Airbag leaking from top of strut! Help please

dukesboy88

LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced my factory passenger airstrut wit a used aftermarket/arnott strut however there is a leak coming from the top of the strut. is there anyway to fix this

Where from the top? Did you lube the O-rings with dielectric grease? Does the new strut have the Arnott specific O-rings installed?

I recently replaced my factory passenger airstrut wit a used aftermarket/arnott strut however there is a leak coming from the top of the strut. is there anyway to fix this

Do you mean the thick bushing below the nut on the very top? If so I had the same problem when I bought a used Arnott set. It was junk. The new arnotts have a metal cap on top now.

Had a buddy successfully silicone the top before on a factory one
Held for at least a year

there is no fix for it unless you want to jump on Ed Hall's fail band wagon, find another one. once that bushing splits and leaks, its junk.

there is no fix for it unless you want to jump on Ed Hall's fail band wagon, find another one. once that bushing splits and leaks, its junk.

Yep. It's done for. But, playing devil's advocate, the green slime won't work in this instance, because the leak is at the top of the shock. The slime settles to the bottom, therefore it would be useless.

I took the strut off and looked at it and it appears to be coming from the bushing under the nut on the top. Im goin to try and use silicone and if it doesnt hold i'll be replacing it. I have an extra bag from arnott for the driver's side in good condition. Does anyone know if it'll work on the passenger side

Just to set the record straight, it has not failed yet. The treated bags are still holding air just fine after 1.5 years since treating them.

I took the strut off and looked at it and it appears to be coming from the bushing under the nut on the top. Im goin to try and use silicone and if it doesnt hold i'll be replacing it. I have an extra bag from arnott for the driver's side in good condition. Does anyone know if it'll work on the passenger side

Nope. D/S and P/S won't interchange.

silicone wont work, because that bushing moves as the car travels up and down as normal suspension does, thats why they split over time because they have the whole weight of the front end on them. and as far as your bags go ed i dont care if they hold air for 20 more years you are a complete jack ass.

because we only need one moron on here, you wear that badge well, just dont want to see another member slime up his whole air ride and wreck it all. dont worry, you are a genius since you have pulled it off this long, we all envy you.

because we only need one moron on here, you wear that badge well, just dont want to see another member slime up his whole air ride and wreck it all. dont worry, you are a genius since you have pulled it off this long, we all envy you.

Treating the air bags with tire sealant has saved myself and others a bundle of money in this bad economy. I haven't had any problems with it wrecking anything. Could you give some sources to back up your claim of it wrecking it all?

The thread has already been slimed. Lets get back on track before it also gets locked.

img_mN3rzl.jpg

ed just go tow some farm equipment with your car, you'll have your sources when you have to service your car again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back