A few questions about the 02 LS

nashmage

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone i used to be an active member of this forum a few years ago but i never ended up getting the ls that i was looking at (00 ls v8 black) i ended up going through a 2002 s4 and 2004 evo and now im looking for another car once again but i havent been able to find something i really love for the price i want to spend so ive been looking at the ls again because ive noticed they are pretty cheap now and it could be something really nice i could drive till i save a little more money and find out what i really want so roughly 6 months. Well after doing some research again ive been hearing that the LS' have a lot of problems mainly expensive problems so i came back here to get some information from the people i felt would know best :)

Heres what im currently looking at:

2002 Lincoln LSE

First question is whats the difference in the lse (special edition)
from what ive researched its just different bumper is their more?
Also how can i tell if this really is one?

Also the car has 130k miles which scares me a bit, do these cars have a history of becoming very expensive for maintenance at high mileage?

What are some things that i should be asking about the car and some things i should look for when i go to see it?

He is also asking $7500 which seems to be high considering the mileage is that about right? too high?

I dont mind the high mileage if im able to get a good deal and the car will last without major problems for 6 months to a year depending on how long it takes me to find something i really like and if i just happen to really like the car. Any info or feedback would be really appreciated

3k43o13l75Od5Ra5S398m55e5ddde72e2155e.jpg

3kf3p83l55Q45Pe5Rb98m2db8e2dea1351348.jpg

3n73k23o95Qd5Pa5Re98m72bf89e5404e1faa.jpg

3nf3k23oc5O45S75R798s3597f86fb5cc17d0.jpg

It's just an appearance kit. Those are not the gen 1 LSE wheels though. Those are gen 2 LSE wheels. The spoiler is not a genuine LSE spoiler either.

Is a car at 130K more expensive to maintain than a car with 13K? Probably. All depends on previous driver, and how well the vehicle has been maintained for the past 130K. But yes, parts are alot farther along in their useful lifespan at 130K.

Just from being back on this forum for a few minutes i noticed the rims were different thanks a lot for confirming is their anyway i can actually see if the car is an lse? different vin? badges?title?etc? thanks

Dunno if there was a VIN association with the LSE or not.

Ive noticed the early years have some problems too like the window regulater going bad is their anything else that i should ask if it has been replaired/replaced already?

valve cover gaskets.
ignition coils.
any transmission issues.
any overheating issues.
Any problems with the AC blowing warm air instead of cold.

Those are all I can think of right now.

Thanks a lot man really appreciate it ive never had a high mileage car so i dont know the protocol as much. I went from an 03 altima to 03 s4 to 04 evo all mileage under 50k so buying them i never worried much but i just want something more luxurious for the time being till i save a bit more and get something new seeing as how i only want to buy cash because i hate loans lol I drove my parents ls back when they had one about 3 or 4 years ago and it was great so i know ill like the car just afraid of any problems it may have. Thanks again though.

For anyone who has purchased one recently or knows what they go for what do you think about his asking price? i personally think the 7500 is pretty high for the mileage but i dont see that many in my area so its hard to tell.

I paid 8K for my 2000 2 years ago with 97K.

I wouldn't pay over 6K for 130K miles. But that's just me.

That is way too high of a price. Unless the thing is in showroom condition and runs top notch, I would play around the 5-6 area.

Thanks guys it has the alpine headunit with a 6 disc cd changer too but that doesnt matter to me mainly because i have an avic d3 that i have laying around the house i would probably put in it anyway. The ls is a bit hard to find in my area but i agree his asking price is way too high i think im going to keep looking a bit ill offer him 5ish when i get the chance to see it which hopefully will be soon.

im not greatly knowledged to the problems it would have atleast anymore than the answers that have been given but on the price issue id say thats high, im in kentucky but a few weeks ago i just got mine and its an 03 pearl white v8 with the same wheels that has with everything but navigation and 80,000 miles for 8250, got the dealer to come down from 12 so i was pretty pleased so whether I might have gotten a really good deal or not, id say for that mileage thats to high maybe 6 sounds reasonable.

As everyone mentioned above, the price is one the high side. I would just keep looking for other ones. Good look with the search.

COPs, VCGs, DCCV, window regulators and tranny solenoids are some of the things I can think off of the top of my head.

That said, I had an 01LSsport with 180k miles and it only had the COP issue. I did have no heat at idle but that was because my FEM wiring was damaged (so no horn, foglights and aux pump).

nash there is a silver 2002 lse for sale on long island, 94,000 mile and he has it up for 7500.00 And would probably take less for it if you offered cash. The car is on craigslist under new york city. Not sure where in mass you are but might be worth looking into, And for that money and those miles I have seen plenty of 03 and 04's around, which I think I would go with over a 2002 no matter if its an LSE or not.

Staff online

Members online

Back