93 Drive Shaft 2 miles from my house!

2002WRXSTi

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Scanning Craigslist for parts and I find 2 93's being parted out. One being around an hour away and the other just 2 or so miles from my house :D

When I went to pick it up the guy tells me what a PITA it was to get out. Even though some people here think it is no different from 99% of the RWD cars out there :roll eyes:

The 93' was in bad shape. Rust bad in front of drivers quarter and then someone took a bat or something to the upper quarter plus door. Even broke the drivers rear spindle mount somehow?

Anyway he told me he was pulling the engine to instal in this :cool:

Man that looks like an opel gt. That sucker is going to fly! It would be be nice to put the IRS in the rear of that opel

Man that looks like an opel gt. That sucker is going to fly! It would be be nice to put the IRS in the rear of that opel

It's a TVR that he got on the cheap. Told me that 5.0's fit so he figured the MOD engine would fit as it is a smaller engine. Hinted that he was gonna have fun finding out that ain't quite the case :shifty:

It's a TVR that he got on the cheap. Told me that 5.0's fit so he figured the MOD engine would fit as it is a smaller engine. Hinted that he was gonna have fun finding out that ain't quite the case :shifty:

LOL mod engine is a smaller engine!!!!! In CI only. Holy shoe horn bat man. The 302 is tiny compared to 4.6.

LOL mod engine is a smaller engine!!!!! In CI only. Holy shoe horn bat man. The 302 is tiny compared to 4.6.

Bingo, so should be an interesting swap as far as I can see :confused:

He had a SRT4 that he claimed made 600hp on the chassis dyno before it melted a cylinder head. Plus a 06' convertible Vette that he was planing on putting a STS turbo kit on. Then 2 lifted trucks sitting around his place.

Quite a few projects :shifty:

Bingo, so should be an interesting swap as far as I can see :confused:

He had a SRT4 that he claimed made 600hp on the chassis dyno before it melted a cylinder head. Plus a 06' convertible Vette that he was planing on putting a STS turbo kit on. Then 2 lifted trucks sitting around his place.

Quite a few projects :shifty:

And the srt4 ran 9.90's right?

What does that car weigh race ready. Car and 175 lb driver?

Never really cared for the Boosted NEON so didn't really care to talk much about it. Was more interested in the TVR as he claimed it weighs so little it will be 3200 when done. If he can make it work it'll be a different car.

Never really cared for the Boosted NEON so didn't really care to talk much about it. Was more interested in the TVR as he claimed it weighs so little it will be 3200 when done. If he can make it work it'll be a different car.

3200 thats freakin heavy for that little thing.

When I went to pick it up the guy tells me what a PITA it was to get out. Even though some people here think it is no different from 99% of the RWD cars out there :roll eyes:

Yeah, and the junkyard monkey is a blubbering Nancy. Two straps and dropping the gas tank is the only extra step on our cars. But I suppose if you are dumb enough to leave 15 gallons of gas in the tank and then try to carry the tank around like a waitress with a serving tray. :rolleyes: But, I'm sure the tank was empty so he can't use that excuse which makes him a Nancy, possibly with a vagina.

Yeah, and the junkyard monkey is a blubbering Nancy. Two straps and dropping the gas tank is the only extra step on our cars. But I suppose if you are dumb enough to leave 15 gallons of gas in the tank and then try to carry the tank around like a waitress with a serving tray. :rolleyes: But, I'm sure the tank was empty so he can't use that excuse which makes him a Nancy, possibly with a vagina.

Well out of the 60 some odd cars I have owned only 2 have had the gas tank under the drive shaft. Those cars were and are my 96' and 98' Mark VIII's. So having to drive around for a few days to get the tank down to a level that it can be easily (?) moved to do something as simple as replacing a DS or U joints I dunno? Guess all the other manufactures should take this into account and put the tank under the DS cause it is smarter :D

Anyway I know of mechanics that have turned down the job of putting in a DS just for this reason. When I did the DS and gears on my 96' it was one more thing I had to do and yes I did find it annoying to have to drop the tank period no ifs ands or buts, plus aside from you I have not yet found someone that likes this setup :confused:

I suppose you like the IAC on Gen 1's too then :rolleyes:

I suppose you like the IAC on Gen 1's too then :rolleyes:

No, that job is harder. :p

I know what you're saying though, but not really. Any shop with a hoist should not be complaining about such trivial things. :rolleyes:

Ask DLF how hard it is. He'd probably get a good laugh too.

+1. It's funny to see people who think just because an engine has a smaller CID, it's a smaller engine externally. I can't believe this guy couldn't tell just by looking at it that it's HUGE compared to a 5.0, unless he's never seen a 302 before. Or maybe he's seen a 5.0 Coyote engine and got confused :confused:. Just by visual observations (never really measured), the 4.6 DOHC externally is close to the size of a 460, or it looks that way to me.

+1. It's funny to see people who think just because an engine has a smaller CID, it's a smaller engine externally. I can't believe this guy couldn't tell just by looking at it that it's HUGE compared to a 5.0, unless he's never seen a 302 before. Or maybe he's seen a 5.0 Coyote engine and got confused :confused:. Just by visual observations (never really measured), the 4.6 DOHC externally is close to the size of a 460, or it looks that way to me.

One big plus about fitting mod motors in tight spots is spark plugs coming out top of engine. Old mustangs with any FE or Lima engine was hell to get to plugs.

One big plus about fitting mod motors in tight spots is spark plugs coming out top of engine. Old mustangs with any FE or Lima engine was hell to get to plugs.

I sat one Sunday morning and watched a stocker swap 428's in a mustang.
Great entertainment while drinking coffee.
He had a class race 2nd round and his buddy had a better 428 bullet.
Best part about the whole thing.....he lost first round :bowrofl:

Yeah funny thing is the mechanic that turned down the driveshaft swap has a SCJ 428 Mustang. He did the plugs once in the car but I left cause I didn't have all day to watch someone doing plugs. Car has headers to I do believe? Also has had 2 428's and 1 427 side oiler all blow up in his 66' Fairlane. Not a fan of FE's anymore but he does have a line on a SOHC engine. He'll most likely blow that up too :shifty:

No, that job is harder. :p

I know what you're saying though, but not really. Any shop with a hoist should not be complaining about such trivial things. :rolleyes:

Ask DLF how hard it is. He'd probably get a good laugh too.

No shop no lift so not trivial, annoying cause it's another thing that has to be done. That and here in NJ exposed threads are rust magnets so when you have the car jacked up and using the impact to spin the nuts off put the back of my gun on the ground. So I had to spin the nuts back up enough to get it out and then use a ratchet to pull the nuts off.

Not looking forward to doing a gear/drive shaft swap on my car just for that reason almost.

It's fairly easy to swap the driveshaft when swapping the pumpkin, just lower the back of the tank a little.

No shop no lift so not trivial, annoying cause it's another thing that has to be done. That and here in NJ exposed threads are rust magnets so when you have the car jacked up and using the impact to spin the nuts off put the back of my gun on the ground. So I had to spin the nuts back up enough to get it out and then use a ratchet to pull the nuts off.

Not looking forward to doing a gear/drive shaft swap on my car just for that reason almost.

Jack+stands+shorter extensions

Members online

No members online now.
Back