Advise on front suspension rebuild

jmeecer

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Was told today when I had my LS in the shop for an oil change that I needed to replace my lower ball joints. My question is should I get replacement ball joints and press them in? Or should I replace the steering knuckle? I am planning on replacing the upper control arms this winter anyway bad bushings. Still thinking about doing the lower just do not know yet. If I decide to replace the lower control arms, should I just upgrade the lower ball joints to the 16mm ball joint and get new steering knuckles. Plan on keeping the car for a while. I was planning on replacing all four tie rods end (already purchased), sway bar end links (already purchased) and aftermarket sway bar bushing (not yet purchased) since I would have the front end tore about anyway. Any thoughts. Also need to replace front and rear brake pads and rotors. Having trouble finding a correct sway bar bushings for a non sport car. So, I guess the Rein part will not fit my car.

I'm going through the exact same dilemma, I have one lower ball joint going bad (passed inspection but mechanic said it won't next year). Rock Auto has entire steering knuckles relatively cheap (<80 per side I think) but the Moog branded ball joint is 1/4 that or so. I have heard pressing the ball joint out is relatively straight forward but because of the curve of the knuckle it is difficult to press the new one in.

I think in the spring I will attempt this repair as I have an abundance of vehicles in the summer but this is my only car I drive in the winter. I'm going to try the moog ball joints and hopefully I can get them pressed in myself, if not the cost might approach that of the whole knuckle. While in there, I might go ahead and replace inner and outer tie rod ends, upper control arms and sway bar links but a lot depends on how everything looks in there.

I assume you are in St Albans, VT and not in the UK, right? I've visisted St Albans in the UK a few times and not sure I've ever seen a lincoln there ;-)

Thanks for the reply, Nope St. Albans, West Virginia.

I hope more people will give their opinions was well. Need to buy the parts soon, like this week. So any help, advise, or past experiences with these same problems would be appreciated. Just purchased the two upper control arms today from rock auto. Still need to buy all of the nuts and bolts for the job that will likely be another $200 or so. Will likely have to but these dust boots that go over the inter tie rods ends and those pesky clamps.

My main question is should I go with 14 or 16mm ball joints since I have to buy new lower control arms and steering knuckles or ball joints. It there any difference in going with the 16mm ball joints over the 14mm?

With the curved knuckle I could not get the old ball joint out, it would not fit in my press. I ended up buying the whole knuckle.

I'm curious to know what size press would be necessary to fit the knuckle under it properly.

I just overhauled my front suspension a few weeks ago. The only things I didn't replace we're the lower control arms and the inner tie rods. I thought about not doing the knuckles and just getting ball joints. But there was a post on here, can't find it right away, that turned me off of just getting the balls joints.

The guy had taken his knuckles to a shop and the shop actually. Cracked the knuckle trying to press in the ball joints. He had to buy a new knuckle.

I got all my parts from rock auto, except for the outer tie rods, rotors and pads. Got the tie rods from advance auto after pulling everything apart and realizing they needed replacing. From rock auto it was $433.xx shipped. I'll probably catch hell from posting the following picture because of the brand names, but whatever......

Where it says ball joint, those are the knuckles with the ball joints. I googled for a discount code. I think it was 5% IIRC.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Still have not received any comments concerning this question. Should I stay with 14mm ball joints or should I upgrade to the 16mm ball joints since I have to buy new lower control arms and steering knuckles. It there any difference in going with the 16mm ball joints over the 14mm? Car is early 2002, before the switch to 16mm.

Another question I do not think the lower control arm bushing are bad at the moment, but since I have to replace most of the front suspension parts anyway was going to change the LCA while I had the car torn apart. Just wondering how often the bushings go bad in the LCA? Would like to go with Motorcraft parts but the LCA are $300 to 400 each, what other brands have other people used in the past, Moog, Raybestes, AC Delco, etc?

Another question concerning the inner tie rod dust boot clamps, Fordparts.com shows two different large clamp sizes 85 mm and 66 mm? Is one for the drivers side and the other the passenger side?

Thanks

Sorry can't answer your ball joint question, but I would go with Moog for all the parts I could get. I'm planning on replacing all my suspension parts soon too. I would say replace it all if you are keeping the car, might as well being you'll have it all torn down anyway. just my 2

If you have the option of 14mm vs 16mm, I would go 16mm. Your whole car's weight is on those ball joints, then there's the forces imparted from acceleration and cornering. As far as I'm concerned the thicker the ball joint the better.

If you have the option of 14mm vs 16mm, I would go 16mm. Your whole car's weight is on those ball joints, then there's the forces imparted from acceleration and cornering. As far as I'm concerned the thicker the ball joint the better.

There's a reason Ford/Lincoln went to a thicker ball joint......

OK thanks guys.

Does anybody have any data concerning the inner tie rod dust boot clamps, Fordparts.com shows two different large clamp sizes 85 mm and 66 mm? Is one for the drivers side and the other the passenger side?

OK thanks guys.

Does anybody have any data concerning the inner tie rod dust boot clamps, Fordparts.com shows two different large clamp sizes 85 mm and 66 mm? Is one for the drivers side and the other the passenger side?

I'm guessing the bigger one goes on the rack-end and the smaller one goes on the tie-rod end.

That does not sound right, that would mean that the tie-rod end is 66mm in diameter? The clamp for tie-rod end is only 16mm. Wondering if two different rack-n-pinion systems were used, since two different big clamps are available 85 and 66mm.

Another question, probably basic, but still trying to find lower control arms. Are the LCA for 2003 to 2006 all interchangeable? I will upgrade to 16mm ball joints. For some reason LCA for 2006 models are slight cheaper than for 2003 to 2005 models? Just trying to figure out why, or am I missing something.

For the tie rod clamps, I just used a stainless steel hose clamp and it works fine. IIRC the clamps are different sizes on either end of the rack.

If you are going to replace the lower control arms, buy the 16mm arms and buy 16mm Moog ball joints to press into your steering knuckles. Stay away from Mevotec stuff. It is junk. The blue rubber boots crack fairly quickly. I replaced the knuckles on a friends LS and I had to shim one side of the brake caliper mounting bracket to get it to stop rubbing on the rotor. I would say Mevotec does not have a very strict quality control department.

I dont think the LCA's are any different from 03-06. Check Amazon for LCA's. I found a right side Moog arm for $56. Couldn't get that good of a deal on the left tho.

Members online

No members online now.
Back