Air bag patch

Holy thread revival. Thought it looked familiar!

We'll never not have bags, I don't think. Struts may be a different problem.

I don't mind these things, for it allows the real enthusiasts to get innovative, which is what hobby cars are supposed to be about anyways! Anybody that wants one for a daily.. lol, good luck, gonna get expensive. I think there's too many of these on the road as it is, and all beat up, I hate it. People shouldn't be allowed to drive them, makes mine look like a polished turd when one that's only ever been 'drove' is near. Lol

I tried fix-a-flat in '97 Town Car 120'' strech limo. It was OK for a week or so and than the same bag developed a huge leak anyway. Maybe it's becouse of the limo weight but it was a temporary fix. I was also worried that fix-a-flat will get back to the entire system, but when I took the solenoid out it was clean.

I think that what happened to my Mark VIII last Saturday should be a warning that it's not about a leak but the whole structure of the bag simply gets weak with age/mileage.

S6302999.JPG

I think that what happened to my Mark VIII last Saturday should be a warning that it's not about a leak but the whole structure of the bag simply gets weak with age/mileage.

Holy.

I think that bag lived a life on a gravel road and rarely got the wheel wells washed out.

I saw that happen to a bag that someone wiped down with brake fluid in hopes to get the pin holes to "reseal"...
It lasted about 2 weeks, then exploded.

Coming from our resident explosion expert I'll take that as a comment!
(lol)
How would you rate an air bag explosion on a scale of 1-10?

Holy.

I think that bag lived a life on a gravel road and rarely got the wheel wells washed out.

It's not a thing of gravel road, just a little tough winter this year. Wheel wells are rather clean, but not behind the wheel where the pressure washer doesn't reach.

I saw that happen to a bag that someone wiped down with brake fluid in hopes to get the pin holes to "reseal"...
It lasted about 2 weeks, then exploded.

BRAKE FLUID!?!?!?!?! Good God man! I set a bottle of brake fluid on the fender of a '69 Cougar I used to have a couple of decades ago. It left a ring of peeling paint when I picked it up. It had only been sitting there a couple of minutes. A good lesson to be learned: don't put brake fluid on anything that you don't want destroyed! :)

brake fluid is an old mechanic's trick-swells up seals and gaskets to stop leaks, kind of a 'last chance" fix-that and a certain other common substance are very good at starting a nasty delayed chemical fire too-paint is not even a challenge.

Members online

Back