A/C ~ need help 95 conti

Briley

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 95 conti and my air quit working at the end of last summer .. it blows but not cold air. I took it in today to have the a/c recharged but was told that there is plenty of freon (or the stuff :) 134A whatnot) but that something else is causing it to not work. The mechanic guy told me to take it to an electrical shop.

Any ideas of what might be wrong?

Also ~ have been reading up on the suspension - since that seems to be a problem for me as well - some days my car rides soooo rough and bumpy.. but then other days it doesnt do this. In reading the other posts I see compressers, dryers and relays mentioned and I see these things mentioned in reference to the A/C .. are these things in any way related?

Forgive my silly questions ~ I am definitely not mechanically inclined but would like to get information so I can talk to a male friend of mine that is mechanically inclined (he also has a 95 conti but hasnt experienced the issues my car has yet).

Billie

For the A/C, I say take somewhere else to get it diagnosed for starters. If you're mechanic ran pressure tests he may have found more out for you. You should ask if he did. All it does is blow warm iar right? If so it could be a number of things. First I wuold check the A/C lines and look for frost anywhere on the lines with the A/C running. If there is frost there is a restriction in the line. Restrictions are a common cause of most A/C problems. Check the lines and let us know what you find. Also when the car is running check the compressor for the A/C it's should be noticeable in the engine bay. With the car running and the A/C on open the hood and listen for clicks, a series of clicks. If you here these clicks it is probably the compressor running. If you do not hear these clicks. You may have a bad compressor.

As for the Air ride. couple ?'s for ya. does the car fall to the ground at all overnight? if it does you probably have leaky bags somewhere which could be causing the car to ride rough.

to be honest with you, i had that same problem, like a month ago, and my mechanic told me the compressor was bad so I bought a new compressor (dont do that ....yet) take it to an electrician ask him to check the wiring that goes from your temperature control to your a/c/ compressor to see if theres power or if the ground wire is bad. See i bought a new compressor, and i didnt need one the ground wire going to my comp. was bad and the compressor wasnt recieving any power have them try this .

keep it cool

ok you have freon turn on your a/c and check if your compressor is turning on as others have said you can hear a click when the compressor engages if it doesn't engage look for you high presure switch which is located on the dryer you may need someone to point it out, unplug it and jump it with a wire if it turn the compressor on it's you hiogh presure switch which don't costs much under $20.00 fords and Lincolns tend to have this probleum I just replaced mine and does she get cold good luck:cool:

First of all look if you fuses are fine. I blew a fuse when I installing my parking sensors and the AC went with it. So check all fuses related to A/C.

This thread has been up for awhile now, briley did you find anything man? My curiousity is getting to me.:D

well goin along with this thread i guess, im having a bit of a problem with my eatc. I have a 95 conti, and today, I get in and hit max a/c and air starts blowin outta the front defrost vents. I hit panel and floor and then just floor to see if it changes and it doesnt. I then ran the eatc self-test (off + floor, then auto, then after defrost) and it reset the system and seemed to work until i hit defrost again and it got stuck there again. Do you think my unit has gone bad? I have another is it hard to replace?

Sounds more like a air door problem there are 2 or 3 doors i beleive that open and close to change the direction of the climate controls air flow. the doors are usually right behind the dash. they are on my 94 and on the schools 96 TC. Your car is a 95 so look in the glove box, behind the glove box you will probably see a white hose. see if that white hose is loose. If it is that means there is not enough correct pressure going to the air doors, causing the symptoms you are describing. check it out and get back to us. if it is not the doors than you may need a new unit.

ok so i checked the hose and it didnt seem loose (but then again i dont know what to compare it to.). Now, even after resetting with the selftest i cannot get the other outlets to work; only the defrost still works. what should i do???

netsurfer321 said:
ok so i checked the hose and it didnt seem loose (but then again i dont know what to compare it to.). Now, even after resetting with the selftest i cannot get the other outlets to work; only the defrost still works. what should i do???

hmmm, no loose hose huh? was it the white hose? were there any punctures in the hose? perhaps at the ends of it? the symptoms really sound exactly the same as the TC i had to fix at school. Do you have a recharge pressure gauge for the A/C system? if you do hook it up to the high and low ends of the system to check the pressure of the system. if you do not have this have a shop do it for you and see what they find. If the pressures in the system are off then they will refer to a trouble chart. the chart lists the symptoms associated with different opressure readings along with the a/c compressors on and off times. by looking at the chart they will be able to give you a diagnosis. bring it to a shop to be tested to be sure. it could turn out to be a sinple air door prob. or line restriction. and you won't have to pay as much to fix these problems. get back to me about what they say for the diagnosis.:) ;)

i think i might have found the problem. A tube that goes into the top of the engine manifold and comes back up to the firewall has a crack in it and is leaking. It is sucking, so i am pretty sure it is a vaccuum. I am hoping to seal this tonight and see what happens.

netsurfer321 said:
i think i might have found the problem. A tube that goes into the top of the engine manifold and comes back up to the firewall has a crack in it and is leaking. It is sucking, so i am pretty sure it is a vaccuum. I am hoping to seal this tonight and see what happens.

Well there ya go, if there is a vacuum issue it can cause issues in the air doors since the air doors are activated by vacuum pressure. Seal it up and let me know what goes on afterwards.:)

Members online

Back