A Lincoln conspiracy!?

Blackout

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I was bored and was looking over the exhaust diagrams for the Mark VIII and I was thinking well how come the Mustang's exhaust sounds so nice compared to our's? So I looked up a 4.6 Mustang and low and behold I found something. The Mark VIII's have 3 cat's while the Mustang's only have 2? What is the reasoning behind this? Its the same motor so why do we have more cat's? Then I went back a lil' bit and checked out my old Mark VII LSC with the Mustang's 5.0 V8 and they have 4 cat's while the Mustang's only have 2. So what's up with this? Ford trying to rip us Lincoln's owners off for some horsepower or something?

Blackout said:
So I was bored and was looking over the exhaust diagrams for the Mark VIII and I was thinking well how come the Mustang's exhaust sounds so nice compared to our's? So I looked up a 4.6 Mustang and low and behold I found something. The Mark VIII's have 3 cat's while the Mustang's only have 2? What is the reasoning behind this? Its the same motor so why do we have more cat's? Then I went back a lil' bit and checked out my old Mark VII LSC with the Mustang's 5.0 V8 and they have 4 cat's while the Mustang's only have 2. So what's up with this? Ford trying to rip us Lincoln's owners off for some horsepower or something?

Think about it....most ppl that purchase Lincolns.....in the mind of Ford/Lincoln are 'old' ppl. So, they did not want the car to sound like the 'Rustang. Not only do we have 3 cats, but we also have a silencer along with (2) 50# (each) mufflers. I know they are not that heavy, but they are damn close.....and they are HUGE x HUGE in comparison to the 'Rustangs mufflers stock. :Beer

yes, they wanted it quieter and slower. The quieter part was explanied above and the slower part is because they don't want a stock Lincoln handing their "performance" car its ass.

CobraConti said:
yes, they wanted it quieter and slower. The quieter part was explanied above and the slower part is because they don't want a stock Lincoln handing their "performance" car its ass.

I don't think they were too worried about the Mark handing the Cobra it's "ass". So the sound level exlpination, is what you need to look at.

Mike

The 3rd converter may actually a resonator. Though slower a mark VIII is alot more refined than a mustang and probably alot less likely (noticable) when at speed.

Blackout said:
What is the reasoning behind this? Its the same motor so why do we have more cat's?

the Mustang does NOT have the same motor, BTW. They use a SOHC while we employ the DOHC.

2-cats equal emission control, and tone/resonance design.
3-cats eqalu emission control and tone/resonance design, as well as additional noise supression.

Also, the tone of a Mustang is unique by pipe shape, size, bends, and muffler design. My 94 sounds pretty much identical to a stock Cobra right now. I removed the resonator(another noise supression device), but left the 3 cats in place. I removed the mufflers, and welded in Dynomax race bullets.

Some warned me they were too loud...not even close. They sound perfect. zero resonance/drone, and they "advertise" nicely at full song...but at idle, they are silent.

(crappy video, but you can hear them at 1/2 throttle during the drive by)
crank the volume at the end, and you can hear them growl as i turn the corner and drive away.
http://www.markviii.org/~blackicelsc/MOV00001.MPG

what a guy even when your hallin-ass down the street , you use your blinker.

I've heard the firsts 2 cats called Pre-cats?? what that means I don't know.

as for the sound the placement of the mufflers at the end of the exhaust makes it much less sound.

i saw a 94 mustang it had 4 cats on the h-pipe, the high performance h pipe only had 2,. and the offroad h pipe had none

the sound has alot more to do with exhaust design and muffler placement.. the GT's have dual exhaust with an h pipe stock.. which gives it a little more rumble, and the mufflers actually muffle less, and they are mounted midship, where the sound has a chance to reverberate more along the path of the exhaust, developing a different unique tone, where as the mark mufflers are right at the end of the exhaust and eat up all the sound through giant mufflers that dont get any time to produce more sound before exiting into the atmosphere..

Members online

No members online now.
Back