Air Conditioner noise

LDM

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I searched with "Air Condition", "Air Conditioning", "Air Conditioner", "A/C" using the built in seach and googles advanced seach already...

I turn everything off (A/C, Radio). Turn the car off. Turn the car on... all sounds good. Turn the A/C on and with 5 seconds I hear it make metal noises for a short while when the A/C clutch kicks in. Sounds ok after it's running, and works and cools fine.

Am I looking at replacing the whole air conditioner/compressor etc... or can just the clutch or bearings be fixed/replaced?

Anyone notice how loud the LS is with the A/C running hardcore?

Man I stepped into a convenience store and left it running and got back out and I thought it was the jeep next to me that was so loud, but turns out it was my LS! Freaken jet-engine lol

It's under the hood in the front. When I am in the car when the sound occurs it sounds like it's on the drivers side.

Thanks joegr!

I see the following on TascaParts/RockAuto:

Clutch plate and hub assy, ls8 $36.70 (RockAuto $34.79)
Clutch coil, ls8 $45.03 (RockAuto $42.79)
Pulley, ls8 $54.81 (RockAuto $51.79)

What would really be needed... all 3 of the above? Anything else?

Anybody tried these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UAC-...its=Make:Lincoln|Model:LS&hash=item3f0a70a4f7

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rema...its=Make:Lincoln|Model:LS&hash=item3f0a20075c

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rema...its=Make:Lincoln|Model:LS&hash=item3f0a121989

The clutch might just be worn causing it to slip. If you look in the diagram linked above the shims are item 3 on the diagram. You might try popping the clutch off and removing one of the shims and seeing what happens. Replacing the compressor seems excessive when it sounds like it works good and the problem is in the clutch.

The parts listed above came to $130... one of the new compressors listed above was $156 and it includes the clutch... so I wondered if it was worth just getting clutch parts...

I see the following on TascaParts/RockAuto:

Clutch plate and hub assy, ls8 $36.70 (RockAuto $34.79)
Clutch coil, ls8 $45.03 (RockAuto $42.79)
Pulley, ls8 $54.81 (RockAuto $51.79)

What would really be needed... all 3 of the above? Anything else?

Anybody tried these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UAC-...its=Make:Lincoln|Model:LS&hash=item3f0a70a4f7

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rema...its=Make:Lincoln|Model:LS&hash=item3f0a20075c

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rema...its=Make:Lincoln|Model:LS&hash=item3f0a121989

I would think that you just need "Clutch plate and hub assy, ls8 $36.70 (RockAuto $34.79)."

Anyone notice how loud the LS is with the A/C running hardcore?

Man I stepped into a convenience store and left it running and got back out and I thought it was the jeep next to me that was so loud, but turns out it was my LS! Freaken jet-engine lol

Yup the engine fan kicks on to high.

Other cars are damn near silent with the ac on.

LDM if you can spare the money than I would go for the motorcraft one for sure its a Ford part, I have a reman in my car and its only been 8 months and my ac is broken but I think it may be the condensor or a leak somewhere else, My old compressor made alot of noise as well.

LDM if you can spare the money than I would go for the motorcraft one for sure its a Ford part, I have a reman in my car and its only been 8 months and my ac is broken but I think it may be the condensor or a leak somewhere else, My old compressor made alot of noise as well.

Did you completely flush the system when the old compressor failed?
A noisy compressor usually means that it is spreading little bits of metal everywhere. If you replace it without doing a really good flush, the bits of metal will kill the new compressor in a few months.

I have been looking at the Motorcraft part(s) thinking that is the way to go too (I've only used great parts so far, why stop now). I question if some local shop will put these on though if I bring in my own A/C parts. I might have to make some calls locally to find someone that will do it first, and then get the parts later.

I really need these repairs to calm down, there has been too many back to back in 5 months since I bought it. I keep thinking I have to be close to being done, so I just keep replacing parts. I was told by 3 dealerships right after I bought it that it's in great shape and was well maintained. It may have been, but it's in much better shape now! Being unemployed for the last 26 months, these repairs are getting to me now though...

