'96 getting harder and harder to shift out of Park

sprocket

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
It's getting harder and harder to shift out of Park particularly when parked on an incline. It's very hard to push the button in on the shift knob, but once it goes in and I shift out of park it feels fine. I can put it back into park and back out again with almost no problem. I say "almost" because it is still slightly sticky.

I'm afraid I'm going to get stuck somewhere because I can't shift out of Park. I did a little online research and I read about multiple possibilities. I'm asking here in case this problem has a common cause with gen 1s.

Thanks for any help!

Sounds like a bad Brake Light Switch, located on the brake pedal, cheap part and easy to swap

Sounds like a bad Brake Light Switch, located on the brake pedal, cheap part and easy to swap

Wouldn't it just no work at all then or require me to reapply the brakes sever times? With the brake pedal depressed I am having to wiggle the shifter to get the button to go in. I'm wondering if maybe it is not fully in Park.

how could it possibly be the BOO switch? either the BOO switch works, or it does not. its not just more difficult to get out of gear.

There's a small lever underneath the shifter on these cars that tends to get stuck when they have a lot of wear & tear. Do me a favor, Send me an email so I receive it on my phone so I remember to check my shed. I will take a picture of my spare shifter assy & point out what I'm talking about. You may need to replace it or oil it up a bit.

There's a small lever underneath the shifter on these cars that tends to get stuck when they have a lot of wear & tear. Do me a favor, Send me an email so I receive it on my phone so I remember to check my shed. I will take a picture of my spare shifter assy & point out what I'm talking about. You may need to replace it or oil it up a bit.

+1 Same thing happened to my Jeep. Cable under the shifter came loose....Easy fix, just look around.

Members online

Back