Alpine vs Regular Systems (swappable?)

lsbit

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My wife took my car. :( :( :( So...I'll have to buy another LS for myself now. :)

I was wondering if the LS is like the Mustang where wires are run for options even when they are not included. I might be getting an LS without the Alpine system, and the one I am giving my wife has the Alpine system. I would swap everything over (my wife is not wanting any thump...she still uses cassettes), but was wondering what a pain that would be??? It's a shame that the interiors are different colors too because those center console speakers would not look good swapped out! :)

Thanks.

lsbit said:
My wife took my car. :( :( :( So...I'll have to buy another LS for myself now. :)

I was wondering if the LS is like the Mustang where wires are run for options even when they are not included. I might be getting an LS without the Alpine system, and the one I am giving my wife has the Alpine system. I would swap everything over (my wife is not wanting any thump...she still uses cassettes), but was wondering what a pain that would be??? It's a shame that the interiors are different colors too because those center console speakers would not look good swapped out! :)

Thanks.
yes - you need:

• Harness to connect aftermarket head unit to existing wiring = Parts Express part number 265-610, Metra part number 70-1771.
  • Head unit mounting kit - PAGAN MODEL NUMBER 1943/IK-5000 (mounts a typical aftermarket headunit into the LS dash hole).

Quik LS said:
yes - you need:

• Harness to connect aftermarket head unit to existing wiring = Parts Express part number 265-610, Metra part number 70-1771.
  • Head unit mounting kit - PAGAN MODEL NUMBER 1943/IK-5000 (mounts a typical aftermarket headunit into the LS dash hole).

Thanks Quik. I didn't know the Alpine unit was considered aftermarket. Of course, Ford has two different head units they put in other cars that had totally different wiring, so nothing surprises me.

lsbit said:
Thanks Quik. I didn't know the Alpine unit was considered aftermarket. Of course, Ford has two different head units they put in other cars that had totally different wiring, so nothing surprises me.
the parts I gave you is for her LS - to put an aftermarket system in it.

to take the alpine unit into your car may be a little more complicated - since the alpine can with 12 speakers and a sub-woofer rear amp that drives the rear subs. I have all the pin outs if you need them.

mespock said:
Hey buy your wife the new LS and you take hers!!! :Beer Then no Swap!!!

:) I am looking at a charcoal car and her's is the gold and she LOVES it. It figures too. I just finish doing the seals, waxing it...the works, and her car dies. Coincidence??? Hmmmm....

Maybe I will just go aftermarket and get an Alpine with XM and MP3. Anyone have pictures of how an aftermarket head unit looks in these cars?

Thanks on the pinout Quik. I'll let you know if I need it when I get the car!!

I don't know how it looks, but I sure loved mine in my Merq... the MP3 ability alone was worth it. I'm going out on a limb here, but isn't it possible to use component speakers and put them in the different locations in the LS, then use the bandpass filter (or splitter whichever you like to call it) to branch the 4 channels and sub out to the various locations in the car? I might be brain dead and somebody already suggested this... I ask because I'm probably gonna do just that, or at least try in my 2000 because the 6 disk changer in the glove box is real finicky on what it will play. It's more of a pain anymore; it plays a disk one day, then the next, it skips and barfs all over the place until you move upa disk then go back one. Strange.

kleetus said:
I don't know how it looks, but I sure loved mine in my Merq... the MP3 ability alone was worth it. I'm going out on a limb here, but isn't it possible to use component speakers and put them in the different locations in the LS, then use the bandpass filter (or splitter whichever you like to call it) to branch the 4 channels and sub out to the various locations in the car? I might be brain dead and somebody already suggested this... I ask because I'm probably gonna do just that, or at least try in my 2000 because the 6 disk changer in the glove box is real finicky on what it will play. It's more of a pain anymore; it plays a disk one day, then the next, it skips and barfs all over the place until you move upa disk then go back one. Strange.

Well, if I go aftermarket, I am going with an Alpine. I loved the Alpine I sold with my truck. It had one of the MP3 models and loved the functions and display. You could read it in bright sunlight and at night. I would be buying component speakers and amps with the bandpass filters built in, most likely. I don't see that being a problem, but I sure would like to keep it stock if I can. My wife's LS (still hard to type that) is the only stock system I have liked so far. If my CD changer was broken, I would splice into the line-in wires and run my MP3 player there instead. I think you would still have to have the CD changer working in order for that to work though. I haven't tried to hack it yet. :)

keep in mind that if u take out te stock hu and replace it with an aftermarket one your stock subs amp will be useless unless you power the speakers with an aftermarket amp also you will not be able to use your stock cd changer bc there are no wire adapters for them.

oh yeah and you will need to run new wire from your center console speakers to a new amp in order to hear them because thay will not be included in aftermarket wire harnesses.

LS4me said:
And your steering wheel controls won't work.
the LS does use standard controls in the steering wheel and you can buy adapter if needed.

Quik LS said:
the LS does use standard controls in the steering wheel and you can buy adapter if needed.

I think I remeber a thread about that adapter, but can't find it.

Can you give the manufacturer, model number and how you installed yours?

Members online

Back