Alarm when opening trunk

LDM

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
In the last couple weeks sometimes when I use the FOB to open the trunk the alarm goes off. There are no messages on the dash about a door or trunk ajar. Lot's of times it works fine. The only time the alarm has gone off is when the trunk is opened. If it was the trunk switch, wouldn't it show on the dash in the message center? Anyone know how to fix this?

In the last couple weeks sometimes when I use the FOB to open the trunk the alarm goes off. There are no messages on the dash about a door or trunk ajar. Lot's of times it works fine. The only time the alarm has gone off is when the trunk is opened. If it was the trunk switch, wouldn't it show on the dash in the message center? Anyone know how to fix this?

Are you opening the trunk with the alarm set?

Every great once in a while, either of mine will do this. I think it's a bug in the factory alarm code.

As for the other post, it is correct operation to be able to unlock the trunk with the remote fob while the alarm is armed. Hitting the trunk button is supposed to disarm the alarm.

Yes the alarm is active, as I use the FOB to lock the car. I just got in the trunk using the FOB twice today with no problem. I will just have to let it go and not address it. Thanks for the responses.

If you just open the trunk with the alarm still armed (the unlock button wasn't pushed) it's possible to trigger the alarm. If the deck lid is the least bit unlatched it will trigger the alarm. I believe that info is in the OM. The only way to disarm the system is to press the unlock button.

If you just open the trunk with the alarm still armed (the unlock button wasn't pushed) it's possible to trigger the alarm. If the deck lid is the least bit unlatched it will trigger the alarm. I believe that info is in the OM. The only way to disarm the system is to press the unlock button.

I request that you site the page in the manual saying this. I surely missed it. It's odd too that using the trunk button on the remote does in fact disarm the alarm (at least for the trunk function) 99 times out of 100 for me.

From my owner's manual.

Arming the system
When armed, this system will respond if unauthorized entry is
attempted. When unauthorized entry occurs, the system will flash the
turn signal lamps and will sound the horn.
The system is ready to arm whenever key is removed from the ignition.
Any of the following actions will prearm the alarm system:
• Press the control on the remote entry transmitter.
• Press the driver or passenger interior power door lock control while
that respective door is open, then close the door.
• Lock the vehicle with the key in the driver’s door key cylinder.
• Lock the vehicle by pressing the 7 • 8 and the 9 • 0 on the keypad at
the same time (with the driver’s door closed).
Theft indicator
When the vehicle is locked using one of the listed methods, the theft
indicator located on the instrument panel will flash briefly every 2
seconds to indicate that the perimeter alarm system is armed.
Disarming the system
You can disarm the system by any of the following actions:
• Unlock the doors by pressing the control on your remote entry
transmitter.
• Unlock the doors with a key. Turn the key full travel (toward the front
of the vehicle) to ensure the alarm disarms.
• Unlock the doors by entering the factory-set code or any of the three
custom codes into the keyless entry keypad.
• Turn the ignition to the 4 (RUN) position with a SecuriLock coded
key.
Triggering the anti-theft system
The armed system will be triggered if any door, the trunk or the hood is
opened without using the key, the remote entry transmitter or valid
keypad code.

Locks and Security

Note that not only is there no warning saying that you have to press unlock on the remote to disarm it, it says that you can disarm it by using the key, the keypad, the remote, or turning the ignition on.
This is the way that you would suspect that it should work.

From my owner's manual.

Arming the system
When armed, this system will respond if unauthorized entry is
attempted. When unauthorized entry occurs, the system will flash the
turn signal lamps and will sound the horn.
The system is ready to arm whenever key is removed from the ignition.
Any of the following actions will prearm the alarm system:
• Press the control on the remote entry transmitter.
• Press the driver or passenger interior power door lock control while
that respective door is open, then close the door.
• Lock the vehicle with the key in the driver’s door key cylinder.
• Lock the vehicle by pressing the 7 • 8 and the 9 • 0 on the keypad at
the same time (with the driver’s door closed).
Theft indicator
When the vehicle is locked using one of the listed methods, the theft
indicator located on the instrument panel will flash briefly every 2
seconds to indicate that the perimeter alarm system is armed.
Disarming the system
You can disarm the system by any of the following actions:
• Unlock the doors by pressing the control on your remote entry
transmitter.
• Unlock the doors with a key. Turn the key full travel (toward the front
of the vehicle) to ensure the alarm disarms.
• Unlock the doors by entering the factory-set code or any of the three
custom codes into the keyless entry keypad.
• Turn the ignition to the 4 (RUN) position with a SecuriLock coded
key.
Triggering the anti-theft system
The armed system will be triggered if any door, the trunk or the hood is
opened without using the key, the remote entry transmitter or valid
keypad code.

Locks and Security

Note that not only is there no warning saying that you have to press unlock on the remote to disarm it, it says that you can disarm it by using the key, the keypad, the remote, or turning the ignition on.
This is the way that you would suspect that it should work.

There you go. You must unlock the DOORS to disarm the system.

There you go. You must unlock the DOORS to disarm the system.

I agree that the wording is not 100% clear one way or the other. I disagree that it says that you must unlock the doors to disarm it. It does say that unlocking a door will disarm it, but it doesn't say that is the only way. In fact, it says that turning the key on will disarm it. It also says that you can unlock the doors with a key or with the keypad, whereas you said that it could only be done using the "unlock button." Note too that it says using the remote transmitter, and not specifically the door unlock button.

If you were correct, then we should all complain to Ford about the faulty alarm system since 99 times out of 100 opening the trunk with the remote, while the alarm is armed, without pressing the unlock button first does not result in an alarm.

I think that it is much more likely that the malfunction is the 1 time in a hundred that the alarm does go off.

I agree with joe. Everytime i lock my car and just use the pop trunk feature on my FOB, the trunk will pop with no alarm. In fact, when you are done and close the trunk - the vehicle rearms and flashes again (or so it appears).

Yes the trunk rearms itself after the trunk is reclosed. so yes using the fob does not disarm the whole system just the trunk.

Yes the trunk rearms itself after the trunk is reclosed. so yes using the fob does not disarm the whole system just the trunk.

Better said. Have you tried opening the door from the inside after setting the alarm? The alarm will sound.

Members online

No members online now.
Back