96 lsc

k9t8m

Rollin' Twankies
Reaction score
I sure could use a parts car....

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch...e1s1&lotId=11720353&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

11720353_2X.JPG

I have a black gen 1 hood let me know if your interested.

My hood is in pretty good shape but the color doesn't match. The hood is off a '93 and it isn't the same color of red. The funny thing is, nobody seems to notice. The original hood was cracked on the lip from the previous owner slamming the hood. It took me about a minute to align the hood latch so you don't have to slam it. I never shut my hood by grabbing the edge, I always space my hands out on top of the hood.

Being a Mark VIII cheapskate, I would rather buy a hood in toreador red than paint my existing hood. I know the color won't quite match but it has to be much closer than what I have, and nobody even notices the mismatch now. The estimates I got for painting the hood were quite a bit higher than the cost of a used hood. Maybe someone who paints on the side could do it for less.

My hood is in pretty good shape but the color doesn't match. The hood is off a '93 and it isn't the same color of red. The funny thing is, nobody seems to notice. The original hood was cracked on the lip from the previous owner slamming the hood. It took me about a minute to align the hood latch so you don't have to slam it. I never shut my hood by grabbing the edge, I always space my hands out on top of the hood.

Being a Mark VIII cheapskate, I would rather buy a hood in toreador red than paint my existing hood. I know the color won't quite match but it has to be much closer than what I have, and nobody even notices the mismatch now. The estimates I got for painting the hood were quite a bit higher than the cost of a used hood. Maybe someone who paints on the side could do it for less.

A lot of shops won't paint a gen 1 hood, its bonded together.

In the sun look closely and you will see the round spots on most gen 1 cars.

A lot of shops won't paint a gen 1 hood, its bonded together.

In the sun look closely and you will see the round spots on most gen 1 cars.

I don't understand what that means, but then I guess I don't know anything about the painting process. I was imagining - sand it, primer it, paint it. What exactly does "bonded together" mean and why is it a problem for painting?

I don't understand what that means, but then I guess I don't know anything about the painting process. I was imagining - sand it, primer it, paint it. What exactly does "bonded together" mean and why is it a problem for painting?

They are laminated plastic... factory glued together.
When my 93 got hit in the front you could see how it was glued together.

The glue has been known to leak through causing issues.
A certain primer is supposed to fix the problem, but does not always work, so I was told by a local body shop.
Look hard you can see the circles in the hood.
FWIW they are big circles, 6 total if I remember right spaced evenly.
Gen 2 went to alum.

There's about a dozen places where the glue is
my 93 leaked thru real bad, heat seems to make it worse.
When I made my custom hood, just holding the heat gun close to the adhesive made it pop loose.

Would be pretty simple to make a hood mold and make fiberglass ones. I used to be a glasser.

Would be pretty simple to make a hood mold and make fiberglass ones. I used to be a glasser.

I've thought about it, just making the upper skin and let people use the stock hood frame, and just glue em together

On a damp cool night when your car starts getting foggy or dewy whatever you want to call it, look at your hood, there will be the outline of the underhood structure and you will see a bunch of round dots...those are the placces where the top and bottom of the hood are glued together, and over time, weather and sun cause those spots to come through the paint and clearcoat.

I've thought about it, just making the upper skin and let people use the stock hood frame, and just glue em together

I'd try to make the whole thing in glass. I once had a business fixing truck hoods and learned all kinds of ways to glue stuff together.

Just had a look and the hinges would be easy. The struts and front catch box should be not too bad either. Quite possible in my opinion.

Edit:
On reflection I would simply mold the top and mold the bottom then stick em' together and foam the interior. Would make a strong light piece that would insulate well for sound. Incorporating the hood pieces would be fairly easy that way too.

I had one of my 94's repainted and you could definitely see the rings mentioned above.

My hood before getting repainted had the spots on the hood, while they werent bad, they were still there. After paint they are almost completly invisible, if you look at the right angle in the right light you can kinda see it, but the body shop didn't sand the whole hood down past the clear, they only repaired the front edge and shot a small area of color and re clear coated the whole hood, but if you take it down into the color and sand those areas flat and add a skim coat of filler, those spots shouldn't come back.

Members online

No members online now.
Back