AC Charging Issue: Thoughts

marcredd

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Went to have my ac charged since the engine shop that did my swap did not recharge it. The ac worked fine and never needed charged since I bought the car. At the time I got the car back in December, I simply blew it off to them not recharging it.

Fast forward to last week. I go to have it charged locally and learned that I am not pulling any vaccum whatsoever. The leak can be heard toward the upper portion of the firewall on the passenger side(inside the engine compartment). Does it sound like an O ring has gone bad or simply did not get replaced? To never have a problem in 6 years and to have one now makes me want to lean toward an error on their end.

Bad thing is I have to drive 2 hours to the shop, and back, who did my work in order to give them first shot at fixing it at no cost(other than my gas....which is a cost to me).

Yeah, I suspect that it will be one of the following.

1. O-ring fell off and they didn't notice.
2. They forgot an o-ring.
3. They didn't lube an o-ring and it was torn apart.

I'd want them to replace all the o-rings at all the connections they disturbed, just be be sure. I'd also replace the receiver dryer because the system has been open so long.

I don't know. There's no real reason why it should be.

Napa had one. Regular price was $55. I caught an employee discount and caught it for $32.

I appreciate the reply Joe. I almost bet the shop may have simply fixed the o ring issue and not have replaced the receiver dryer. And I would have never thought to do so.

Much appreciated.

Napa had one. Regular price was $55. I caught an employee discount and caught it for $32.

I appreciate the reply Joe. I almost bet the shop may have simply fixed the o ring issue and not have replaced the receiver dryer. And I would have never thought to do so.

Much appreciated.

Why would they replace the receiver? It would not cause a leak, and vacuuming the system down should restore it.

Why would they replace the receiver? It would not cause a leak, and vacuuming the system down should restore it.

Because it has been exposed to the moisture in the air for a few months now. It is likely to be saturated.

I know of a few people who have reused theirs after the system being open for a long period of time but for $32, I am cool with the expense.

Another question Joe. Did they "have" to disturb those lines to do the swap? Trying to get an idea of how to approach the fact I want this work done at no cost. Even if they do not charge the system(I can get done at a local place for $40). Thoughts on my desire to simply reset my system to relatively what it was beforehand?

I know of a few people who have reused theirs after the system being open for a long period of time but for $32, I am cool with the expense.

Another question Joe. Did they "have" to disturb those lines to do the swap? Trying to get an idea of how to approach the fact I want this work done at no cost. Even if they do not charge the system(I can get done at a local place for $40). Thoughts on my desire to simply reset my system to relatively what it was beforehand?

I would not have thought that they would need to remove the lines at the firewall if they dropped the engine out of the bottom of the car like they are supposed to.

Because it has been exposed to the moisture in the air for a few months now. It is likely to be saturated.
Pulling a vacuum will boil off any moisture remaining in the system.

I do tend to agree that with the low cost, it is not a bad idea to replace. I should have clarified that I was referencing the leak, and that even if the receiver was shot that it would not cause the issue you were addressing. :cool:

I feel the same way. Just seems really odd that it worked before for 6 years and the only thing that has changed is the engine swap. To me, they definitely disturbed something. I just called to get confirmation that it is going to be on their dime before wasting my time and gas. If they step up, fine. If they don't, I am going to raise cain because I never did raise too much hell about them breaking a 5 month old clockspring by not securing the driveshaft.

Pulling a vacuum will boil off any moisture remaining in the system...

It will not boil the moisture out of the desiccant in the dryer. The purpose of the desiccant is to lock the moisture up and keep it out of the system. Once all of it is saturated, it can't remove any more moisture. Yes, it might not have been saturated yet, but I think the expression is "penny wise and pound foolish."

It will not boil the moisture out of the desiccant in the dryer. The purpose of the desiccant is to lock the moisture up and keep it out of the system. Once all of it is saturated, it can't remove any more moisture. Yes, it might not have been saturated yet, but I think the expression is "penny wise and pound foolish."

The desiccant is very hygroscopic, that is to say it will tend to remove any moisture from the system, including from the refrigerant and the oil (typically POE). However the vast majority of automotive receivers I am aware of use adsorbent molecular sieve drying which is reusable, unlike absorbent types which cannot.

Again, I am not suggesting it unwise to replace the unit. It is, after all, a receiver/filter/dryer, and if it has been left exposed there are many uncertainties that I would not want to risk for less than the cost of a tank of gas! :eek: On a system that was untouched and trouble free though, I would not want to disturb any more connections than necessary...if it ain't broke, don't fix it so to speak.

I feel the same way. Just seems really odd that it worked before for 6 years and the only thing that has changed is the engine swap. To me, they definitely disturbed something. I just called to get confirmation that it is going to be on their dime before wasting my time and gas. If they step up, fine. If they don't, I am going to raise cain because I never did raise too much hell about them breaking a 5 month old clockspring by not securing the driveshaft.

The shop called this evening. They are willing to correct the leak issue at no cost but wanted to charge for charging the system. Now I am gonna drop that clockspring in their lap while I am there. LOL.

Members online

No members online now.
Back