'94 Water Pump Fail

97 Octane

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, thats what I think anyway. Never had any experience with failed water pumps before.

This just happened today at my driveway while the car was on idle. I was about 15feet from the car and heard what sounded like a mechanical pop sound coming from the front of the car.

Soon thereafter, I saw a river of coolant on the ground. Looked under the car and saw steady green water coming down from the area under the crank pulley.

Neat. Never heard of a water pump doing that. At least they only cost $35 and an hour and a half of your time on this car.

Since I'll be doing labor in that area, I'm considering replacing the water pump and HB pulleys with an underdrive pulley kit from one of the few underdrive pulley mfg's. I understand that you can gain somewhere around 8 - 10 more horsepower with not a whole lot of work with the least amount of cost.

My question is : Which kits fits our Marks with minimum amount of modification? and are there Mustang kits that will cross fit our 4.6L?

Neat. Never heard of a water pump doing that. At least they only cost $35 and an hour and a half of your time on this car.

You takin naps in the middle of the water pump swap?

1/2" breaker bar, release belt tension.
13mm socket, extension, ratchet, small pry bar. Remove water pump.
Install new pump, tighten bolts. Replace belt.
1/4" breaker bar, remove crossover cap, fill with coolant. Burp. Done.

15-20 minutes

Verify that you didn't blow a freeze plug. I've never heard of a water pump failing in the fashion described.

My question is : Which kits fits our Marks with minimum amount of modification? and are there Mustang kits that will cross fit our 4.6L?

If you're going to run a set of underdrives, I'd recommend the Steeda p/n 701-0002 kit.

There are four on our engine right?

I can think of fifteen off the top of my head. Four along bank 1, three along bank 2, two at the front of the block behind the timing cover, two at the rear of the block inside the bellhousing, and one on each end of each head.

Popping a freeze plug isnt really common thou.. Unless you're running Water in freezing temperatures

It isn't particularly common, but it's a better match to the OP's description better than a water pump failure. Opening the hood and determining the source of the river of coolant would clear things up quickly.

Members online

No members online now.
Back