about gas

Iancusp

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
okay i went to the gas station to get gas and the guy put reular in my car by accident
i was just wondering if i put octane boost in my car would that offset the problem??

It certainly wouldn't hurt, but I am not sure if it will help enough since you already have a full tank. May not mix as well. Some octane boosters require you pour in an empty tank. Maybe pour two!?

Most octane boosters say in tiny print, that you need to add something like 1 bottle for every 1 point boost in 10 gallons. In other words, you need a lot to make a measurable difference. So you could get your octane up to par with maybe 6+ bottles and drive around to stir it up. But it is not cost effective and not necessary unless you drive like a maniac all the time.

The LS V8 runs fine, especially in cold weather with 87 octane although under hard acceleration you probably will get light to moderate pinging. If your engine is older, ie carboned up, or out of tune, it may knock more. Some will scream that your engine will explode. I have my doubts, but read the manual and come to your own conclusions.

If you are an enthusiastic driver, I would soft pedal it for now and add some 91+ as soon as the tank drops to say 3/4.

I run 89 most of the time and never detect ping. WIth 87 I get ping under hard acceleration or hot weather. With 91+ you are following the factory recommendation and are presumed safe, if your engine is in decent shape.

Side note, engines that are run gently at low speeds, say 55mph or less, tend to "carbon up" over a few months and will ping and run a bit sluggishly. You need to periodically wind it up a bit. I had a 79 TA that hated to commute, back in the "55 stay alive days", and needed to be stomped on every once in awhile to clean it out. Normal freeway speed RPMs was around 1500, so it really liked a good romp up past 4,000 once in awhile.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Iancusp said:
okay i went to the gas station to get gas and the guy put reular in my car by accident
i was just wondering if i put octane boost in my car would that offset the problem??

I don't think you really have a "problem", and I would not add the octane boost either. Just run through the tank of gas and don't worry about it. I suggest that you refill shortly after the low fuel light comes on so you can be certain you got most of the offending gas.

No worries, the car will be fine. And next time, pump your own gas. Unless, of course, you live in New Jersey.

Yeah, I wouldnt worry about it. Just use it up and refill with premium.

ToddG said:
No worries, the car will be fine. And next time, pump your own gas. Unless, of course, you live in New Jersey.
LOL i live in new jersey and thanx for the help fellas i appreciate ur fast responses and help in all matters

2001LS8Sport said:
You're not allowed to pump your own gas in Jersey??

I lived in Jersey for 36 years, and No you can't pump your own gas. Any where, the reason is that the state feels if they go to selr-service they are taking jobs away from people. True, but I was just up there the beginning of November, and the only problem is you never get service with a smile. These pump jockeys as I use to call them. All have attitudes.

2001LS8Sport said:
You're not allowed to pump your own gas in Jersey??
You are not allowed to pump your own gas in NJ or Oregon, my former home state.

Living in Oregon for the past 14 years, I guess the reason they prevent you from pumping gas is that most residents are too stupid to handle such a complex task on their own ;^)

There were several elections held to allow pumping your own, but they failed and so Oregon still requires an attendant to pump it for you. I think the various reasons were "properly trained in fire safety attendants"; More entry level jobs; lots of retired people who wanted it pumped for them; "too much rain so who would want to pump their own?" etc.

I personally prefer to pump my own since 1) if I spill it, I make sure to clean it up so it doesn't eat my paint, 2) I like the opportunity to do a brief inspection of the vehicle, 3) I like to put in a really full tank(Yes I know, you shouldn't top it up) 4) I really hate waiting for an attendant who is running back and forth between multiple cars, sometimes I have waited 5 minutes or more just to start filling. 5) I believe I have the minimum daily requirement of adult intelligence and like to test myself with challenging tasks like filling the tank.

Now I live in California, where street people offer to fill it for me if I tip them.

Jim Henderson

Members online

Back