another gen 1 grill post

made some progress today
P3030199_zps76bb84d3.jpg

---
getting that bumper cover free from under the headlights was kind of a pain- thought for sure I'd break some plastic....it seemed like it would have been easier with the headlights removed?
---
in reinstalling the bumper cover, will removing headlights make it easier?

---
getting that bumper cover free from under the headlights was kind of pain....it seemed like it would have been easier with the headlights removed?
---
in reinstalling the bumper cover, will removing headlights make it easier?

Yep that's where most of the time is usually spent getting those tabs to release and no it will not be easier with the headlights removed it will be the same IMO, just make sure you install it evenly so you don't tweak the grille(two people helps to put it back on evenly), the tabs should just slide in under the headlights.

well that's good, I started to remove the headlights to avoid breaking the tabs on the bumper but decided otherwise...i can't see how it's possible to remove the assembly WITHOUT breaking at least one of the grill's side connector brackets...I'll probably be doing it myself tomorrow...maybe using a jack will help?
----
this is the 2nd time r/r'ing the ofa gask...much better than the first time, but still not much fun

well that's good, I started to remove the headlights to avoid breaking the tabs on the bumper but decided otherwise...i can't see how it's possible to remove the assembly WITHOUT breaking at least one of the grill's side connector brackets...I'll probably be doing it myself tomorrow...maybe using a jack will help?

I find it easier to remove headlights prior to removing bumper..you can get your fingers underneath the header panel easier to unhook the bumper. If I were you I would just leave the two side screws out of the grille so when you're putting the bumper back on it won't stress the grille at all, 5 screws at the bottom is plenty to hold it in, along with the bracket on the backside also. I've removed two bumpers from junk yard cars and the bumper on my own car. I've got it down to a science practically, but let me tell you, if the bumper twists AT ALL that grille is going to crack, so take your time.

I've got it down to a science practically, but let me tell you, if the bumper twists AT ALL that grille is going to crack, so take your time.

I've had mine off a few times also, could probably r&r it blind folded:p

But yes I highly suggest a second set of hands when reinstalling it to prevent what Kevin mentioned about the bumper twisting.

I'll probably try to install it myself, but with a 'dead man'...(temporary vertical support)...a box or crate, cardboard....open to suggestions on how to do it without breaking the new/used grille

Put a box on one side to hold it up kinda close to as high as it needs to be. You're not going to break the grille unless you really twist it. Once you have one side on and a screw in, get the other side on and a screw in and then go to bolting everything down.

easy peasy...git 'er done!
--
the dentist made a house call and gave me a new smile :D
P3040200_zps1be53840.jpg

:headbang:
---
I'm also swapping corner front lights for better chrome...do the blinking side-marker turn lights have an optical sensor to override daytime function? the bulbs are good but neither one is blinking prior to install

Anyone has any idea what I could do with my grill on my Mark?
Unfortinetly my car isn't black, otherwise I would most definetly paint it black amongs all other chrome trim.
A green car, black grille/chrome trim. Must be the worst color combination ever.
Anyone has any ideas?

easy peasy...git 'er done!
--
I'm also swapping corner front lights for better chrome...do the blinking side-marker turn lights have an optical sensor to override daytime function? the bulbs are good but neither one is blinking prior to install

The side markers don't blink. A bulb comes on inside there when the blinker is turned on and it's for lighting up a curb or whatever is next to you. The light behind the yellow just stays lit when the lights are turned on but no blinking. Not that I recall.

No, they are on day or night. The optical sensor on the dash is just for the head lights/night time dash lights.

BTW, I hate your weather right now......
dang, I wonder why neither side turn light is working...that sux, I hate it when something worked prior to removal, then doesn't after re-install
---also, the red 'OIL' light (idiot light)on the dash is illuminated, (I also replaced ofa. g and opsu this w/e) hopefully it's on b/c I had the car lifted on a slope (engine up, trunk down) and it misread the oil level...
...could the opsu cause that light to come on? or is it just a oil level indicator?
---hate the weather in 30102? hmm, it's not bad...about 55-60, partly cloudy, not quite as balmy as Minnasnowta granted :p
---Swedish Mark, you should be able to find a decent used grille for less than 100; check with KeVIIIn; I was really dreading swapping grilles...it's really not that bad- only thing I'd have done different is pull the headlights if I wanted to save the grille coming out; I broke the :q out of the one in there pulling the bumper cover from under the headlights

It's not linked to a photo sensitive switch. It's either not plugged in or the bulbs are bad, if the other lights are coming on.

Don't you have to have the headlights on for them to light up??

Mine only light up when the headlights are on, they don't blink just the inside parking light blinks.

Bingo, not exactly a photo-sensor, but a day/night bypass in essence.mine work as they should: with headlamps on..

Members online

Back