96 Conti, Odd Suspension Goings On! O2 Questions

lostinbass

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Thanks for the warm welcome at the welcome forum..Have this 96 conti for a month now and just getting used to it, quirks and all. Two issues a need help with, please.

Check suspension light goes on most of the time. When not running, left overnight, front suspension goes down, but the rear stays up...turning the ignition key and compressor goes on and front end goes up..Is it supposed to do That? I havnt notice it going down when its driven, or parked for a few hours, but always overnight! The back end never goes down..Any ideas what this would be?
You know, Im already thinkin conversion...is the strutmaster conversions for a front wheel drive conti? Are all 96 Contis FWD? Can strutmaster install these? as I wont attemp it myself, especially cos of FWD, and Im leary about sending it to someone whos never done this. I live in Arkansas.

Ok, also engine lite goes on..had it scanned and got a code P1131, lack of upstream heated o2,S11,bank 1. Ok, so I bought the before sensor had it replaced, but came on again. Looking in Chilton it talks about clearing KAM, after installing emmission part..which says..remove neg bat cable for at least 5, minutes, then after connecting , car MUST be driven 10 miles at least, with part of the driving on open road, to re-learn conditions.. Do they mean 10 miles continuosly after connecting the cable?..without turning it off..This wasnt done when installed, just cleared using scanning tool...I then drove it a block and parked it.

In Chilton, electrical diagram shows 4 heated sensors for 96 conti. Is this True..does it, in fact, have four o2 sensors? Its not dual exhaust..just dual tail pipe. Is it possible the mechanic installed the wrong one? Is S11 the first one?

I don't know, I love this car, Just trying to learn to take care of it..its over whelming sometimes..Thanks everyone!
Ron Lee :tmi:

Last edited:
all the conti are FWD. It maybe a very small leak. I have the same problem but I payed the dealership 2600 for the compresser, and the front shocks.(or air bags)
they intalled defective parts I guess. I going back and they are going to fix it.

This is what you need to do, Turn the air suspension of from the trunk and see if the car goes down. If it does you might have a leak but If it doesn't, it is your air suspension module. This what the dealership tolded me to do but It didn't work on my car.

well here is the think that i lurned that confuses alot of ppl
on the continentals i know my 95 wich is the same system you have in your 96
yes shutting it off will
tell if you have a leak but if you have a leak in one bag and it gose down
then you know where the leak is but
if you leave the sytem on and the entire front end is down in the morning down automaticly think you have a leak in both bags the sway bar is pulling the good bag down to be at high with the bad bag ok

OK, Thanks for the reply, I will try that, shutting the switch off, and see if one side, or both go down, or if it stays up.....So,by the replys, I am assuming that the car should stay up, with the switch on, at all times...is that right?
I'll try the test and see what happens.THanks again

So,by the replys, I am assuming that the car should stay up, with the switch on, at all times...is that right?
I'll try the test and see what happens.THanks again

I mean, when working properly, the car should stay up, and not go down on its own, right?

Yeah, it'll settle a little bit once you get out of the car, but it shouldn't sag down to the ground, basically.

lostinbass said:
I mean, when working properly, the car should stay up, and not go down on its own, right?
yeah and see what happens

ok, so with the ride level switch off, it still went down in the morning, just the fronts, just like it did when the switch is on. So i guess i gotta convert, better sooner than later, i guess.

I think you can wait but if you got the $$$ go ahead. I did the air ride again and it cost me 2500$. If you wait make sure you let it level before you get out of your drive way. Tell me after you convert, how does it feel and all that.

mark0101 said:
I think you can wait but if you got the $$$ go ahead. I did the air ride again and it cost me 2500$. If you wait make sure you let it level before you get out of your drive way. Tell me after you convert, how does it feel and all that.
Yeah, instinctively, I let it level out before driving it, takes about a minute, air replacements like you did, would be like as much as i paid for the car, almost. I have no alternative except conversion. I love the ride as it is now, but we'll see, I'll let yas know what I think once its done. :L

070905 018.jpg

very nice car, I paid 5200 for the conti and it was fully loaded and I mean it has every thing. How many miles do you have on your conti. My air suspension broke at 125000.

HAd mine for about 2 months now, got it for 3400. It has some cosmetic problems like: headliner is coming off in the rear section, has about a 6 inch oxidation or sun burnt patch on the roof and a few quarter size ones through out. Has a few cigarrette burns on the door panel and carpets, the rear view mirror is stuck, but on the brightest view...and one of the rear windows dont go down. Oh, and the door keypad was removed(it was a repo)but got one from ebay.
I got it after a week of looking at crappy 86-89 hondas with 250,000 miles or explorers(96-97)with almost 200,000 miles, that ran like Sh*t, for similar price.
I was gonna get a 94 fleetwood but after driving that, decided not to.
It runs smooth, cant even hear it run,even while out of the car with hood up!Underneath it was dry, and it shifts so smooth. It was the best for the money that I've seen.
I didnt know about air suspension or anything about it.
It just looked cool, with mirror rims and all..its loaded I guess, has the moon roof, traction control.and couldnt believe the power!(I came out of a 4 cylinder contour!)
I think if i take car of it I'll get some years out of it.
not crazy about the gas mileage, of course, especially now- 2.79/gal for premium.
Its worth it though. I see you have one of each! very nice

had mine for a year now and payed about 3000 for here with 100,000 miles

I bought it with 73000 miles and now it has 126000 miles. I have my headliner coming of from the back too. I tried to spary it but it would come off after a day. Does any body know how i can get that fix or any shops that fixes headliners?

Here in Hot Springs an upholstery repair place said they could repair(replace) the headliner for about $180. That was just a guesstimate by phone, Im sure its gonna be more with moonroof(less material,more work).

lostinbass said:
Here in Hot Springs an upholstery repair place said they could repair(replace) the headliner for about $180. That was just a guesstimate by phone, Im sure its gonna be more with moonroof(less material,more work).
thank for the info.

conti headliner problem

mark0101 said:
I bought it with 73000 miles and now it has 126000 miles. I have my headliner coming of from the back too. I tried to spary it but it would come off after a day. Does any body know how i can get that fix or any shops that fixes headliners?

Hi, I have a 96 conti, bought for $2800 a year ago with 102k on it now have 134k. Headliner was torn, I removed the headliner panel, bought some new fabric from a discount store, used contact cement to attach the new fabric. worked really well and looks decent. Used double sided carpet tape to restick the headliner panel to the roof. If you don't mind doing a little work yourself you'll save some money and learn something new at the same time.

how would you remove the headliner panel and Would the moonroof be a problem?

my headliner is realy bad im going to go to a salvage yard see if i can get a good yoused one if the borad is good atleast get it recover but someone smoked in my car befor i had her
so its kinda messed up :(
i got here 100k now she has 148k
in 14 months

Members online

No members online now.
Back