Another Dumb Gen 1 Headlight Question

newviiiowner

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok everybody, I know this one has probably been asked to death, but I have searched and searched the treads over and over and cant find the answer.

I have a 93 Gen 1 Mark VIII with the not so bright stock headlights. I have read so many of the posts about how to improve the stock lights without dropping a ton of cash on HIDS. I HAVE installed the diode upgrade like one of the fellow members showed me to make the lows stay on with the highs, BUT my question is a simple one.

Why are the lights brighter when you hold back on the flash to pass lever than when all 4 are burning on high beam? And how to you make them STAY that bright when you have the high beams on?

Sorry for bothering everyone with yet another dumb question about Gen 1 headlights.

Polish your headlights. And i beleive that the lows shut off when you keep the highs on rather than flashing them. When you flash them, the lows stay on along with the highs.

Sounds like you have a connection problem somewhere. You should'nt have even needed to use a diode to get the lights to stay on. All you have to connect is the #13 & #15 pins on the "multifunction switch". This will run both High and lows when you lock the highs on.

If your not getting the same ammount of power out of the lights from one setting to the other, you have a wiring problem somewhere. Also, running bot highs and lows increases heat buld up in the headlight housings. This aggrivates the already horrid problem with dulled reflective coatings.

The only "real" solution is to go with hids, or just buy new halogen housings. If your good with fiberglass, and can source the parts, you could make some custom units like I have sitting in my garage. but it's not very easy, and is VERY time consuming.

Mike

The other simple solution is to mount a pair of driving lights behind your grill. This will help greatly, and will set you back less than $50.

94m5 said:
. You should'nt have even needed to use a diode to get the lights to stay on. All you have to connect is the #13 & #15 pins on the "multifunction switch". This will run both High and lows when you lock the highs on.

Mike

The only problem with that is you have to take all that crap apart to put the shorting wire between pins 13 and 15, whereas all you have to do is to hook up 2 diodes between the high/low wires under the headlight panel and can be easily removed when upgraded to HIDs or the such.

Yea, I've never had a problem ripping the column apart. Every time I have done it, was while I was replacing the multifunction switch, So it was no problem for me.

mike

More info from NEWVIIIOWNER

Well I've read all you guys replays and thanks a ton for the replys. Thats why I love this site. You guys actually READ these posts! COOL!!

I HAVE done the diode installation to get all 4 lights to come on when you have the hi beams on and it works great, BUT...... what I have discovered is that when you PULL and HOLD on the turn signal lever all 4 lights come on in the FLASH TO PASS mode, BUT they are brighter than if you have the handle forward in the hi beam mode. I mean all 4 lights are still on, but they are dimmer when the switch is forward in the HIGH BEAM mode???? When you pull on the handle it's like a TURBO light mode or something. I dont understand what is going on??? Any clues??? And how would you get that kind of power or voltage or whatever to the lights in normal high beam mode???

Dave Crawford

Thats what I was talking about in my previous post. There is no logical reason that the lights should be brighter from one position to the other. I would check the grounds for that piticular circuit and make sure everything is tight.

Mike

Well for whatever it counts I know what your talking about because it happens on my Town Car the reason I dont know though

Another question...

Can somebody repost the link for the step by step with pictures for connecting the Pin 13 to pin 15 on the turnsignal multi-function switch

Thanks

Dave Crawford

Can you provide me with the link and/or some pics that show how to do this to the MFD???

Thanks,

Dave Crawford

newviiiowner said:
Can somebody repost the link for the step by step with pictures for connecting the Pin 13 to pin 15 on the turnsignal multi-function switch

Thanks

Dave Crawford

Here you go.

Pay attention to this note......

*remove the bottom column shroud first. To remove the ignition lock insert the key, turn to the run position, and find the "button lock" on the bottom of the cylinder casing. Push up on this and the lock will pull out. Set this off to the side and don't change the position of the key.*

This will allow you to remove the upper shroud with out diong everything the directions tell you to. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

Sorry it took so long to get this up here. I've been busy the last few days, and just now remembered it.

Mike

1315 copy.jpg

1315directions.jpg

Wow, I'll have to remember this, I have to Lift on my turn signal, to get my wipers to work.
Thanks Much...

My headlights are no so great either. I was wondering, does it make sense to install HID lights using the old housings, with the old crappy reflective material?
I polished mine, which made them alot better, not "like new", but I can see at night. I see kits out there for as low as $180...I wonder if it's worth doing for me.

my95mark8 said:
My headlights are no so great either. I was wondering, does it make sense to install HID lights using the old housings, with the old crappy reflective material?
I polished mine, which made them alot better, not "like new", but I can see at night. I see kits out there for as low as $180...I wonder if it's worth doing for me.
It won't work very well; it'll just be a waste of money.

On the other hand, if you have actual HID housings, then one of those aftermarket kits is a way to get cheaper bulbs. It worked for me.

you dont need the hid housing the regular lenses are fine, as long as they arent hazed up. hid's all the way i have been meaning to post some pics of them

Yes, You do need HID Housing not only is it illegal to put HID's in a non-HID housing it blinds oncoming drivers.

klutch said:
Yes, You do need HID Housing not only is it illegal to put HID's in a non-HID housing it blinds oncoming drivers.

Illegal? About as illegal as crushing a penny ont he railroad tracks.

Blind oncoming drivers? Not if aimed correctly.

klutch said:
the only way it wont blind oncoming drivers is if you install projectors

That's BS. A D2R bulb in a decent housing will be just fine. I've got 2 cars that produce less upward glare with HIDs than they ever did with halogens.

thanks dominus They are very bright, but there is a reason they have been putting hids in alot of the newer cars.There is a cheap hid kit and then there is a expensive higher quality hid kit. Also projectors are different types of housings and bulbs i didnt think they were hid's.

If you REALLY MUST get a kit to go in the stock housings, get D2R rebase bulbs in your kit. They are designed for reflector housings, and will keep the light in check, even at stock headlight aiming.

Members online

No members online now.
Back