93 mark won't start, problem with anti-theft?

bobotech

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have had my 93 for about 6 years now. Always started except for the dead battery incident about 2 years ago.

Well the car has sat for the last 2 weeks due to bad weather here and I went out to start the car to move it today. STupid thing would not start. As soon as you turn the key, the anti-theft light starts blinking.

Tried my other key, nothing.

Locked the car using the fob, unlocked it via the fob, nothing.

Locked the car using the keypad, unlocked it using the keypad, still nothing.

Any suggestions?

Lock and unlock the car using the Key

does yours have a Dealer installed anti-theft key?

I tried using the lock/unlock using the key as well.

I beleive its factory since it uses the factory fob to turn it on and off. and it uses the factory "anti-theft" green light on the display panel thingy. I have never had a problem with this before.

When you turn the key on the 93-96, does the anti-theft light come on at all or should it go out? I jsut wonder if its something as simple as a bad starter solenoid but I didn't see the typical ford starter solenoid under the hood to give that a shot.

The starter solenoid is on the starter. Just disconnect the two wiring harnesses from the alarm module located on the passenger side. I think they are both a white harness and the module is mounted sideways. This is what I pulled loose from my 94 because it was acting stupid. Panic button and all that still works, just not the alarm. Disconnect battery, unhook module, connect battery a few minutes later and try to start. Just something for you to try and it's free. Car theft in my area is very low so I never worried about it.

DSC01005.JPG

DSC01009.JPG

Thanks! I shall try disconnecting the battery, disconnecting the antitheft module, and then reconnecting the battery later today.

Mark VIII's dont get stolen, unless you leave the keys in them. :rolleyes:

Your "clicky clicky" said it before I did lol. I never worry about mine being stolen if I'm parked out somewhere, it's only the system I have in the trunk that I don't want to be snatched out. :p

I'm pretty sure it's gonna need another started put on but the idea I gave was something that can be done fairly quick, without getting dirty and it would eliminate a faulty module but the solenoid is most likely the problem. Hit the junk yard up, I'm sure they'll have one for you.

Starters are about $35 at any given U-Pull-it, you'll need to drop the exhaust to change it . A 10mm ratchet wrench, and a 3/8 drive flex head with a 3" and 1" extension with a deep 10mm make easy work of it

My 93 did that. what a pain.

Here is a link to the thread, mine was the starter solenoid, if I remember right the anti-theft light flashes during the no start, which made me wonder if it was the anti-theft.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=33518

Ya know, I wonder if it could be the starter/solenoid? I don't drive this car, my kid does (i drive my 97) and he mentioned to me that once in a while, he gets a no-start situation but after turning the key a few times, it would fire up.

I took the battery out of the car for now and have it charging on my bench to get it fully charged.

More info.

I charged the battery up all the way. Used my load tester on it and it held at around 800 CCA with a load on it for about 15 seconds.

Put the battery in and tried to start the car. I hear a clicking from under the hood but I can't tell where its coming from.

Still no start. :(

I'm thinking bad starter too. But I really REALLY don't want to have to change it. The car has settled to the ground, is facing the wrong way to be towed out, and is covered in several inches of snow, and is blocking the trailer that I have to get out.

Ugh.

Starters are about $35 at any given U-Pull-it, you'll need to drop the exhaust to change it . A 10mm ratchet wrench, and a 3/8 drive flex head with a 3" and 1" extension with a deep 10mm make easy work of it
It can be done without pulling ext.
It sucks big time to pull the ext on a rusty car.
It can be had with the right combo of swivel/flex joint and extension's.

I'm thinking bad starter too. But I really REALLY don't want to have to change it. The car has settled to the ground, is facing the wrong way to be towed out, and is covered in several inches of snow, and is blocking the trailer that I have to get out.

Ugh.

Odds are its the solenoid, some have changed that without pulling starter, I never have so I couldn't tell you.
Sucks, did you disconnect the anti theft?

It can be done without pulling ext.
It sucks big time to pull the ext on a rusty car.
It can be had with the right combo of swivel/flex joint and extension's.

Odds are its the solenoid, some have changed that without pulling starter, I never have so I couldn't tell you.
Sucks, did you disconnect the anti theft?

My car isn't rusty at all, we live in an area where they use zero salt when cleaning roads. I have seen junker Datsuns from the '70s driving around with very little rust but all beat up looking.

As for the anti-theft, I haven't done that yet. its cold and I just replaced the charged up batt4ery first. I will do the anti-theft today sometime.

Turn your key to the On position and jump the starter solenoid with a screw driver, if it starts, it's not the starter...this method will bypass the anti-theft.

An update.

I went out to my car yesterday and put the key in and it started up just fine like nothing was wrong with it at all.

Wierd but I think its a bad starter/solenoid at this point. It warmed up to about 40 yesterday when i tried to start it. I shall see in the next few days if the cold affects it again.

The car started up a few more times since yesterday morning.

Before you do any unecessary repairs. Have your battery checked. Make sure you have the correct battery for the Mark. Make sure your terminals aren't rusted. If they are, replace them. If your battery doesn't have the COLD cranking amps to push the starter, then you're going to have this problem. Since you mentioned it started after it warmed up. ;)

Last edited:
Yup, cold makes a battery weak, my interstate is a 650 and does fine (thank you Gregg)

Well the problem was occuring even after I charged the battery up fully and tested it with my load tester. It was holding at around 800 amps for 15 seconds with the load. When I put the freshly charged and warm battery (was inside while charging), the problem was still there.

The battery is also less than 3 months ago and was the correct battery for the car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back