Air bag code

JaMan

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the air bag codes stand for on a 2000 LS V8? When the car is cranked, the air bag light flashes 3 times pauses then flashes 6 times. It does this several times then stays on. Is this something I can fix or do I have to take a trip to the dealer?
Thanks

Well this is all I got from that. I will check some more sources. However, I would never recommend that a DIYer work on the SRS ever. Please have the dealer diag and repair this one.

Determining if the system is operational
The SRS uses a readiness light in the instrument cluster or a tone to
indicate the condition of the system. Refer to the Air bag readiness
section in the Instrumentation chapter. Routine maintenance of the air
bag is not required.
A difficulty with the system is indicated by one or more of the following:
² The readiness light will either
flash or stay lit.
² The readiness light will not
illuminate immediately after
ignition is turned to the RUN
position.
² A series of five beeps will be heard. The tone pattern will repeat
periodically until the problem and/or light are repaired.
If any of these things happen, even intermittently, have the SRS serviced
at your dealership or by a qualified technician immediately. Unless
serviced, the system may not function properly in the event of a
collision.

Here's some more:

"When the ignition is cycled (turned off and then on), the air bag indicator will remain lit for six seconds and then go out. If an SRS fault exists, the air bag indicator will then flash the two-digit LFC associated with that fault. The air bag indicator will flash the LFC five times, then remain illuminated for the rest of the key cycle. The RCM will also communicate the current and historical DTCs through the data link connector (DLC), using the New Generation Star (NGS) Tester. If the air bag indicator does not function, and the system detects a fault condition, the RCM will signal the instrument cluster to activate an audible chime. The chime is a series of five sets of five tone bursts. If the chime is heard, the SRS and the air bag indicator require repair.
LFCs are prioritized. If two or more faults occur at the same time, the fault having the highest priority will be displayed first. After that fault has been corrected, the next highest priority fault will be displayed. "
Your flash of 3-6 means:
DTC:B1995 LFC:36 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low

Could be a clockspring - the plastic gearing at the top of the steering column that the wiring passes through from the airbag to the dash.

man if that is the case... didnt you just post a how to for removal and repair? If it is the same steps I very well could be a DIY job. Hoenestly though I fear working on air bags. I have seen what they can do to people. Where a face shield is all I can recommend.

Quik LS said:
[/indent]Your flash of 3-6 means:

did you find this in the shop book? If so was it the wiring diagram book or the Vol I/II repair manual.

yep - I've replaced mine once.

working around the airbag isn't that bad - just make sure there is no power.

a replacement clockspring is about $100 and takes about 30mins to replace.

to replace the clockspring:
- disconnect the battery and let sit for 10mins
- remove the airbag by removing the two bolts (one on each side) of the steering wheel (under a plastic plug), then electrically disconnect the airbag
- remove the horn trigger by removing the four hex bolts
- unplug the radio/airbag connector
- remove the steering wheel by removing the torx bolt and you'll need a 2-prong wheel puller to pry it off the steering column
- remove the plastic steering column covers

- the rest is fairly straigh forward - a couple of screw to remove the clockspring and some tough to reach connectors.

I have never removed the steeing wheel on any car but most require the puller. How do you reinstall it though?

eL eS said:
I have never removed the steeing wheel on any car but most require the puller. How do you reinstall it though?

easy - push it on, then use a tourque wrech to 28 ft-lbs

awesome. Thanks for the tech tips. only 930 am and I have already learned how to fix three new problems if they ever occur. :Beer

so.... you will not ever see me post for this subject. I copied the how-to to a text file for future reference, backed it up, made a copy on another drive and encrypted to prevent tampering.

:)

Your flash of 3-6 means:

Could be a clockspring - the plastic gearing at the top of the steering column that the wiring passes through from the airbag to the dash.

Thanks for the info.

AirBag LFC Code 32

JaMan said:
Your flash of 3-6 means:

Thanks for the info.

I thought this might have been the problem with my car, but my LFC is 32 not 36. Does anyone know if this still is suggestive of the clockspring? Also, I looked through the LS factory manual and didn't see any mention of a clockspring. Does anyone know if this is the same as the Sliding Airbag Contact?

DTC:B1932 LFC:32 Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance High

sounds like the same issues - driver seat wiring or clockspring

Quik LS said:
DTC:B1932 LFC:32 Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance High

sounds like the same issues - driver seat wiring or clockspring
Ok, so the clockspring and sliding airbox contact are synonymous?

What is the deal with the drivers seat wiring? My car flashed code 36, and I replaced the clock spring. It still flashes that code! One more question. Do you have to clear anything with a scanner after you install the new part?

Tim

TimHixson said:
Do you have to clear anything with a scanner after you install the new part?

Tim

nope. It performs the check on startup - the SRS light on the dash always comes on while the check is running - then should turnoff in about 3secs once it passes.

now - you had to disconnect the battery during the install anyway.

BatMobile said:
Ok, so the clockspring and sliding airbox contact are synonymous?

I have no idea what 'sliding airbox' means.... never heard of it.

The clockspring sits on top of the steering column allows wires for the radio controls and airbag to pass through into the steering wheel - allowing the electrical connectors to stay connected while the steering wheel turns. It's a complicated folding of a ribbon cable.

Thanks, I found the broke wire under the seat. Does ford have a replacement plug for that yellow connector?

TimHixson said:
Thanks, I found the broke wire under the seat. Does ford have a replacement plug for that yellow connector?

Was the wire broken inside or outside of the yellow connector? I'm trying to save myself some extra work if possible. The mechanics at the Linc. dealership told me to really check good for the connector and I didn't visually see any breaks on mine. They claim that the wire is the culprit 8 times out of 10.

Members online

No members online now.
Back