A full tune-up the right way!

JaysLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2004 Lincoln LS Ultimate which has always been my dream car. I didn't want the first generation due to some issues, however, still seem to have them anyway. :)

I want to change out the spark plugs, spark plug boots, ignition coils and the valve cover gaskets. Thanks to all of you, I have learned that the valve cover gaskets are a problem. Thanks. Do I need to change out the COP Wells, COP Covers or anything else? I also read somewhere something about COP seals and O-rings. What are those? I'm having a qualified mechanic do this for me, and once he's in there, I want to replace everything that needs to changed so I don't have to do this again for a long time.

Thanks to this site, I have learned a lot about my car. Thanks

Motorcraft parts

Does anyone know if the FORD Motorcraft parts purchased from RockAuto are the same as what the dealerships sell? I just don't want to buy knockoffs. Thanks

I would recommend changing the COPs and plugs.
New COPs come with new boots.
The valve cover gaskets on the 04 to 06 are not known to have any particular problems. If they aren't leaking, I wouldn't mess with them.
The COP wells are a part of the valve covers. Why would you want to change the valve covers? I haven't heard of any failures.
I also haven't heard of any COP cover failures. Some on this forum run with them off anyway.
I've never heard of a COP seal. There are o-rings at the bottoms of the COP wells, but they are considered to be a part of the valve cover gasket set.
If the valve covers aren't leaking, changing wouldn't help, and it might hurt.

If I drove mine like a rental, I'd be lookin for a new car in a month. My last rental went back with a check engine light on....... which I flashed and returned!

Prudent move. My 06 got a full tune-up from the get go as well (new plugs, oil, trans flush, rear diff, brake flush + SS lines, coolant flush).

Prudent move. My 06 got a full tune-up from the get go as well (new plugs, oil, trans flush, rear diff, brake flush + SS lines, coolant flush).

f*ck yea....only way to do things is the right way....EVEN WHEN YOUR WRONG!!!!!!!

CowboyLS, what is the SS lines you mention? Since this car is new (to me), I wanted to nip any could be problems now instead of having them happen to me in the snow. I flushing all of the fluids and even changing the water pump, thermostat/seal, thermostat housing and coolant temp sensor. Anything else anyone would recommend? Thanks

Thanks JOEGR for the information. I didn't know what the valve cover wells and the COP covers were. I just wanted to check to see if someone here thought I needed to have them changed. I won't even mess with them now.

So the ignition coils come with the spark plug boots? Good to know, like I said, I just bought the car and I'm no mechanic.

I also won't mess with the valve covers. So I will just plan on the plugs, COPs, PCV Valve and the valve cover gasket set. What about the Ignition Knock (Detonation) Sensor? Just wondering. Thanks

Thanks JOEGR for the information. I didn't know what the valve cover wells and the COP covers were. I just wanted to check to see if someone here thought I needed to have them changed. I won't even mess with them now.

So the ignition coils come with the spark plug boots? Good to know, like I said, I just bought the car and I'm no mechanic.

I also won't mess with the valve covers. So I will just plan on the plugs, COPs, PCV Valve and the valve cover gasket set. What about the Ignition Knock (Detonation) Sensor? Just wondering. Thanks

Your V8 does not have a PCV valve.
I will repeat that while it could happen, the 04-06 valve cover gaskets are much improved and not prone to failure.

I'm glad that the valve cover gaskets are much improved, but still, replacing the gaskets are still worth it, right? How am I better off not messing with them?

Jay, SS brake lines are stainless steel brake lines. They replace the old rubber hoses that lead to the calipers.

Members online

No members online now.
Back