Air Bag Light #35

Aquabrit

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Got an annoying intermittent problem. Every now and then, i get the SRS air bag light flashing, giving me code 35. If i turn off the car and restart, it disappears. :confused:

According to the Tccoa forum tech page, code 35 is Passenger side air bag low resistance or short in circuit.

Any tips to diagnose / fix this? seems odd that it is not a constant thing. Thanks!

Hi Unity! Yeah, seems good - no warning lights, never had a dead battery etc. Its been doing this for months, its just doing it more now. Seems weird to me that if i start the car and it flashes, i switch off and start again and all is well, everytime. I have a multimeter, so i will check the volts at the battery when its running tomorrow. (should be around 14.4V)

Please do. For some reason AirBag codes are often the first sign of a failing charging system. Not sure why though.

If it was driver's side bag I would say clock spring.

Yup, i will tomorrow. I hoped it would be the clockspring! lol But yeah, horn still works, plus pass side code. Im pretty sure the charging system is good, as this has been going on for months and i haven't had a serious electrical issue yet (touch wood) Will report back with the voltage results. ( battery alone and battery with car running)

Sup unity! Tested the charging system. All seems good.

Battery (car off) 12.5V

Battery (car running) 14.5V

Battery (car running with all accessories on) 13.5V

I searched all the different Lincoln forums and found one explanation for code #35. (pertained to a 93' TC, but similar thing, probably same system)

DTC B1935: PASSENGER SIDE AIR BAG CIRCUIT LOW RESISTANCE OR SHORTED--LAMP FAULT CODE 35

Normal Operation

Note: The air bag connector and the air bag diagnostic monitor harness connector have metal spring clips that act as shorting bars. These shorting bars are built into the plastic hardshell connectors. The shorting bars are designed to short Circuits 607 (LB/O) and 616 (PK/BK) together when the connectors are not mated. Do not attempt to remove the air bag shorting bar and measure the resistance of the air bag module.

The shorting bar(s) in the air bag diagnostic monitor harness connector may be removed by removing the black spacer (locking wedge) from the connector. Use extreme caution when reinstalling the spacers to make sure they are installed correctly.

While the ignition switch is in the RUN position, the air bag diagnostic monitor runs periodic checks on the resistance of the driver and passenger air bag circuits.

l Normal resistance from Pin C277-5, Circuit 607 (LB/O)(passenger air bag feed) to Pin C277-4, Circuit 616 (PK/BK)(passenger air bag return) is between 0.9 ohm and 1.2 ohms.

l This resistance consists of the passenger air bag module resistance (approximately 1.0 ohm) plus a small amount of resistance due to the wire itself, crimps, etc.

l If the resistance across Pins C277-5, Circuit 607 (LB/O) and C277-4, Circuit 616 (PK/BK) is less than 0.7 ohm, the air bag diagnostic monitor will interpret this as a low resistance and the air bag diagnostic monitor will store in memory DTC B1935 and flash lamp fault code 35 on the AIR BAG indicator.

l If the low resistance is later serviced or otherwise rises into the normal range, a DTC B1935 will be stored in memory.

Possible Causes

Low resistance across Pins C277-5, Circuit 607 (LB/O) and C277-4, Circuit 616 (PK/BK) can be caused by:

l a poorly mated air bag connector or air bag diagnostic monitor harness connector which may not push the shorting bars back into their fully retracted position.

l a damaged or worn shorting bar which may short Circuit 607 (LB/O) and 616 (PK/BK).

l a short in the harness wires between Circuits 607 (LB/O) and 616 (PK/BK).

l a short circuit or low resistance in the passenger side air bag module. Do not attempt a direct resistance measurement of the air bag module. Follow the diagnostic procedure to determine if the air bag module resistance is lower than normal.

² B1935-1: CHECK FOR HARD OR INTERMITTENT DTC
² B1935-2: CHECK DTC
² B1935-3: CHECK RESISTANCE
² B1935-4: CHECK FOR SERVICED DTCS
² B1935-5: CHECK SHORTING BARS
² B1935-6: CHECK CIRCUITS 607 (LB/O) AND 616 (PK/BK)
² B1935-7: CHECK FOR OTHER DTCS

I can't make 'head nor tail' of this Ford explanation. Any idea where to begin? What the heck are shorting bars?

I suppose if all else fails, i could disconnect the battery for a few mins and start looking at connectors and stuff at the passenger side system. Dunno, im lost! Lol. I really must get myself a proper Ford workshop manual and some circuit diagrams!

