96 mark

Moose

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi. I cant believe how informative this forum is! I just bought my first lincoln (96 mark viii ) Probaly the best car I have ever owned. Thus far at least. It does have a wonderful shudder in the transmission when I am pulling a hill in 3rd gear. about 1000 rpm to 1500 rpm. Most automatics in my experience take a lot less gas pedal get them to shift down. I guess its just the nature of the beast. I just bought 13 quarts of valvoline synthetic atf and a new filter. I hope to change the fluid first thing tomarrow. I take that I will have to just drain the TC and then pull the pan. Is there a non-messy way to drain the fluid on this thing? I hope this new atf will help. That shudder drives me up the wall. I read on here about using lucas in the tranny also. I will probaly get a bottle of that too. I will most likely be on this forum constantly looking for advice and technical help with my mark. Any help will be greatly apriciated. Thanks

Welcome.Im not here long but you should be changing out your fluid to Mercon V.And alot of folks on here recommend lubegaurd green as a nice additive.As far as not making a major mess.No real easy way out there.Good luck

Welcome. I miss my 96 even though my 94 is much faster.

Hey welcome to the LVC you got questions we've got ansers. And for that first question you got it likes to shudder about what 55-60 MPH right after it shifts, I belive it dose that because of the long driveshaft. I'm not sure though but I remeber hearing it before on here because my dose the same thing.

Once again welcome

welcome
befor you start your repair check the tech articles
perhaps your shift acculumantor needs replacing as well
parts not that expensive, but it might save having to pull the pan twice

After I pulled the pan off, I noticed a little yellow plunger like thing in the bottom of the pan. Where did this come from?

It was probably the cap that was on the bottom of the dip-stick tube during assembly. You should remove it from the pan if you didn't already.

Depends where the shutter is. I would take it to a shop and have a tranny flush done to enshure what might be causing the shutter gets cleaned out. Also the tranny flush will replace the fluids in your torque converter.

Tranny flush will cost about $80. Mercron V fluids will cost you around $50 for enough fluids to fill the tranny.

Members online

Back