another motor

the1andonlyGR81

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
as many know ive gone through a few motors here lately and am in search of some good info. i have a 98 lsc with a set of comp cams 106100, great idle good power, bad vlcm toasted another motor. when did ford stop using the imrc's? if i put 'c' series head 99-01 tumble port, and the 99-01 cobra intake will my computer work anymore, i mean obviously will need a tune, but can i still use computer? next, if i go to the 5.4 navigator head and cobra intake, same question, and third what about the 03 cobra head same question, basically do i need imrc deletes, or are the heads designed to be used without them and the ecm yes or no. im leaning toward the navigator head and cobra intake

No IMRC's with "C" heads. The computer doesn't car which heads and intake you use, but you will certainly need to find a very good tuner.

No IMRC's with "C" heads. The computer doesn't car which heads and intake you use, but you will certainly need to find a very good tuner.
+1

Look through my old threads. There is one about my 94 5-speed marauder engined frankenstien

well, the SHORT version of the story is the temp. sensor, the temp sending unit, a/c switch, temp gauge, all get connected to the vlcm which spins the fan at whatever speed is necessary to cool motor to appropriate temp. the last guy told me he was going to take the vlcm off his 97 instead "jumped" wire to run when engine is on, the problem is if the vlcm is burnt your temp gauge may or may not work correctly so my gauge was reading middle and with my exhaust and stereo cant hear any detonation since i have hand controls and use cruise control on hwy had no notice until i went to pass someone pulled on gas and felt something amiss turned down radio and heard valve chatter before i could pull over to the shoulder the car stalled THEN the gauge skyrockets! left a huge oil puddle under car.

as far as 'c' heads i am still unsure if the headers will still work, i need timing cover from whichever motor i get heads from. (i'm still searching old threads) are the exhaust ports the same on the navigator heads as well? i am under the impression they are all the same and if i use those heads from the 5.4 shortblock which timing cover should i use? i know to use the alternator from newer style head/intake as well, will the rest of the accessories be in the same location.after reading a few threads i'm now leaning toward marauder heads, cobra/mach 1 intake, just now after reading stock flow #'s the 03 style heads outflow all of them including the navigator heads at the lift up until where my cam will be, actually the navigator head shows impressive gains from 0,.05,.1,.2 then just drops off which accounts for the low end torque increase you would need in the navigator, but with a major port job only will outflow the others, the 03 flows the best out of the box, but i'm going stage 1 porting which will really move some air. thanks mike for pointing me back at some of your threads, like i said im still looking but .030 forged flattop and '03 heads with cams i have to have them checked because it looks bad inside motor got so hot like the others melted the knock sensors, turned what oil was left to sludge, so HOT.

as far as 'c' heads i am still unsure if the headers will still work, i need timing cover from whichever motor i get heads from. (i'm still searching old threads) are the exhaust ports the same on the navigator heads as well? i am under the impression they are all the same and if i use those heads from the 5.4 shortblock which timing cover should i use? i know to use the alternator from newer style head/intake as well, will the rest of the accessories be in the same location.after reading a few threads i'm now leaning toward marauder heads, cobra/mach 1 intake, just now after reading stock flow #'s the 03 style heads outflow all of them including the navigator heads at the lift up until where my cam will be, actually the navigator head shows impressive gains from 0,.05,.1,.2 then just drops off which accounts for the low end torque increase you would need in the navigator, but with a major port job only will outflow the others, the 03 flows the best out of the box, but i'm going stage 1 porting which will really move some air. thanks mike for pointing me back at some of your threads, like i said im still looking but .030 forged flattop and '03 heads with cams i have to have them checked because it looks bad inside motor got so hot like the others melted the knock sensors, turned what oil was left to sludge, so HOT.

Sounds like some shoddy a$$ work to me. I hope you don't use the same mechanic again. Sounds like a total moron. I've met a few. :rolleyes:

no, different mechanic as recommended by someone, actually two people here. regular motor will be done monday so i can drive, the other will be a slow process after crunching the numbers what i want to do 1. complete '03 head and cobra intake swap with my cams,possibly a .030 over bore and flattop pistons for more compressionor 2.full port job on b series heads and cobra intake with cams possibly an upgrade in cams and/or .030 job as well which with either still involves getting another motor which either low mileage leave shortblock alone or get whatever and rebuild it. the #'s on getting the motor and just redoing heads and slapping them on with cams is the cheapest, but im not sure the bottom end can handle it even though the 106100 cam is 'mild' by most standards meaning it works with computer with no tune needed, stock springs will work as long as the motor is under 70,000 miles and operates in 'street' rpm range. so with rebuilding bottom end, and doing either is about the same $ wise except in just obtaining different timing cover and getting the '03 heads, so thats the route ill probably end up going which also will produce the most power.
:D:feedback
ps ..just finally got it to work on you tube search " lincoln mark viii cammed 106100", and " lincoln mark viii comp cam 106100" sounds great especially if you have a good sound system on computer. love that sound

Members online

No members online now.
Back