Advancing Timing

Black87LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I know Sif did a tech article about advancing the ignition timing, but does anybody have a better description of the process? Also, I cant seem to find my timing marks near the crank...

Black87LSC said:
I know Sif did a tech article about advancing the ignition timing, but does anybody have a better description of the process? Also, I cant seem to find my timing marks near the crank...

Sure enough do Black

Most times you'll have to clean off and paint the balancer to see the timing marks or you can use Summit's or Ford Racing's timing tape.

I did this;

IMG_0150.jpg

Other than that you want to warm it up and pull out the SPOUT valve to slow the timing down to the point you can read it.

The factory 10 or 8 degrees just isn't getting you the free mileage and performance that a 5.0 litre can give. I've tuned four 302s in 4 completely different vehicles and they all loved 13.5 degrees using plain old 87 octane.

This really woke them up and improved both throttle response and mileage noticeably. Just remember to put the SPOUT valve back in afterwards.

Sixlitre

Heres what mine looks like... The part that is weird is the big notch on the pulley never went by the needle when the timing strobe kicked on... I had everything hooked up right with the clamp over the #1 plug wire, and i could only see the notch going by when i turned my flashlight on...

DSCN0205_640x478.jpg

DSCN0206_640x478.jpg

DSCN0207_640x478.jpg

Black87LSC said:
Heres what mine looks like... The part that is weird is the big notch on the pulley never went by the needle when the timing strobe kicked on... I had everything hooked up right with the clamp over the #1 plug wire, and i could only see the notch going by when i turned my flashlight on...

That's because your SPOUT valve was still connected.

This would ensure the timing would be so advanced the mark wouldn't even show up under the timing light.

Sixlitre

Meh

It's not worth it on our cars. I had mine bumped up so I could only use premium and it wasn't THAT great...(i had to use premium thanks to knock)

Just for you Black

I dragged my @$$ outside and snapped you a photo of the much fabled SPOUT valve;

IMG_0043.jpg

Think you can find it ?

Sixlitre

Redwingvksm said:
Meh

It's not worth it on our cars. I had mine bumped up so I could only use premium and it wasn't THAT great...(i had to use premium thanks to knock)

Red

are you a 4.6 ?

Because us 5.0 litres can run 13.5 degrees and stay on 87 with no knocking, but considerable mileage and performance gains.

Sixlitre

Sixlitre said:
Red

are you a 4.6 ?

Because us 5.0 litres can run 13.5 degrees and stay on 87 with no knocking, but considerable mileage and performance gains.

Sixlitre

i know wrong thread but would that work on a new 4.6? I have no idea what the stock timing or any of that is but do you know if the timing can be improved like a stock 5.0?

CobraConti said:
i know wrong thread but would that work on a new 4.6? I have no idea what the stock timing or any of that is but do you know if the timing can be improved like a stock 5.0?

Aren't you 4.6ers distributor-less ?

If so, I wouldn't know where to tell you to advance it, like a 5.0 litre

Sixlitre

Sixlitre said:
Red

are you a 4.6 ?

Sixlitre

Hm...No 87' here with the 5.0 - and only 55,xxx miles on her. Hm...maybe I should go back out there and re-mess with her...:D

Sixlitre said:
Aren't you 4.6ers distributor-less ?

If so, I wouldn't know where to tell you to advance it, like a 5.0 litre

Sixlitre
The 4.6 is distributor less , two coil packs are used. I own a 91 town Car :cool:

Members online

Back