Almost wrecked my 1998 last night - thanks to theives

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Coming home last night, I noticed a little shimmy in the steering wheel. Almost like a half flat tire. I pulled over and checked, and tire pressure seemed fine... I couldnt see anything obviously wrong, It was dark, so I couldnt see much...

I decided to take the car home so I could get a better look at it in the morning.... I drove real nice not wanting to make the problem worse. I turned a corner and the Passenger side front wheel flew completely OFF THE CAR. I skidded about 30 yards on my rotor alone before I was finally able to come to a stop - right in the middle of the intersection of course.

Got out to look - saw the wheel gone. Looked at the lugs - 1 lug pin missing completely, but the other 4 seemed fine - not stripped. Very odd I thought to myself. I called my Tow truck guy, and gave jibit a call so I could get a ride home. A handful of incredulous cops stopped to gawk.

Went to my mechanic today to explain to him why my car was in his lot. Right away he said it sounded like someone tried to steal my rims. We walked around the car and found a few more lug nuts missing from the driver side.

My guess is that they got to the locking nuts and gave up.

Dont know about damage yet. I do know the fender is shot. The rotor as well. We'll see what else is screwed up.

Good thing I wasnt doin 40-50 mph. I'd be dead or badly hurt.

Sh!T! You can't have anything nowadays! Good thing is that you weren't hurt. The car can be repaired. I guess your locking lugs saved you.

Damn Joey i know how you feel, that's why all Thieves should be SHOT. A person works hard for what they have and some lazy S.O.B. tries to steal it. The important thing is you are alright, keep us posted on the repairs.

sorry to hear about that joey i reccomend all lugs be locking have a different lock for each rim. lol so they cant take any lugs off

Wicked_LS said:
sorry to hear about that joey i reccomend all lugs be locking have a different lock for each rim. lol so they cant take any lugs off

Funny you say that, because I was just thinking the same thing... Buy 4 different sets of locking nuts....

Damn Joey.. You better move out here..... Unless you drive a truck they don't care....

Glad you are not hurt... would hate to see Bryan in charge of the site..

Glad your ok Joey. I wholeheartedly agree with Pepp. Just shoot the bastards, make sure they're dead, and tell the cops you were in fear for your life.

That sucks Joey sorry to hear about this, Thieves are pathetic. They can't even steal right either, which makes them even more pathetic. At least you're all right, thats what matters. Remember a car can be replaced.

wtf? good thing you are ok. that is the most important than some rims. also gald there was no damage to the mark!

JoeyLincolnMK8 said:
wtf? good thing you are ok. that is the most important than some rims. also gald there was no damage to the mark!

It was damaged. Rotor and fender at least, any updates Joey? Pics even?

JoeyLincolnMK8 said:

Well, I wouldnt say no damage. The passenger fender is shot. But yeah, other then that not much is damaged. With tow, its about $200 + the fender.

But yeah. Im alrgith, and easily could have been otherwise. Had I been going down RT 83 or the expressway at 60mph+ when the wheel came off ---- I hate to think about what could have been.

damn im off the site for a week and all hell breaks loose, glad you were ok joey too bad for the 98 but it is reparable

Joeychgo said:
Saved the rims anyway :)

Glad you're alright. That had to be pretty scarry. Well, you can make a very stylish hose reel from the rim!

Isn't there a man law that states that you don't F with a man's car?

Justifiable homicide. Glad you are OK!

We had rash of lug nut stealing perverts a year or so ago. They went into a shopping mall parking garage and took off all the lugs off one rim on a dozen or so cars - next thing you know tires everywhere. Had it on security camera but the feed was so bad it didn't do any good...bastards all!

Joeychgo said:

Coming home last night, I noticed a little shimmy in the steering wheel. Almost like a half flat tire. I pulled over and checked, and tire pressure seemed fine... I couldnt see anything obviously wrong, It was dark, so I couldnt see much...

I decided to take the car home so I could get a better look at it in the morning.... I drove real nice not wanting to make the problem worse. I turned a corner and the Passenger side front wheel flew completely OFF THE CAR. I skidded about 30 yards on my rotor alone before I was finally able to come to a stop - right in the middle of the intersection of course.

Got out to look - saw the wheel gone. Looked at the lugs - 1 lug pin missing completely, but the other 4 seemed fine - not stripped. Very odd I thought to myself. I called my Tow truck guy, and gave jibit a call so I could get a ride home. A handful of incredulous cops stopped to gawk.

Went to my mechanic today to explain to him why my car was in his lot. Right away he said it sounded like someone tried to steal my rims. We walked around the car and found a few more lug nuts missing from the driver side.

My guess is that they got to the locking nuts and gave up.

THANK GOD YOU'RE OK... THANK JAMLER YOU HAD WHEEL LOCKS!!
I SHOULD HAVE LEFT A MAGLITE IN THE GLOVE FOR YA... Geez Joey, wheels
don't shimmy for no reason... Again, thankfully your OK, thats why we have insurance...

Jamler3 said:
THANK GOD YOU'RE OK... THANK JAMLER YOU HAD WHEEL LOCKS!!
I SHOULD HAVE LEFT A MAGLITE IN THE GLOVE FOR YA... Geez Joey, wheels
don't shimmy for no reason... Again, thankfully your OK, thats why we have insurance...

Insurance was useless. I have a $1000 deductible. Damage was just about that.

And I know they dont shimmy for no reason, hence why I was slowly driving home. :)

glad you're not hurt, what part of the world is it that this happened so that other mark owners can prepare themseles for these morons?

DAMN Dude!! Remember my wheel incident at the Bar-b-q 2 years ago? Sounds the same. Have you had any of the wheels off lately?

Members online

Back