alternator help!!!

lincolnlsman

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi i have a 2000 ls and it's eating alternators????? first one i changed it lasted about three months second one lasted three weeks third one lasted five days any one know why this would be???

its going to the shop in the morning i would really like some help on this b4 i have to fork out 100 bucks on it i have read 9 pages off the search on alternator no one has quite replaced it more than once so i dont know what the hell the issue is have checked all my grounds every thing looks good????? im pretty good on working on it just need some on to point it out to me and say try this. any help pleas!!!!

The main power wires that run from the alt to the battery could be the culprit..

Other possibility..
You just got two alts with crappy voltage regulators.. Highly unlikely..

it would be 3 of them i doubt it to main battery cable looks good no hits or nicks i even had the fender well out about a month ago and that conn looked good im lost

Where are you getting the alternators? Auto parts store alternators are notoriously of poor quality.

most of the DIYer Auto Part Stores can load test the alternator for you - are these actually testing bad?

NAPA is an exception.. I have used alternators from there and It's still in the vehicle..

no auto zone alternators here the one i have are from a local parts house called genuine auto very similar to a napa high quality parts

Do you have the right battery in it and is it good?
Does it show 14.6 volts when running?
Does it start hard?

no hard starts when the alt was new it was showing 14.45-14.69 staying steady just cant remember what it really was but now i have to idle it up to cylinder cut out before it will reach 14.50

Sounds like voltage regulator keeps getting burned out of them IMHO.. It's been awhile since I've learned about them..

Another check.. Make sure the belt isn't slipping..

The LS, for some strange reason, doesn't like using non-motorcraft parts. My LS ate 2 alternators in 3 weeks before I went and bought a motorcraft alternator. It's been years now without a problem. Good Luck!!

When I have alternator problems I take them to an alternator shop to be rebuilt instead of the auto parts alternator. A good shop will know what they are doing and you will always get your old alternator back so you know the ears and bolts will match up perfectly. I know this is after the fact for you, but just my 2 cents.

still no change i put a grounding strap from the alternator to the block i dont know what to do i could see one or two max aftermarket alternators but not three so the ls is sitting in the mean time:mad::mad::mad::mad:

stupid question here but, is there any aftermarket stuff in the car? (big power inverters, high powered amps...)

Members online

No members online now.
Back