93 Mark ABS codes 17 and 23 ??

compshmoe

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 Mark that had the antilock light and traction control light up and stay on at all times. So i did the jumper wire thingy from the forum on the ABS plug and got code 17 and 23, 17 is "reference voltage" and 23 is "LH front outer valve", i don't have a clue what that means, and have had no luck searching the net, a local parts store said it was the abs computer, i had a spare mark in the yard so i took the abs computer (mounted on drivers side inner fender) put it on the troubled mark, and get same code, so is this going to be a pump problem, which i'm guessing is mounted behind that computer?? any input would be greatly appreciated

You need to check your ABS sensors. There's one on each wheel. There could be 19 years of crud on them. Try taking off the wheels, and cleaning the teeth around the hub. Also, try removing the sensor and cleaning it, and reinserting it. These suggestions could fix your problem.

probably not the pump itself. that's a different code.
you can always try cleaning the wheel speed sensors and the rings at each corner (fronts are out near the brakes, rears are up by the diff), but i think you should check through your wiring. a reference voltage code would lead me to think you have power supply issues.

the other code, for the valve, would be in the valve body, which is separate from the pump.

cool guys, thanks, will try to clean those after work today, when you say the valve body, is that mounted behind the computer, drivers side inner fender, and the pump is mounted to that??

its all in that left front fender right next to each other. the pump is bolted to the valve body.

pump and valve body.
IMG_0513.jpg

they sit up in here.
IMG_0516.jpg

As for the Code 17 - Ref Voltage, don't worry about that one - if you disconnect or let the battery run down, it can trigger that one. Fix the Code 23 and the 17 will go away, at least that's what happened to me when I had like seven different codes all related to a wheel sensor (one was the 17).

If it was me, I'd take the car down to autozone or somewhere and get them to check the charging system & battery before i did anything. Something as simple as a weak cell in the battery can do this and with the gear reduction starters on these cars, most likely you'll never notice it.

Its a possible "what came 1st....the chicken or the egg" scenario. If the ABS module isn't seeing the correct amount of voltage, it can kick on that light, trigger all sorts of funky codes and wig out all kinds of stuff.
Then again, if the code 23 popped up, other codes could pop up while it was shutting itself down.

The code 23 is the code for a valve in the hydraulic control unit(HCU). The only fix is to replace the unit(with or without the pump), but the HCU must be bled afterwards. I have the gizmo tool(adapter) for this you can borrow if you'd like. Without bleeding the air out of the HCU, it would be really hard to get ALL the air out by conventional bleeding methods.

All in all, fix codes in a priority level. ANY voltage problem code has a higher priority(more likely to be the culprit) than just about anything else.

Members online

Back