exactly ? And since Ive done my water pump in 97 mark ,The temp keeps teetering up and down when I’m stepping on the gas while I’m on the highway , radiator is great from super coupe performance and hoses / resivor are great

Good advice on NOT adding Bars Leak or any of the temporary crap that can & WILL plug up a radiator sooner or later. I've seen more damage done by some of that **** in a can that I'd care to remember! And Rock Auto Rocks! Look for under $200 bucks, he got himself a new radiator, water pump, cap, hoses,etc. Hard to beat their prices. And they do usually offer 3 different levels of parts quality.
And one last thing, especially for those of us in warmer climates. Make sure you do a flush of your cooling system every year. You'd be surprised by doing just that, can keep your car happy when it's hot out!
Why do you think else Lincoln would overheat slightly when under load only by hotter outside temperature

Members online

Back