93 Mark VIII EEC IV/EDIS 8

345 DeSoto

LVC Member
Reaction score
New guy to the Forum/Site here (Old Hot Rodder :D ). I MAY be on the wrong part of this Site, so tell me if I am, and I'll rePost in the correct one.
Here's my story, in it's entirety. I needed (need) a RWD 4.6 DOHC Lincoln Mark VIII engine (secret project). I stumbled across a PRISTINE, totally complete, all harnesses, LOW mileage, 98 Lincoln engine. Got it practically free and delivered. Now i find out it's a Continental FWD engine. I do NOT want to get rid if it, due to the condition/low cost, so I scored a 2001 Cobra bare block that still shows cross hatch. NOW, I'm going to transfer ALL the mechanicals from the FWD Continental engine to the Cobra RWD block. However, I'm going to install a 93 Mark VIII intake/TB on it...which leads me to the thrilling conclusion. I'm PLANNING on leaving all the wiring off the engine, including the COP set up, and retro fitting a complete 93 Mark VIII EEC IV/EDIS 8 system to it. I'm HOPEING that the EEC IV/EDIS 8 system doesn't need a Cam sensor, just the crank trigger set up. I need to know if this is possible, as I DON'T want to have to deal with modifying the 98 Engine Management system with all it's excess baggage. I've asked all OVER the Internet, and draw blank stares. If the Mark VIII guys can't help me, NObody can. And this is ALL before I can even get to making some serious HP... :D

The cam sensor is used to get the timing correct for the firing of the fuel injectors (identifies # 1 piston). Don't know how to go without it.

This might help explain it. With the EDIS system, there IS no cam sensor...

EDIS_system_diagram.gif

Desoto, would love to know your project, I to am ole scool and I am putting a Cobra drive train in my 55 Study wagon.

Who would like to help me EAT this Crow?...There IS a cam sensor with the EEC IV/EDIS 8 system...:slam

JHARGARAGE,
IT, along with a 4R70W, is going into a '32 Hi Boy roadster. One of the nice things about the EDIS ignition system is that it uses regular looking spark plug wire rather than the skinny little COP wires . That way, when the cam covers are polished, people will have a HELL of a time trying to figure out WHAT model "Hemi" it is...:confused: :D

Desoto they also have carb intakes for the 4.6, also check Sean Hyland motorsports.com he is the KING of 4.6

Thanks loads, guys. Just ordered one of Hyland's books yesterday, and you'll never guess where I got the Cobra block from...;)

We old hotrodders can get into some projects with rather steep learning curves eh?
I put a 96 mkviii in my 46 Ford back in 2000. Used a 95 ecm to escape the pats. Just added the edis. When doing your wiring make sure you use good grounds throughout, best not to use the chassis for any grounding chores. Not even for the lights.

might want to check out www.diyautotune.com for the standalone megasquirt efi. it will control either spark or fuel or both.
if you decide to go carbed,just use the spark control. works nicely with the edis.

also,you can program it yourself via laptop without spending the $$$ to have a chip burned every time you decide to change something.

need anything from the hoffman group for that 32???

Members online

Back