Figured id bump this back up, as i have no idea where to begin. Any suggestions?

Any idea where the passenger bag connectors / shorting bars and monitoring module / circuits live? Once i know where to look, i can disconnect the battery and start some resistance checks and unplugging and replugging in connectors etc.

Any ideas on how to SAFELY remove the passenger air bag? If i can get that out, i can trace the wires back from there and have a look around.

Voltages look ok. Is the passenger bag on a separate fuse maybe?

I've seen some corroded air bag sensors in the front bumper area before.

You might want to take a look at those. The bracket might be corroded causing a bad ground too.

Unity: Not sure - will check out the fuses though.

Biilcu: Thanks for the tip - i will check out the sensors and do some ground cleaning.

Im gonna see jamie97lsc tomorrow, so if the above doesn't work, he can show me how to disconnect / remove passenger bag. That way, i can check out these shortening bars and hopefully access the full wiring harness.

Thanks guys! :)

HEY ! I get the same code man! what it is:
if you run your drivers seat forward all the way...
It stretches the cord under your seat. it has little pink boots on it.
this gets dislodged.
I have the same problem, havent fixxed it, but thats where it is. i took it to the place i bought it and they :q:q:q:qed with it. went off for a day, after i put my seat all the way forward it came back :-/

mine was the same code. i have a 2000 lincoln LS.
Connector under drivers seat.
please correct me if I am wrong, I surely hope I am right.

whoops i did not mean to drop the F bomb. Shouldnt have done that, sorry, i'll watch what I type next time

not even same car, i am sorry for being fool if i made one of myself

not even same car, i am sorry for being fool if i made one of myself

Haha! No problem, Kevin! I read your thread on the LS page - yours is a different, but common LS air bag problem - should be an easy fix for you. Hopefully i'll have this one 'sussed out' soon enough! Thanks anyway! :)

thanks. my post got deleted or something though maybe. I went to look for it but could not find it anymore. plus no replies :-/

Had to bump this one up... Blue on blue... did you ever figure this problem out? I have the same problem right now and would love to figure out what is wrong with it. I have looked at all of the related threads and cannot find any others about airbag error 35 and how to fix it. any help is appreciated.

Hi ruswin! It has been very intermittant - some days it didn't do it at all!

I have been doing some work on my car and have had the battery disconnected - took it for a good drive a couple of weeks ago and no light! :)

You could try cleaning up the crash sensors, like billcu mentioned and maybe try disconnecting the battery for a few mins.

I'll keep you updated. In the mean time, give those things a try.

Edit: If doing anything on the air bag system, be sure to have had the battery disconnected for a few mins first and use extreme caution!!!

bumping this again. mine started doing this also. strangely enough, the day after i installed my HID headlights.

This one has me puzzled... it went away for quite a while but its back again. Always the same: Start up, light flashes, turn off and restart - all normal. Makes me wonder if its a fault with the computer itself. Mine started this game over a year ago - long before the HIDs.

found a "semi" fix. i noticed that the air bag light ONLY flashes if i put the key in and just start the car. but........ if i turn the key to ON just for a couple of seconds BEFORE i start the car, NO LIGHT!

I usually start my car that way. Some weeks, it won't do it at all. Guess i'll have a play with it again sometime.

Well, after disconnecting the battery and waiting a few minutes i removed the driver and passenger airbags, did the resistance checks in the harnesses, (not the bags) opened up the airbag computer to check for melted components, cleaned up all the harness and computer pins and checked and cleaned the shorting bars. No more code 35! :)

Things To Note:

Never mess with the airbag system until the battery has been disconnected for a few minutes.
Never probe the bag units themselves - once removed, put them in the trunk, out of harms way.

Shorting Bars

They are nothing more than metal spring clips at the airbag ends of the 2 pin connectors - they short across the pins if the harness connectors aren't fully seated.

Airbag Computer

Located on a bracket to the right of the glovebox - i took glovebox door off for ease of access. My computer is bright blue. (can't speak for all other years but likely the same)

Driver's Airbag Removal

Held by 2 bolts. (can't remember size) One either side of steering wheel, under plastic caps that pry off.

Passenger Airbag Removal

Total pita!!! Front Fascias have to come off. Held by bolts at front and underneath. See this picture:

DSC03362.jpg

All is well for now... But, I'm not holding my breath. If that dang light returns, then it has to be either an internal computer fault, or a fault with the passenger airbag unit. Neither of those items are serviceable, so, I would just have to replace them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back