Alternator compatibility

Titan

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use an alternator from a '95 mark VIII on a '96 Mark VIII?

They don't look the same and the three pin connector has the lock on the front on the '95 and in the rear on the '96 so to connect it you need to turn the connector 180 degrees, does this still connect the wires properly?

And does your alternator run real hot to the touch, or is some thing not right?

yes. you can.

yes. it does.

and yes. everything under the hood gets pretty hot. especially stuff up front by the radiator and crossover tube. that's why the alt has a fan inside it.

Yes, and I also agree that, well, I guess it wasn't said but they did put the alternator in a very hot spot. At least it's a 15 minute swap and easy to get to. Maybe your first time won't be that fast but after you have taken a few off and replaced them, you get quicker at it.

You can use it, but it is a 120 amp unit versus 130 amp for the 96.

So I put in the '95 alt and now the battery charge dash light comes and stays on.

Checked the output and am getting 14.6 VDC & 33amps at idle, with a fully charged battery, right after starting the engine.

So I'm going to see if I can get the diode bridge in the original alt. replaced. Will have a spare if nothing else.

It's always good to have a spare w/ these cars. I keep my old one in the trunk. It's not dead just charges lower then normal.

Yeah, I've got my old one in for a rebuild. It did 200k miles with just a voltage regulator replacement though.

Members online

Back