98 conti probs..help!!!

dustin121

New LVC Member
Reaction score
About 4 months ago my 98 (129,800 mi) conti started running rough. Almost like it was misfiring on one cylinder. So I changed the fuel filter near pass. side door and changed the spark plugs. still ran crappy. Well since then Ive only driven it a little due to deployments to Hurricane Katrina. The other day I washed and waxed the car and degreased the engine compartment. Now its revving to 2000 rpm @ idle!!! Im at a loss and due to my upcoming wedding I can't just take it to the dealer without severly hurting our financials. Im wondering if any of you guys have had this experiance before and figured it out. Is there a sensor that will cause this problem? Ohh..and where exactly is the MAF? I thought it was on the plastic intake tube between the air filter box and throttle body but im not sure...Thanks a buch for any help!!!

Dustin

With that kind of miles, I would also give seafoam a try

Definitly it's the IG coils, only thing that sux now is that you gotta check em one by one. My way of checking it, but I dont reccomend it is to remove the ignition coil covers ( The Front is the one that says Intech 32V V8 & the back one is blank). Start the car up and pull out a coil one by one until you find your contestant ( the one that makes the weakest spark and also the one that least affects your engine will running). Just watch the sparks, they're not cool. It's way of of finding the miss. Since I don't change all 8 at the same time. You will see them wet at the tip if you pull them out if water did go in.

Ok...coils... I would think another way to check for misses would be to unplug the fuel injectors one at a time. Agree?

Dunno about the injector disconection, all the 97 and up conti's iv'e had, had over 100K, in some when I do the tune up, after I pull the coils ( wires in 97 model) the tip of them are some times wet with oil. This means valve cover need tightening or you'll need new valve cover gaskets. One 98 Continental I drove for a while had 150K plus and It had a bad miss. When I pulled the coils they were flooded with oil. When I dried the coils, spark plugs, and the tunnel a bit, and put it all back, all was well.

yeah oil leaking past valve covers is sorta a common problem on these cars.

I have that problem also..bummer...how much was it for your dealor to fix? I could do it myself, but would rather it done in shop.

shop can run you from $500- $1500... I jus replaced mine today plugs and coils for $360...and that was all the coils if say you only have 1 bad one it could be as low as say$40 for the coil and a new set of plugs. Its very easy to do this repair honestly.

If it's revving to 2k RPMs, you have a vacuum leak or something along thoes lines.

I really don't see a bad coil making it rev up to 2000 rpms. Listen and see if you hear any bad hissing comming from around the intake...

IAC (Intake Air Control) Soleniod may be dirty. You will need a new gasket because that is what holds the bolts in place during installation. If it is the IAC, you will have a check engine light on in cold weather. My check engine light went out after the weather was warmer, but would still rev the engine.

I have not done this yet, but lube the throttle cable parts. I notice my throttle is sticking open when I let off.

I noticed my butterfly valves were dirty on the outside edges. They need to be cleaned. Do the Continental's have the coated throttle bodies - not to be scrubbed - I do not know.

I have a 1997 and the MAS is in the air filter 'box'.

Regards,
Brad.

Has anybody here checked the date of this post recently?????

APRIL 25, 2006.

I really don't believe he will run the car for one full year with this problem. I think his ignition coils ought to be dry by now.

My last post here was on MAY 1sT 2006

Members online

No members online now.
Back