another canuck

Click

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member with a '94 mark viii (but its not running at the moment!). 140K but was running great. Parked it normally on level ground. Next day it simply refuses to fire up while cranking good, with fuel in the tank, just no fire in the belly atall. Any self-test suggestions would be appreciated. This never happened before, so its not an 'intermittent' issue btw.
Click

Mk 8 codes and diagnostic

What's the most economical way to 'pull the codes'?

So far I suspect the fuel pump quit because I can't hear it when listening at the gas tank filler as key is turned. Anyone know if you 'should' be able to hear it for one or two seconds as expected.?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
click

Click said:
What's the most economical way to 'pull the codes'?

So far I suspect the fuel pump quit because I can't hear it when listening at the gas tank filler as key is turned. Anyone know if you 'should' be able to hear it for one or two seconds as expected.?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
click
Ever check the pressure at the fuel rail? The pressure tester is cheap, connect it to the schrader valve on the rail and turn the key on to prime the rail and see what the pressure is. Also try resetting the shut off in the trunk, something might have bumped it and turned it off.

Click,

Welcome,

Replace the cam sensor (easy to do) and check the wire leading into the crank sensor (the crank sensor is located next to the air compressor). That sensor nmay also need to be changed. This is a fairly common crank,no start symptom. That is where I would start. Then on to the IAC, etc. if that doesn't do it.

Click,
You might want to buy a code scanner to scan for the codes, you should be able to find one at a parts house, if the pump is working properly you should be able to hear it at the filler pipe. :beer:

Check fuel pump relay...

engine fuse box.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. Apparently the Ford code readers' are only useful when the CE (check engine) light is on - in this case there are no indicators - except it won't start! :) I'm in search of the eng fuse box now and will let you know the results.
click

EFI rail pressure testing

I checked the 'inertia' switch and it appears to be on ok. But the local after-market supply store (Lordco) says the EFI pressure testers are 3-400. and shouldn't be used except by a shop. Can you elaborate a bit.? thanks,
click

Jibit said:
Ever check the pressure at the fuel rail? The pressure tester is cheap, connect it to the schrader valve on the rail and turn the key on to prime the rail and see what the pressure is. Also try resetting the shut off in the trunk, something might have bumped it and turned it off.

Click said:
I checked the 'inertia' switch and it appears to be on ok. But the local after-market supply store (Lordco) says the EFI pressure testers are 3-400. and shouldn't be used except by a shop. Can you elaborate a bit.? thanks,
click

All you need is a pressure gauge and fitting to fit the schrader valve...

fuelgauge.jpg

1986-1995 Fuel Pressure Gauge
$42.95

This easy-to-read 0-100 psi gauge lets you monitor fuel pressure to maintain
optimum performance. It attaches directly to the fuel rail pressure test
port without having to remove the pressure release (schrader) valve,
eliminating the need to search for adapter fittings.
It also comes with a
detachable 90° elbow which allows it to fit virtually any fuel injected Ford.

http://www.steeda.com/

I'm sure others can be had cheaper. You need to establish whether or not you are getting fuel pressure first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to tow the car to a mechanic and have it tested instead. He assures me is 'is' a dead pump alright, so I've ordered one from fuel-pumps.net (Walbro pump?). I hope they include the fuel tank gasket etc.
thanks for your comments driller.

driller said:
All you need is a pressure gauge and fitting to fit the schrader valve...

fuelgauge.jpg

1986-1995 Fuel Pressure Gauge
$42.95

This easy-to-read 0-100 psi gauge lets you monitor fuel pressure to maintain
optimum performance. It attaches directly to the fuel rail pressure test
port without having to remove the pressure release (schrader) valve,
eliminating the need to search for adapter fittings.
It also comes with a
detachable 90° elbow which allows it to fit virtually any fuel injected Ford.

http://www.steeda.com/

I'm sure others can be had cheaper. You need to establish whether or not you are getting fuel pressure first.

I don't believe the fuel pump comes with a tank gasket.

I have the Walbro 255LPH pump. I got it from Geno at LincolnMotorSports. :headbang: I wussed out and had my exhaust guy put it in since he had to drop the exhaust as well as the fuel tank. :Bang

Can I get a gasket seperately then? Anything else should be done while the tank and pipes are down btw? (I'm planning to get him to change the gas filter and clean out the tank while he's at it).

driller said:
I don't believe the fuel pump comes with a tank gasket.

I have the Walbro 255LPH pump. I got it from Geno at LincolnMotorSports. :headbang: I wussed out and had my exhaust guy put it in since he had to drop the exhaust as well as the fuel tank. :Bang

The gasket should be reuseable. It should also be available at most parts houses and dealers if needed.

Any driveshaft issues? While the tank is lowered, now is the time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back