96 door on a 97??????

danielmillermark8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I just got my headlights converted and they work great!!! thanks to everyone in the "HID conversion kit help please" thread. So now I've got the door left sigh* (final major project). Now my question to you guys is it really that hard to get a 1st generation door (96) on a second generation car (97)??? My mechanic feels like he could do it but he's never done it before. I was also told the framework is the same??? Its all I got in my junkyard atm.

i've also heard the door itself is the same.
hopefully someone can confirm that for you.

You will need to mount the inside door handle in the correct spot.
Otherwise its just moving over electronics
I'm not sure the holes for the ddm are in the 96 but that's easy to do.

You will need to mount the inside door handle in the correct spot.
Otherwise its just moving over electronics

+1

I went the other way and installed 97 panels on to my 95 doors. You will have to move the handle to a more downward angle and the only plugs that will work are the trunk, gas door and I believe the speakers.

Gen I's have a ground wire for just about every circuit. Allot of the wires are the same colors in both years but will have to have the gen I pig tails spliced in and the window switches are wired a little different.

If you have a 97 car I would suggest staying with a 97 door panel. No one here will disagree that the Gen II's have a better interior anyway. Several member including me, have a stock pile of them.

Before:

CIMG0040.jpg

After:

DSC_9350.jpg

CIMG0040.jpg

DSC_9350.jpg

Fantastic information guys! looks like I maybe sporting an opal door for a bit. Anything is better then watching people swerve out of my way when they see my door damage thinking IM the crazy one who caused it lol. Its just like having sirens on.

Funny, cause I avoid driving next to people with heavy body damage

I should be able to mount the passenger side 97 rearview mirror on the 96 door ok? Or would I have to keep the 96 mirror? I would love to keep the led turn signal and fog lamp.

Mirrors are interchangeable

Puddle Lamp... Fog Lamps are in the front bumper

Members online

No members online now.
Back