AC Issues

Anytime anybody posts on here... in one long post... it makes me just want to give up.

I can handle misspelled words... but proper sentence structure and paragraphing goes a LONG way to helping understand the problem.

I understand frustration... but sometimes it helps to take a deep breath... and slow down... to communicate properly.

Blue GAUGE, (not "valve"), is low side pressure. Red GAUGE is high side pressure. BOTH have to be connected.

With gauges connected and engine running, (and A/C turned on), both gauge needles should be in the GREEN section of both gauge dials.

If either gauge needle, (or both), is in the yellow section of the dial... that is slightly overcharged, and some refrigerant will need to be removed/recovered. Just enough to get the needle back into the green.

If either gauge needle, (or both), is in the red section of the dial... that is overcharged and will definitely need some refrigerant removed.

From Google:

"A/C systems operate using two different sides – the high side and the low side. Before the refrigerant is converted into a liquid in the high side, it starts out as a gas in the low pressure side of the system."

That being said... some yayhoos like to turn the individual cans of refrigerant upside down... to get more liquid into the system..
faster. This can cause the high side of the system to freeze up,(ice).

At this point I would try to find a highly recommended A/C shop somewhere in your vicinity... and have them work on it. (Joe has suggeted that previously).

The pic is just for reference... to clarify to YOU... what the proper terminology is.

NWMDC.jpeg

blue side was cold and gauge was 100 psi give or take red gauge was HOT and read about 150 175 psi.

The system should be about 25 to 30 psi on the low side and 200 to 250 psi on the high side. If the ambient temperature is higher or lower than normal (70 to 80°F) the pressures will go up or down accordingly.

High side pressure is supposed to be approx 2 times the ambient temp... plus 50psi.

...That being said... some yayhoos like to turn the individual cans of refrigerant upside down... to get more liquid into the system..
faster. This can cause the high side of the system to freeze up,(ice)...

It can also "slug" the compressor, damaging or destroying it. Scroll compressors (which is what the LS uses) can handle some liquid, but piston ones can't take it at all (think thrown rod).
That said, you do often have to at least shake the can if you don't want to wait an hour to fill the system.

The pressures and statements given don't add up at all. I'm out of this one.

Joe,

I pulled the info above from the internet... cause I couldn't remember.

Please continue... and I will step out.

I have too much going on around the house anyway.

Joe,

I pulled the info above from the internet... cause I couldn't remember.

Please continue... and I will step out.

I have too much going on around the house anyway.
Sorry, I was not clear. Your pressures and statements are okay. It's the OP's statement above you that has me giving up.

I would like to thank all of you for all the advice and help you have offered. Please do not think it has gone unnoticed. Everyone here seems to know what they are talking about and pride them selves. I have wanted a LS since 2005 when I was first offered one. A 2002 LSE. Instead of it I opted for a 2000 Town Car for more money. Again you know who you are I want to thank you for all your help.

Sorry, I was not clear. Your pressures and statements are okay. It's the OP's statement above you that has me giving up.
If the above comment was ment for me, well am very sorry. I must be honest here YES I did ask for help . What didnt expect was all the BS about grammer and spelling and what not. I do thank you for the help but for a person who can not read or spell only doing my best with my learning curve only wanted to ask about a few things wrong with my car. I could not bite my tounge much longer. So if by chance any one else reading this if you have help to provide I do still have issues with my car .I do still need help. I how ever dont need to be reminded of my spelling, grammer, termanology, or anythintg else you may think your better at them myself. thank you all again for the help I really do want to get this help and fix my car .it seams to be the only one niot to judge

If the above comment was ment for me, ...
I can get past grammar and spelling, but there is no way that I can help when impossible statements and pressures are given. I don't have anything against you (I don't even know you), I just can't help when no valid information is presented. Sorry...

I'm not sure I'm the one to help you but I'll chime in. Several years ago I had some AC issues with 2 vehicles. While I thought I needed two new compressors in the end both cases I was wrong. Fixing your own AC can be very frustrating and unrewarding. I found a used dual r12 & 134a recovery/ vacuum and charging machine. It was missing all of the hoses as well as the vacuum pump and one of the recovery tanks. I didn't know about the vacuum pump when I bought it. Eventually I got the things I needed which was more expensive than I bargained for especially considering I didn't actually need two new AC compressors. I did my research and went about fixing my Conti and wifes Pacifica. I did get both working but not as cold as they are supposed to be. As far as I could tell the Conti had too much oil in the system even though I followed the instructions to the letter. The problem is unless you completely blow out and flush the system you don't know how much oil there is. Too much is better than too little but after a point it starts to affect efficiency. Now that you have probably overcharged your AC and with each can of refrigerant added more oil you also don't know how much you have in there. You can also damage your compressor if there is too much refrigerant and oil (hydrolock as I found out).

