AdvanceTrac Warning Message & Light

DJBadame

New LVC Member
Reaction score
HELP.....2002 Lincoln LS

My AdvanceTrac warning light and message went on after going over a bump several weeks ago. The light on the dash stays on but I can clear the message in the message center. I took it to the dealer and was advised that the diganostic says the ABS MOdule is a problem ...Over $1,000 to replace. The car operates fine but I would like to sell it....can't with this warning light on. This happened previously when the car was under warranty 1.5 years ago. At that time it would come on periodically then would go off when I shut the vehicle off and restarted. I took it to the dealer at that time and they could find nothing.......now its on all the time. I really don't think or wantg to believe that its a $1,000 fix. The car rides, steers and brakes fine.....

Does anybody have any suggestions for a "fix" to get the warning light/message to go off and stay off? something I can do or fix? Could it be a loose wire or something simple or is there a way to reset this thing?
Thanks much.....Dennis in Buffalo, NY

could simply be loose harness since bump caused it. I think that module is in the center console? you can look at service manual to check

If you need a new one you could just get one from a scrap yard, betcha under $200. Check out www.car-part.com and search "Computer-other"

i just may have one for sale. when i got my 2002 center console, another one came with it, so i have an extra one now

is that the module in the center console? wasn't sure if it was that or airbag/belt module

If you have documentation of taking it in for the same problem, you may still be able to get it covered under warrenty as it was a problem they failed to sucessfully resolve when you brought it in for service while under warrenty. You'd have to fight for it, but it is possible.

Without knowing for sure what the issue is - you'll throw parts at it until you fix it.

The most common cause of the issue is the ABS wheel sensors. They are easy to swap yourself and cost about $50 a wheel - but without the actual diagnostic equipment - guessing is all you can do.

I swapped mine after getting the message randomly after a year. sometimes the ABS light, sometimes the TC light - as it got worse the brakes started to behave funny - like ABS only under light braking. This helped me decide that is was not anything to do with Traction Control but with the brakes - so I gambled and swapped the ABS sensors - and sure enough fixed the issue.

Members online

Back