Alignment: Ford tech mounted two tires in 5x108 & 2 in 5x110

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have three questions:
1. Can re&re inner/outter tie replacement affect Caster? I would think no?

2. If the LF & RR tires were mounted in 5x108 and the RF & LR were mounted in 5x110 would this affect the tech trying to alignment the M8? I would think no, as the wheel is still mounted to the rotors? (some how both patterns fit) I was working offsite from the dealership and should have keep a closer watch.

3. Can the printout be incorrect? I saw the caster numbers change (go from red to green), but the printout he gave me shows them back in the red and out of spec.. once he completed. He said it was brand new machine and he wasn't sure why the printout wasn't updating. It did look brand new.

How this took place:
I took my M8 into Ford for an alignment after I replaced the inner/otter tie rod ends. They had a special on for free balancing with alignment, so he re&re tires to balance all.

My aftermarket rims have two bolt patterns as per above. He mounted the left side with one rim in each of the two patterns, same on the right side. My M8 was aligned a year and a half ago at 118000 miles after upper/Lower control arms, and SRB's. Now 133595 miles and he said the Caster was off. He heated up the strut rod nuts as he couldn't get them loose.

I always like to have the M8 clean before taking her in, but it rained just before my appointment. Rims are dirty and a bit hard to tell.

20180628_225324.jpg

20180628_225307.jpg

20180628_225201.jpg

20180628_225122.jpg

20180629_135008.jpg

I've always heard you want as much caster as possible, so I don't think I'd lose sleep over it. Could just be a glitch in the software?

I have three questions:

2. If the LF & RR tires were mounted in 5x108 and the RF & LR were mounted in 5x110 would this affect the tech trying to alignment the M8? I would think no, as the wheel is still mounted to the rotors? (some how both patterns fit) I was working offsite from the dealership and should have keep a closer watch.

3. Can the printout be incorrect? I saw the caster numbers change (go from red to green), but the printout he gave me shows them back in the red and out of spec.. once he completed. He said it was brand new machine and he wasn't sure why the printout wasn't updating. It did look brand new.

How this took place:
I took my M8 into Ford for an alignment after I replaced the inner/otter tie rod ends. They had a special on for free balancing with alignment, so he re&re tires to balance all.

My aftermarket rims have two bolt patterns as per above. He mounted the left side with one rim in each of the two patterns, same on the right side. My M8 was aligned a year and a half ago at 118000 miles after upper/Lower control arms, and SRB's. Now 133595 miles and he said the Caster was off. He heated up the strut rod nuts as he couldn't get them loose.

I always like to have the M8 clean before taking her in, but it rained just before my appointment. Rims are dirty and a bit hard to tell.

View attachment 828569944

View attachment 828569945
I have three questions:

How this took place:

View attachment 828569944

View attachment 828569945

View attachment 828569946

View attachment 828569947

View attachment 828569948

View attachment 828569946

View attachment 828569947

View attachment 828569948
What is 5-108 numbers stand for? Try calling or take the sheet to the shop and ask them what the red zones now indicate. Replacing tie rod ends if done carefully by marking the rods or counting threads can keep the alignment very close to previous alignment. It can change the steering much only if new ones are set way too far from the old ones distances markings.Being on a precision machine they likely are set correctly. I am planning to have my MK front end done. What did tire rods cost.? What did did control arms cost? I see the before rear degrees are near equal to the after rear degrees. The right rear was -1.2 deg now -1.2 deg same as before. I doubt tire by themselves can change the car's settings. Call the shop and ask as they deal with this all the time. Personally I prefer orginal mark wheels as these expose the brake hardware . They look good

What is 5-108 numbers stand for
That is the bolt pattern of the M8. The rims are dual bolt pattern, thus can fit two cars. Personally I dislike dual bolt patterns (don't like seeing 10 bolt holes) I do like deep dish wheels and got a great deal on these. Plus with the black stripe, it sort of looks more like a design than a bolt hole to me. Up close, dirty and without the Lincoln center caps, they do not look good to me. I will post some pics with them clean and center caps back in.

As driller said caster is fine.
Why is the rr camber not fixed ?
Hey tried to adjust that and I watched it go into the green momentarily then back into the red. He said it was eccentric bushing that was defective. Said I would have to replace complete upper control arm.

You can replace just the bushings fairly cheap I've done them before
Just need a press

Hey tried to adjust that and I watched it go into the green momentarily then back into the red. He said it was eccentric bushing that was defective. Said I would have to replace complete upper control arm.
was thinking about this - with the front you adjust and then tighten the bolt/nut - for the rear he just turned the bolt, it went into the green, then he took the wrench off and it went back into the red. Do you not have to tighten the rear once adjusted, just like the rest?

You can replace just the bushings fairly cheap I've done them before
Just need a press
Thanks, that I do not have. it is right on the line. If it gets worse, I will remove both arms and take them to a machine shop. I wonder what the odds are of buying a used one and installing. I would think it would be close to what i have now and rather by the bushing for around 45 usd each.

Members online

No members online now.
Back