Another '02 LSE V8 Overheating and Heater issues..

How about the thermostat housing? Does that ever need to be replaced?
You need to change all plastic cooling system at the same time you can change out one piece at a time but don't be surprised if other parts start to fail after awhile... If you change out the T-stat housing buy the Aluminum S-type jaguar then your good forever usually the plastic cooling parts will start to turn a orange-brownish color but not always ... Mine turned different color look at my photo garage and you'll see what I'm talking about

You need to change all plastic cooling system at the same time you can change out one piece at a time but don't be surprised if other parts start to fail after awhile... If you change out the T-stat housing buy the Aluminum S-type jaguar then your good forever usually the plastic cooling parts will start to turn a orange-brownish color but not always ... Mine turned different color look at my photo garage and you'll see what I'm talking about
What coolant do you recommend to refill? I went to the ford dealer and they offered me 2 different types. I think one is the conventional and the other was orange?

What coolant do you recommend to refill? I went to the ford dealer and they offered me 2 different types. I think one is the conventional and the other was orange?

The simple thing to do is to go to Walmart or an auto store and get the Prestone universal long life. Mix it with distilled, or get the premixed. I've been running that in both of my LSes for a long time now.

The simple thing to do is to go to Walmart or an auto store and get the Prestone universal long life. Mix it with distilled, or get the premixed. I've been running that in both of my LSes for a long time now.
Ok, will do.

Here's the FIRST problem:

It happened again while I was out of town, so my wife called a friend of a friend(backyard mechanic)

And the SECOND:

2) had another backyard mechanic look at it

And THIRD:

The degas bottle seems to breakdown quickly in my car(I'm on my 3rd in 2 years). It's an aftermarket purchased from O'Reileys.

Joe has pointed out MANY times on this forum... that the aftermarket coolant/degas bottles only last 2-3 years at MOST. Whereas the same FACTORY part usually lasts 6-7 years. Other leaks that cause overheating... shortening the life of all parts,,, which is why you keep replacing the degas bottle every 8 months, (on average). One of those "sealants" might be eating the plastic of the degas bottle too.

And Fourth: Bar's Leak and "K-Seal"

The FIRST thing you need to do is get the cooling system chemically flushed by a PROFESSIONAL shop... to get that crap out of there. THEN start replacing ALL components in the cooling system. Full replacement of all parts with FACTORY components, (the ONLY reliable way to go), will be around $900-$1100,,, WITHOUT labor. The aluminum Jag thermostat housing is known to be a reliable "upgrade" for your year LS,,, and worth the extra $$$.

If you can't afford the labor... but have a local automotive trade school in the area,,, they will most likely do the labor for free as a leaning experience, (under teacher supervision). Just make sure they know they need the Factory service manuals. They could do the system flush too.

"Band-Aids" only work on humans,,, since we are self healing. Vehicles aren't.

Anything in CAPS,,, is not me yelling at you... but just for emphasis.

Here's the FIRST problem:

And the SECOND:

And THIRD:

Joe has pointed out MANY times on this forum... that the aftermarket coolant/degas bottles only last 2-3 years at MOST. Whereas the same FACTORY part usually lasts 6-7 years. Other leaks that cause overheating... shortening the life of all parts,,, which is why you keep replacing the degas bottle every 8 months, (on average). One of those "sealants" might be eating the plastic of the degas bottle too.

And Fourth: Bar's Leak and "K-Seal"

The FIRST thing you need to do is get the cooling system chemically flushed by a PROFESSIONAL shop... to get that crap out of there. THEN start replacing ALL components in the cooling system. Full replacement of all parts with FACTORY components, (the ONLY reliable way to go), will be around $900-$1100,,, WITHOUT labor. The aluminum Jag thermostat housing is known to be a reliable "upgrade" for your year LS,,, and worth the extra $$$.

If you can't afford the labor... but have a local automotive trade school in the area,,, they will most likely do the labor for free as a leaning experience, (under teacher supervision). Just make sure they know they need the Factory service manuals. They could do the system flush too.

"Band-Aids" only work on humans,,, since we are self healing. Vehicles aren't.

Anything in CAPS,,, is not me yelling at you... but just for emphasis.
Dilly Dilly....

Members online

Back