If you still want to attempt to fix it yourself I would recover some the refrigerant and then add some dye and check for leaks. The fittings on the high and low ports should be changed since they are prone to leaking. When you connect the hoses to the fittings do you get a lot of oil when it vents briefly? If so you probably have too much. I had this.
Here is a link for AC pressure readings that I had bookmarked from then.

According to the repair database I have access to the system holds 28 ozs of 134a and 7 ozs of pag oil. There wasn't any diagnostic reading charts for the LS but I did find these for the Conti I had. I'm not sure if they apply or not. They may be helpful to you.

ac 1.gif

ac 2.gif

ac 3.gif

ac 4.gif

ac 5.gif

...According to the repair database I have access to the system holds 28 ozs of 134a and 7 ozs of pag oil. ...
There's really no way to say how much refrigerant his AC system needs, because he has put a V6 compressor in a V8 system. The two compressors and systems have different capacities.
Also, I wouldn't recover refrigerant from a contaminated system. His first compressor seized, and he didn't replace the condenser or the dryer, and didn't flush the rest of it.
I understand he has a budget here, but he is now just wasting what he is spending on it because some things absolutely must be done if it is going to work.

There's really no way to say how much refrigerant his AC system needs, because he has put a V6 compressor in a V8 system. The two compressors and systems have different capacities.
Also, I wouldn't recover refrigerant from a contaminated system. His first compressor seized, and he didn't replace the condenser or the dryer, and didn't flush the rest of it.
I understand he has a budget here, but he is now just wasting what he is spending on it because some things absolutely must be done if it is going to work.
Agreed. Some things have to be done right or you will fail or get poor results. I know from experience. I have had my fill of working on AC systems for a lifetime. I even passed on the first LS I looked at because the AC didn't work. By recover I meant to reclaim instead of vent which is illegal. Certainly I wouldn't reuse it back in the system. I wasn't sure which motor he had so I looked at the V6 too and the capacities were the same. Whether that means the compressors hold the same amount I don't know. If his first compressor seized then he probably has debris in the whole system and needs to replace and or flush everything. Better off getting a new car which would be cheaper than the 2000 dollars a shop would charge.

Thank you jerryg
Yes I do get a fair amount of oil when I go to hook up the line. Then gas. Yes I do have on the V6 compressor on my V8. I have installed a new drier. Also I have sense vacuumed out the system..I will be working on the car later this afternoon noon

Go to post #12 in the link below.

Thank you very much, Took the time to read this and much much info to be found, I know its been some time since i gave a update seems i had more issues come up with this car. A little more pressing then A/C issues. I tell you if it was not for all the love I have for this car........ O.k. o.k. bring it back. I found 3 more in the scrap yard , very heartbreaking this one very easliy could have been next to them. thank you again for the info its very helpful and most needed. I am still working on this so..... Get new parts together as money allows me too. Almost there so far costing me about 600 in lines alone. iI;m waiting until I have everything before I start working on it Yes I am going to do it myself. I have swapped interiors from one car to the other before I do know what I am up against. Only need is my 40lbs shop cat to help me out.

Thank you very much, Took the time to read this and much much info to be found, I know its been some time since i gave a update seems i had more issues come up with this car. A little more pressing then A/C issues. I tell you if it was not for all the love I have for this car........ O.k. o.k. bring it back. I found 3 more in the scrap yard , very heartbreaking this one very easliy could have been next to them. thank you again for the info its very helpful and most needed. I am still working on this so..... Get new parts together as money allows me too. Almost there so far costing me about 600 in lines alone. iI;m waiting until I have everything before I start working on it Yes I am going to do it myself. I have swapped interiors from one car to the other before I do know what I am up against. Only need is my 40lbs shop cat to help me out.
Why are you buying new AC lines, just have the old ones flushed out. AC systems are not that complicated.

Why are you buying new AC lines, just have the old ones flushed out. AC systems are not that complicated.
Some lines look like they may have pin holes or leaked at some point. Rather be safe then sorry at this point. Don;t know if you have read the whole post ,but I have had to many issues. Trust me I dont want to replace all this , it has and will be a lot of money but,,

Some lines look like they may have pin holes or leaked at some point. Rather be safe then sorry at this point. Don;t know if you have read the whole post ,but I have had to many issues. Trust me I dont want to replace all this , it has and will be a lot of money but,,
if the AC lines have pin holes they would not hold pressure to begin with. I am not sure how you can pull a vacuum on AC lines with pin holes. If you were able to pull a vacuum and it held vacuum for awhile (10 minutes or more after the vacuum pump was shut off) then the lines probably do not have pin holes. Maybe just replace the o-ring at the line junctions, a hell of a lot cheaper than new lines.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back