A reply from Sylvania re the 9500 bulb

Kerrigan

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Sylvania was nice enough to send the following reply:

Good Morning Mr. Gray. I'd first like to thank you for taking the time to contact us with your concerns and say that I'm very sorry that you're having such difficulty obtaining replacement components from Ford/Lincoln, and we know that you're not alone. Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to further assist and have been instructed to refer folks back to their respective Ford/Lincoln Mercury dealers for further resolution.

The HID-9500 light source, the HID light source used on the Mark VIII during model years '96 - '98, was the first generation of HID lighting and utilized DC technology; automotive HID light sources now produced utilize AC technology. We haven't produced part number HID-9500 for many years now, and we no longer have the equipment needed to produce this lamp. Prior to the obsolescence of this part all remaining inventory was provided to Ford/Lincoln parts and service. Our understanding is that the stockpiled inventory has since been depleted, and Ford now offers a halogen retrofit kit as a solution. You will need to contact your nearest Ford/Lincoln dealership to determine what options are available to you.

Thank you,

Same reply I got a couple years ago, with the addition of the retro-kit.

If you were unaware Kerrigan, the Mark VIII community has come up with a far cheaper, better alternative to the impossible to get 9500 bulbs. Not sure if that is what you are looking for, but if you search the forums, you will find the information on aftermarket retrofit kits. I am personally running a set, as many other members here are too.

Yeah, get a Generic 9005/9006 hid kit off ebay for 50 bucks and buy DLF's adapters for 55.

Sylvania was nice enough to send the following reply:

Good Morning Mr. Gray. I'd first like to thank you for taking the time to contact us with your concerns and say that I'm very sorry that you're having such difficulty obtaining replacement components from Ford/Lincoln, and we know that you're not alone. Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to further assist and have been instructed to refer folks back to their respective Ford/Lincoln Mercury dealers for further resolution.

The HID-9500 light source, the HID light source used on the Mark VIII during model years '96 - '98, was the first generation of HID lighting and utilized DC technology; automotive HID light sources now produced utilize AC technology. We haven't produced part number HID-9500 for many years now, and we no longer have the equipment needed to produce this lamp. Prior to the obsolescence of this part all remaining inventory was provided to Ford/Lincoln parts and service. Our understanding is that the stockpiled inventory has since been depleted, and Ford now offers a halogen retrofit kit as a solution. You will need to contact your nearest Ford/Lincoln dealership to determine what options are available to you.

Thank you,

Or buy my perfectly good 9500 sylvania bulbs that came with the 96 hid housings I bought which I will never use...I bought an aftermaket hid kit as well to go with the LSC housings which are on my car now. I have no use for the original bulbs since I never planned on wiring up oem balasts. The bulbs work as they should, only thing is one is missing the connector plug..I'm not looking to sell them for a crazy amount so if you need the bulbs make me a reasonable offer.

Members online

No members online now.
Back