My compressor has made a ticking noise for the last 105K miles. Still works though...

Back to this issue, A/C compressor making noise (not just clutch according to dealer).

Assuming there are metal parts in the system now (I read threads back to 2007 on A/C compressor issues)... what needs replaced besides the compressor, clutch, clutch pulley, clutch coil, clutch hub, receiver/dryer and a good flush?

I don't want to replace some parts and have the new parts fail because I missed replacing something allowing existing old metal fragments to still be in the system.

I don't see a thread listing what A/C parts you really should replace to do it right.

I see some members said their new compressor went out because they didn't replace everything else and didn't get it flushed out correctly etc... so what is the list of A/C parts to do it right?

I will have the dealer do it, just want to get the parts elsewhere first (they want $1800-$2000 including labor - but didn't provide a part list). I've had them install my own parts before that I got elsewhere, so that is not an issue. I am staying with Motorcraft parts.

I've got the basic parts listed above quoted from RockAuto & Max etc, but that's for a normal replacement before metal stuff got sent around the system. I want to plan for worst case scenario and get any other parts needed.

Alright you do not want to pay 2k to replace a noise a/c compressor,

dont worry so much about the brand yes oem is always best but most remanufactured compressors come with the same warranty as the oem at half the price (i own a repair shop and install oem and remans all day long i dont have complaints on either).

as far as doing a full a/c job you would replace

A/C compressor
Dryer
Expansion valve

Flush evaporator and condenser along with lines

Add new pag46 oil to compressor vacuum and fill w r134a

an independent shop should be more than capable to perform this repair for around $1000 or less

main thing would be to look at the oil from the old compressor, what you want to see is clean green oil, now if u see metal shavings then your in for some :q:q:q:q

Have an independent shop pull the compressor and see what they find in oil, while you see them pull it off.

all you do once you have the compressor in your hands is grab a clean container collect some oil, turn the compressor so the line hook ups are facing down and let the oil drain, then inspect the oil.

if you find no metal shavings and the oil that comes out is clean you can get away by just replacing the compressor, a deep vacuum on the system and recharge.

The dealer will ALWAYS sell you a full a/c job no matter how little the problem and rape you for $2000

Thanks for the info! Guess I will add an expansion valve to the list. If I replace everything with the parts I listed above plus the expansion valve and have it flushed/vacuumed and recharged that should be the safest way to go - a full A/C job (regardless of the condition of the compressor and it's oil and metal fragments).

now if u see metal shavings then your in for some :q:q:q:q

The steps and parts listed above should fix that :q:q:q:q?

LDM I pretty much replaced what lincoln ls_250k

A/C compressor
Dryer
Expansion valve

at a local shop for 600 but I purchased the compressor myself and they did everthing else.

I later had an issue that seemed like it would be the DCCV and it actually turned out to be the scrader valve on one of the ac lines it now blows ice cold in 95 FL degree weather.

then you would have to break the piggy cuz you would have to replace the condenser and the evaporator and that = big money evaporator means u gotta pull the dash 8.3 hours of labor + the condenser

Metal shavings and dirty compressor oil = add condensor & evaporator to parts list.
(can't just Flush evaporator and condenser along with lines)

you can flush the condenser and the evaporator core but u wont get all the shavings out, this also happens when the desiccant bag in the dryer breaks you get silica balls like the ones you find in shoe boxes when u get new kicks all over the system.

but its impossible to get all of the debris out so u just replace the parts.

Thank you lincoln ls_250k and manoli for the info.

Guess maybe I should take it to the dealer and let them pull the compressor and check the A/C compressor oil color and for metal shavings and go from there... as that's the only way to tell what really needs to be replaced. I could order some parts upfront, and have them get the rest if needed at the time.

Afraid of going to an independant A/C shop (don't know of any reputable ones), and I don't want any shortcuts taken. Some shops here seem to have issues trying to work on my LS when they aren't used to working on one.

Members online

No members online now.
Back