Aftermarket HID adapters

98lincmk7lsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
As you guys know, Doug (DLF) passed away recently. I've been in talks with his wife to purchase his lathe, his specs/drawings, and any remaining raw materials. I hope to have everything in my possession sometime in September.

Anyway, Doug shared his HID adapter specs with me quite awhile ago. I had some lathe time recently and made some adapters from a plastic called Acetal (essentially, the white version of Delrin). For those that don't know, these allow you to use aftermarket 9006 HID bulbs in the 96-98 HID housings.

Donna (Doug's wife) recently sold out of his remaining stock, so in his absence, I'll be offering them for sale for the foreseeable future.

I'll be offering them for $50 shipped image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had someone ask what the broken plastic piece is that it's attached to...

That's just a piece of a broken headlight that I found at the junkyard. The car had been in a wreck and the headlight broke, so I salvaged that piece to test fit my adapters.

I've got another picture I can upload that shows it from the other side, so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Thats awesome I am glad someone stepped up to help keep these parts flowing. Will you be including those awesome screws too. :)

Once I get his lathe and stuff, I plan on offering everything that Doug previously offered for these cars. :)

Those are actually the OEM nuts that come on most 97-98 OEM HID housings. I've seen some that use screws, but the majority of them have very small studs that these nuts screw onto to hold the bulb tight.

If needed, I do have some extras! lol.

Jay, I can speak for many here. We are thankful for your willingness to step up to the plate and offer an invaluable service to Mark8 owners and picking up where Doug left off in the HID department. It is inevitable that we will all eventually need these adapters. I appreciate your service to the community.

Jay, I can speak for many here. We are thankful for your willingness to step up to the plate and offer an invaluable service to Mark8 owners and picking up where Doug left off in the HID department. It is inevitable that we will all eventually need these adapters. I appreciate your service to the community.

Thanks man, I'm glad to be able to offer them! I used a set that I made for my 97 for over 3 years with no problems. They're pretty much a must-have...

A little off-topic maybe, but I thought I'd share with you guys a couple I made with my friend's new 3D printer. It's still in the set-up stages and needs quite a bit of tweaking, but it's pretty promising...

IMG_2120.jpg
IMG_2121.jpg
IMG_2122.jpg
IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

Nice, I really want to play with one of those printers been drooling over them for years.

My friend bought his for about $800.

I think it's a really new company, and still needs some stuff ironed out and polished, but it's very promising. Most of the parts for the printer are actually 3D printed themselves!

It took a little bit of trimming, but here's one installed...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My friend bought his for about $800.

I think it's a really new company, and still needs some stuff ironed out and polished, but it's very promising. Most of the parts for the printer are actually 3D printed themselves!

It took a little bit of trimming, but here's one installed...

View attachment 828460652View attachment 828460653View attachment 828460654

Did you add the notches in the adapters for the bulbs? The set I bought from Doug about two years ago didn't have them..the back is just flat.

When I was helping a friend with some prototyping, I discovered that there are companies similar to Kinko's where you can send CAD files and they'll 3D print your stuff and send it to you. Very, very cool tech. I think someone just successfully printed a gun that fired. That should change ownership laws a bit.

the gun was fired months ago and its sparked much debate about laws but the blue prints are already in the open so f the laws. I do believe he added the notches if you look at the photos you will see they are not there till later on. Doug never notched his rings.

I think the 3d printed ones are a better design. I like the notches for the bulbs

Truthfully, it really doesn't matter if it has the notches or not. The bulb is held still with the o-ring around the base of it, so it's not going to go anywhere, and the adapter holds the bulb tight to the housing. I just wanted to try it and see if I could draw it up and have it work. lol.

Did you add the notches in the adapters for the bulbs? The set I bought from Doug about two years ago didn't have them..the back is just flat.

Yep, I had one made with the same design as Doug's and then I modified it for the 2nd one and added the notches.

The plastic ones I made on the lathe are the flat-faced design.

I like the notches you should incorporate those into the design.

If I had a milling machine, I would. I don't even have a lathe yet (Should have it in September), so I'm limited to what I've already made for the time being. I don't get very many chances to use my friend's lathe since he lives in Ohio and I live in SC...

At this point, the 3D printer is the only way for me to make them with the notches. My friend with the 3D printer IS interested in printing them to sell, but the time it takes to print is a little prohibitive compared to how long it would take using conventional methods, and we'd probably have to raise the price a little bit. The 2 I've had printed so far took an hour and a half to complete...

Members online

Back