93 JBL Amp replacement..

KingJacobo

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have only 1 working speaker, the previous owner said he unplugged the rear two speakers because the volume wasn't consistent and would go up and down. He said he believes the amp to be faulty.

I bought a 93 JBL amp from ebay, but upon dropping the cover noticed the amps are DIFFERENT :mad:

The one I have is this exact one:
$(KGrHqN,!oEE-2DK)2SVBP6BPjKY0g~~60_35.jpg

But the seller sent me this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/160848328195?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It said it was the JBL amp for a 93, and I didn't want to dig out the amp and read the serial number only to put it back and then repeat a week later.

The two inputs in the new amp are compatible with the ones on my original amp, but the original amp has an extra input that the new one I bought doesn't have.

Is there anyway to make the new one work, even using some kind of an adapter? I got zero sound with the new one. Really don't want to buy another amp unless someone can cut me a deal!

I wonder why yours look like that? My JBL amps look like this. I just took pics for you. My old 1993 amp and my spare one.
004-21.jpg

Woops, posted the wrong one. My factory (dying one) is the same as yours.

Question still stands..if there is no fix anyone wanna buy a non 93 compatible JBL amp? Ha.

You ever think of just hauling it down to your local electronics repair place and have them fix it? It will probably be your best option.

Some amps were for the "Premium Sound" with tweeters in the door and tweeters in the rear and then there were some Marks that didn't have the "Premium Sound"

I have an amp that is not made for the 8 speaker system, only the 4 speaker. Not sure what system came in yours. If you have tweeters in the upper part of your door panel, you have the premium sound and he may have sent you a non premium, which would only be good for 4 speakers.

This amp did not have the phone option, nor the premium sound system. Only 4 speakers and it came out of a 95

2012-08-19220629.gif

2012-08-19220702.gif

So I have only 1 working speaker, the previous owner said he unplugged the rear two speakers because the volume wasn't consistent and would go up and down.

But wait....

So the rear two speakers were working albeit the volume fluctuating?

If the amp is allegedly the problem,
Shouldn't all, front and rear speakers be affected the same way since both left and right speakers are wired in parallel with the front and back?

The problem may be as simple as a blown front speaker or loose connection at the speaker or a pinched rear wire with exposed strand intermittently touching some part of ground.

With test leads attached, momentarily use a 9-volt or a cordless drill battery to test the speakers for continuity. If the speakers are good, you should hear a scratchy noise from coming from your speakers. If not, then its blown. Apply your test at the speaker's terminal and at the amp's speaker connector harness.

-Ren

But wait....

So the rear two speakers were working albeit the volume fluctuating?

If the amp is allegedly the problem,
Shouldn't all, front and rear speakers be affected the same way since both left and right speakers are wired in parallel with the front and back?

The problem may be as simple as a blown front speaker or loose connection at the speaker or a pinched rear wire with exposed strand intermittently touching some part of ground.

With test leads attached, momentarily use a 9-volt or a cordless drill battery to test the speakers for continuity. If the speakers are good, you should hear a scratchy noise from coming from your speakers. If not, then its blown. Apply your test at the speaker's terminal and at the amp's speaker connector harness.

-Ren

This may be common sense to most but I'll say it anyway. When you test at the harness make sure your amp and radio are unplugged.

Members online

Back