A few problems

Z_Drifter_87

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Lincoln LS V8 with 120XXX miles. Im having a problem with my speedometer working. There are times that my speedometer will work and times that it wont, but it chooses not to work more than actually work... When it works, the car runs great, no problems and not lights are on. When it doesnt work, ABS, Traction, Park Brake light, and Check Engine light are all on. On the message center, Service Park Break, Check Transmission, Check Traction Control, and ETC Engine failsafe mode are on. Now here is the other thing i dont get, From what i read, ETC Engine Fail safe is a "Limp" mode in which the car wont go over 20 mph and have no power... well in my case, i can go 70-100 mph.. but i have no power.. the transmission will shift at 3500rpm even if i have the pedal all the way down...

So my question is, Is this an electrical problem or Transmission Fluid needing to be changed...
Am i the only one who has had this problem...
Any help would be greatly appreciated...

XXX oh and i poured a Seafoam Trans Tune in the tranny and it worked that night and the following morning but then stopped working and I just recently changed the battery a few days ago... Mind you, i've been having this problem with the car for 3 months now.

Oh.. forgot to mention that the mileage sometimes doesnt show when the speedometer doesnt work... it goes on and off...

Thanks

it's likely one of the rear ABS sensors - which is also used for the speedo, mine did the same thing. They are about $45 each and take 10mins to swap - one bolt and some cable snaps.

Add my vote for rear ABS sensor. Of course, it could be the wiring or the ABS module itself, but it's probably one of the rear ABS sensors.

The ABS module determines the car's speed via its wheel sensors. The ABS module transmits the speed info to the rest of the car.
All of the systems that you mention that are having trouble need to know the car's speed to work correctly. For example, without knowing how fast you are going, the transmission doesn't know when to shift.

Thanks alot guys... the ppl on lincolnforum.com told me it was my cluster... then someone said it was the abs module.... haha
thanks again though...

Thanks alot guys... the ppl on lincolnforum.com told me it was my cluster... then someone said it was the abs module.... haha
thanks again though...

It could be you ABS module, but it likely isn't. It couldn't be your cluster.

Well i cleaned the connectors today that go to the ABS sensors... and nothing... still the same... So im gonna order both sensors at oreily's and replace them... i'll keep you all updated....

Members online

No members online now.
Back