97 mkviii vs 98mkviii

njmantus

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions of which way I should go with my next mark Viii purchase. Previously I have a red/blk 98 lsc all orig. I ran into a lot of issues with little things like the blend door and throttle position sensor. Air ride. Ect. I am looking to in the near future purchase a new mark Viii. I have seen many times discussions. So I apologize ahead of time if I'm rehashing. But I want to really hear from owners of both.

Please let me know. I'm leaning with the 98 lsc but simply bc I like having the newest possible car. But from what I understand the mechanics with the 97 is different enough to create a slightly different ride.

Please help me choose.

There the same for all I know except the trans in the 98 is little better. 98 has one year only rear ABS sensors I think too. Others will add.

yeah as far as i know they are all the same, except the 98 ABS sensors are one year and the 98 (and supposedly late-97) trans has better internals. maybe a few other things. but nothing major.

97 has the plastic alt cover and the 98 doesn't.

I always thought they were the same too. I had a 97 a few years back and replaced it with a 98 LSC. Only changes I noticed was LSC stuff like heated seats, sunroof, trim, ect.

97s have chrome door latch strikers, 98s are black

Probably won't effect your buying decision

Drivers side airbag is nicer in a 98 and the Jbl logo on the front tweeter housings are different too. Some 97 did have them though.

If I had my choice i'd get a 98 and pick up some spare rear sensors, 97 chrome strikers and a intech cover. :)

If it were me I'd choose the best car you find either year.
It would be nice to have the upgraded trans of 98 but you can upgrade that later if need be.

Good show everyone. :) Glad people remember the small changes. Also the 97 had an alt cover that said "Intech" and the driver side valve cover said "DOHC 32 Valve". In 98 the Intech was put on the COP cover since it lost the ALT cover.

Oh yeah, not positive on this but every 98 I got had a battery cover but every 97 I had did not. So not sure if just lost or what.
Latter 97's did not get the updated trans as far as I remember, Late 97's did have the nicer drivers air bag though.

And the black interiors are different. Its a darker shinier black in 97 where as the 98 is a little more European.

yeah as far as i know they are all the same, except the 98 ABS sensors are one year and the 98 (and supposedly late-97) trans has better internals. maybe a few other things. but nothing major.

97 has the plastic alt cover and the 98 doesn't.

Drivers side airbag is nicer in a 98 and the Jbl logo on the front tweeter housings are different too. Some 97 did have them though.

If I had my choice i'd get a 98 and pick up some spare rear sensors, 97 chrome strikers and a intech cover. :)

Good show everyone. :) Glad people remember the small changes. Also the 97 had an alt cover that said "Intech" and the driver side valve cover said "DOHC 32 Valve". In 98 the Intech was put on the COP cover since it lost the ALT cover.

*taps mic* Is this thing on?

Not that it matters but I have 2 97 and a 98 and they all came with battery covers. You will notice more differences between if the car is well maintain vs it being a 97 or a 98. The only thing I really like in the 98s are that they have a lincoln logo on the driver's airbag. Some say the 98's transmission is better but that again depends more on the previous owners and the car's maintenance.

Yeah, most changes were cosmetic, other than the improved tranny internals and ABS sensors. I'd just buy the car that is in the best condition in the color you like and not sweat the little details.

But since we're talking minor details, here are a couple more:

Back side of front seats - pockets versus nets. (Can't remember which is which though. I think it changed partway through the model year. Mine is an earlier 98 and has nets)
And one few are aware of: A/C lines have 2 O-rings on 93-97, but 3 O-rings on the 98. They're all interchangeable however, and I'm not aware of the earlier ones having an issue.

Strangely enough, the 98 that I have has the chrome door striker, too. Fortunately my 97 was built late enough that it has the nice logo on the steering wheel as well. I can also say that the muffler shop asked me three times when I installed the LMS mufflers if these cars were the same. He ended up having to cut sheet metal on the 98 and had to install the mufflers sticking out about and inch further than the 97. :confused: Tranny is definitely better on the 98.

Members online

Back