"AC Filter Change Required"

glanga

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I assume that means air conditioning filter? Dealership wants $90 to change it.
I have a funny feeling that its a $10 part with $80 in labor but what reason would a dealer have to rip me off like THAT?!?!

Is this a hard part to change? Anyone know how? Or the part number for the filter?

Can't find any info on this anywhere.

oh sorry i put in ac filter not a/c filter and the search automatically takes out ac and just leaves filter so i got hundreds of responses back.

the a/c filter is the same as the cabin air filter? and for 03+ its still under that passenger side cowl?

also it says in the old threads that its a timer not an actual sensor....so can i just reset this timer somehow if the filter is fine. i never use the a/c anway.

Yeah it's not difficult to get to, so if it looks reasonably clean just reset the notice. And I think it's for any cabin air intake not just with A/C on, but I may be wrong.

oh sorry i put in ac filter not a/c filter and the search automatically takes out ac and just leaves filter so i got hundreds of responses back.

the a/c filter is the same as the cabin air filter? and for 03+ its still under that passenger side cowl?

also it says in the old threads that its a timer not an actual sensor....so can i just reset this timer somehow if the filter is fine. i never use the a/c anway.

Yes, A/C filter = Cabin Filter, and yes its still under the passenger side cowl.

The notification you get on the message sensor is based on time since the last reset -- it has no idea of the actual filter condition. I would change the filter and then reset the timer (from the message center I think). The filter can be bought for about $20 and you can change it yourself very quickly.

p.s. you suck at searching. :D

Yup, very easy to change, i just did mine the other week. All you need it $20 for the filter and 10 min. The dealer always wants to rip you off. Then reset the message.

Make sure to get the carbon activated ones since you live in Jersey..:p They help keep the air fresh:D .

ok this might sound dumb but can i just reset the message center. i hold reset right....without changing it. i NEVER use air conditioning.

and if i change it im going to get N.B.C. filters. (for frogman)

yes you can, it wont know if you changed it or not.
Just when you hit status and the AC Filter come up press and hold reset. and it will change to 100%

will the a/c filter have any signs it needs to be changed? mine recently needed a change, so i just pulled it out and looked at it and it looked brand new.

TO clarify:
If you have your Climate Control on at ALL. For heat, or even just on the vent position...air IS entering the cabin filter, then into the cabin.

SO..just because you never use the AC, does NOT mean the filter isn't getting clogged.

alright well its summer too so im not worried about heat i never use that either. just the heated and air conditioned seats and windows down. ill check it just to make sure since the previous owner could have used it a lot.

i reset it for the time being to stop getting the message at start up.

speaking of filters....anyone have any good ideas to get smoke smell out of the car since the previous owner smoked too. had the entier interior carpets shampooed and i used foam cleaner on the headliner. any idea where this smell lingers at?

That filter is actually a pollen filter. So if you have allergies and pollen is stuck in it, it's gonna wind up bothering you, which is why they have a timer on them for you to change them. You could always just pull it out, smack it around to get most of the crap out of it (like a regular engine air filter), slap it back in and reset the counter if you don't want to buy a new one.

no i dont mind buying a new one.

il probably get one of those newer nuclear, biological, chemical filters

speaking of filters....anyone have any good ideas to get smoke smell out of the car since the previous owner smoked too. had the entier interior carpets shampooed and i used foam cleaner on the headliner. any idea where this smell lingers at?

Use the carbon filter like I said, plus it don't mater if you run any of that stuff. Eventually it will start to fog up the interior if it gets to bad.

what will a carbon activated filter do? i thought it was a joke. where do i get those and how much.

how much horsepower gain can i expect with a performance a/c filter?

funny i read somwhere that every breath we take kills us a little. i was hoping to acheive homeostasis but i guess with a clogged a/c filter that shot down my chances.

and the smoke smell ill figure out eventually, i was just looking for advice or tips.................oh well

anyone have any good ideas to get smoke smell out of the car since the previous owner smoked too. had the entier interior carpets shampooed and i used foam cleaner on the headliner. any idea where this smell lingers at?
The smell gets into everything. Clean all hard surfaces with a good quality cleaner, nothing too harsh. Don't forget the simple things: windows, dash, door panels. Clean them even if they don't look dirty. Use Febreeze on all soft surfaces (headliner, carpets, etc.). Get 'em good and saturated but not soaked. Let the car sit in the sun with the windows open all day to help dry it out. Febreeze is amazing and will get rid of almost any smell, as long as the smelly area is wetted thoroughly; not just a mist on the surface, it has to get into all the fibres which are holding onto the smelly uglies.

yeah ill try that. i used some blue coral foam scrub stuff on all the interior floors and headliners wiped the leather down and the interior. whenever the sun just sits and bakes the car it smels that much worse. i try to air it out as much as i can driving or sitting without getting my radar detector stolen :(

The stuff you have works good, you just have to use a towel and massage into the carpet with your knuckle's.

I was serious about the carbon but joking about Jersey-kinda-. It works, carbon gets rid of odor like a filter in a fish tank. The carbon does lots but one of the things it does is keeps the water from smelling stale. Same as the air.

hey elliot what about the carbon filter.....what isthat

and the damn emblems...you want them or not

Bosch makes a charcoal & particulate cabin filter for about $36.00 (C3789) for the 03+. You will have to check around for a vendor and for 2000-02.

alright well its summer too so im not worried about heat i never use that either. just the heated and air conditioned seats and windows down. ill check it just to make sure since the previous owner could have used it a lot.

i reset it for the time being to stop getting the message at start up.

Keep in mind that even if you do not use the AC or heat, air from outside still flows through the vents as you drive. You may THINK the filter is not dirty, but it is.

Members online

Back