93 Transmission into a 98 swap? Anybody done it? I did use the search engine....

Mark8Murder

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Purchased a 93 Parts car with a new transmission, car couldn't be saved which was sad since it was a black on black :(

Just purchased a 98 with a bad transmission and broken column, but nice shape.

Question:

Has anybody swapped a 93 (or Gen 1) trans into a 1998?

If so, can you point me to the post, because I searched for an hour and didn't see anything.... I special :leghumper

If not, anybody know what I should expect? Simple as repinning the connector or do I need to put 1998 Electronics into the 1993 Trans?

Thanks for your help!

I always read the ohm or resistance of the electronics changed. I would just swap all electronics inside the 93 to the 98 stuff. But others will chime in that have done it. Do you have to swap the MLPS too? Gen1 vs Gen2? Or am I getting my Crown vic trans confused in the mix.

Thinking I'll just buy new electronics for a 98 trans and swap it into the the 93 trans and I should be golden.

Thanks for the input!

All you have to do is swap the '98 MLPS and TCC solenoid over to the '93 4R70W and repin the main connector.

I SWAP my 97 TRANS FOR A 98

Purchased a 93 Parts car with a new transmission, car couldn't be saved which was sad since it was a black on black :(

Just purchased a 98 with a bad transmission and broken column, but nice shape.

Question:

Has anybody swapped a 93 (or Gen 1) trans into a 1998?

If so, can you point me to the post, because I searched for an hour and didn't see anything.... I special :leghumper

If not, anybody know what I should expect? Simple as repinning the connector or do I need to put 1998 Electronics into the 1993 Trans?

Thanks for your help![/QUO

Well, since the resistance values of the electronic components were the same on both 97 & 98, I swap and put a 98 trans in my 97 Towncar and could have done either of the two options that you mentioned: repinning or swap all of the 97 (internal soft wired electronics) to the 98 (internal hard wired electronics)trans. I decided on the former, that is, I went and repin 7 of the 9 cables on the connector BUT have to use the 97 TR (8 pin) sensor, thus the 98 TR is a Digital (12-pin) sensor, also swap and use the 97 OSS and the VSS sensors into the 98 as well.. Since I wanted a better/stronger shift feeling, I also did a "quasi" J-Mod on the 98 valve body by enlarging just a little bit, 8 of the 10 holes on the vb separator plate and use my stock (non-modified) engine. The final deal, I am very pleased and satisfied the car is shifting=great and also the 98-4R70W trans came with the mechanical Diode that is better than the 97 design sprague.

i have all the pictures and a video of swapping a 98 trans in a 95, its the same process. swap the whole wire harness from the 98 into the 93 transmission, very simplet all you do is pull the pan and pull the valve body and switch it all. PM me and remind me to find that video when i get home tonight!!

You may also like to consider that some 92-96 vehicles came with a TCC of low resistance value (1.0 - 3.o ohms), while others came with a TCC with a 10-16 ohms value. If the wrong TCC is installed, it may not allow the converter clutch apply, or to erratically work. Also check the EPC selenoid and retainer, thus there were several (3)external dimensional changes.. I read that the 1996 EPC Selenoid Retainer was made 1/16" shorter to accomodate a thinner valve body plate and must be used on 96 models with the thinner plate for improved line pressure control. Info obtained from the ATSG TSI that you may like to consult for further details.

Members online

No members online now.
Back