6r80 conversion

Speedracer

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'd love to put a 6r80 in the Mark VIII. Of course the problem is getting a PCM to control the trans and interact with the engine. Here's my thought.
I know the 6R80 came with the 08-10 Explorers and Mountaineers that used a 4.6L 3v. I would imagne it would have all the correct drivers for the engine, just a few extra. I was imagining that you could take the trans, PCM and engine harness and reprogram the engine side with 4.6L 4V cal. It would then still run 4v engine and the 6r80. Any thoughts?

So I'd love to put a 6r80 in the Mark VIII. Of course the problem is getting a PCM to control the trans and interact with the engine. Here's my thought.
I know the 6R80 came with the 08-10 Explorers and Mountaineers that used a 4.6L 3v. I would imagne it would have all the correct drivers for the engine, just a few extra. I was imagining that you could take the trans, PCM and engine harness and reprogram the engine side with 4.6L 4V cal. It would then still run 4v engine and the 6r80. Any thoughts?

If I was gonna do this swap, I would swap the whole engine & tranny into the car - about the same power and more torque with the 3v anyways.

That would be a lot easier and in the end, cheaper than adapting the ECM and getting it programmed for the 4v, IMHO.

But then again, SVT at Ford did have a SVT Sport Trac Adrenalin that got axed because of Ford's cost cutting - that truck had the 4.6L 4v with a supercharger AND the 6R80 !

https://www.google.com/search?q=SVT...sugexp=chrome,mod=12&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I thought about that route too. I like the idea but it adds a couple thousand and a lot of complexity for as you said, about the same power. the potential for NA power adders is greater though.

Thanks for the link, i may run this by their local expert. What i'm proposing is actually the opposite of what they are. I'm proposing keeping the oringal PCM and changing the engine side cal in the PCM.

Did you actually call them.

This was something i wanted to do to in the future.

no. it was on their website that they were working on one but it wasn't finished.
and it is no longer on their new website.

feel free to call them up. but, given what i know about how the 6r80 works (which i grant you is not much) that thing is pretty damn complex. be surprised if anyone comes out with a standalone box in the near future.

Did you actually call them.

This was something i wanted to do to in the future.

I spoke to them a few times this year specifically about a 6R80 controller. Nothing as of November of this year, and no plans for one anytime soon.

The 3 valve engine harness would'nt be hard to adapt to a 4 valve.

Crank trigger, Cam Trigger is pretty much the same. (after deleting and retuning for the 3valve's VCT.)

The Ford 4-valve is easy peasy to wire.

pretty sure the adrenaline was 3 valve engine.
Doh! You're right...never mind.

A 2007 Ford Sport Trac is a 3 valve engine:
http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/163_0604_2007_ford_explorer_sport_trac/photo_01.html
163_0604_03z+2007_ford_explorer_sport_trac+engine_view.jpg

A 2007 Ford Sport Trac ADRENALINE sure doesn't look like a 3 valve to me (because it's a supercharged 4v):
(as a matter of fact, I don't think Ford ever made a Supercharged 3v factory in anything, did they?)
I think the 2008- Adrenaline came with 3v engines, but no supercharger, was it?
I see what happened, the 2007 SVT Adrenaline with the supercharged 4v never made it to production, and they just used the Adrenaline name in 2008- for a "sportier" Sport Trac.....

Here are some pics of the original planned SC 4v engine to go in the 2007 Sport Trac Adrenaline...

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/pickup/163_0508_2007_ford_sport_trac/photo_09.html
163_0508_07z+2007_ford_sport_trac+adrenalin_front_top_engine_view.jpg

http://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2006-svt_explorer_sport_trac_adrenalin/
Ford-SVT_Explorer_Sport_Trac_Adrenalin_2006_800x600_wallpaper_18.jpg

no.
the supercharged 4.6 4v adrenaline concept did not go to production.
the adrenaline that went to production had a 3 valve 4.6. they just added some fluff to a regular sport trac.
SVT designed something really cool, and then ford didn't build it.

no.
the supercharged 4.6 4v adrenaline concept did not go to production.
the adrenaline that went to production had a 3 valve 4.6. they just added some fluff to a regular sport trac.
SVT designed something really cool, and then ford didn't build it.

That's pretty much what I said..... :shifty:

I see what happened, the 2007 SVT Adrenaline with the supercharged 4v never made it to production, and they just used the Adrenaline name in 2008- for a "sportier" Sport Trac.....

Well, you have to admit, Ford has managed to make it through the hard times without selling out to Uncle Sam even though that costed us a ton of cool performance stuff they were putting together over to SVT.

Back to modding our own versions of the Mark VIII SVT ... lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back