5R55 N/S/W High Cap. Trans. Pan/Dip Stick

NateRW21

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
With my Eibachs I think my car would be riding on the transmission pan.:) But if they made one only a little deeper to allow for a filler tube, I would bet that they could sell a lot more.

yeah I hear ya... I'm in the same boat. I may measure to see where it would put me at. I just have to work up the motivation to get around to it. If only I still had access to a lift, and heating my garage didn't require firing up my salamander!

I actually just recently purchased a deep sump trans pan with dipstick for my 00 ls...the dipstick tube needed to be bent in a few places but other then that its a pretty clean install..and just so you know it does sit about 3/4 of an inch below the frame rails...so YES its low, especially with my eibachs...i will take some pics when i have some free time..

I actually just recently purchased a deep sump trans pan with dipstick for my 00 ls...the dipstick tube needed to be bent in a few places but other then that its a pretty clean install..and just so you know it does sit about 3/4 of an inch below the frame rails...so YES its low, especially with my eibachs...i will take some pics when i have some free time..

Do take and post some pics please!!

I guess with the Eibachs, you can only drive on flat roads and no speed bumps or driveways at all. You will be parking on the streets for sure.

LEOV5... that is one NICE LS... I love that color! (perhaps almost as much as my all blacked-out LS)

Thank you very much. Lt. Tungsen Metalic Green

Here's Some Pics...

untitled5.jpg

untitled6.jpg

untitled1.jpg

Yea it is EXTREMLY low..but its not my everyday driver so i dont mind....i must say that speed bumps are almost imposible....lol....god i hate those :slam

I concur, I could never drive with that trany pan installed on my LS. I would worry everytime I drove on the LA's freeways!

Here is the problem with running that hi-cap oil pan on the LS. Its overall goal is to lower trans temps by offering more fluid to help lubricate and cool the transmission. But by installing that low hanging pan it significantly raises the chance of banging it on something and causing a bad leak. Transmissions with low to no fluid do not work too well.

The good about this hi-cap pan is:

1) It does help keep things cooler

The bad about it are:

1) It is very low to the ground

2) There are better and MUCH cheaper ways to keep your tranny cool

3) Smacking it on objects on the road. Because it is so low to the ground there is a very high chance that it will get hung up on items on the road or the road itself. Having a piece of cast metal hitting inanimate objects with a 3,700+ pound force is not a good thing especially when there is precious trans fluid inside. Heck, just kissing one speed bump with this could mean the end of the pan itself or the gasket sealing it. By hanging so low the pan pretty much defeats any purpose it would have in the LS.

Overall this pan is a good mod to have if you have a vehicle with slightly higher ground clearance. If you want to keep your transmission extra cool then I suggest that you just install an auxiliary trans cooler. If you want things extra extra cool then install one with a electric fan. It will be a much less involved install and also be allot cheaper too. With an extra trans cooler you will not only get the added benefit of extra fluid capacity but you also get a much larger amount of surface area to help cool that fluid.

If you want a dipstick then install one into your stock pan. Pretty cheap, pretty easy for the home mechanic, and functions just fine.

remember - the 'sport package' option includes a trannie cooler

Yep. On allot of the vehicle's I have modified I always added an extra one if there was enough room to do so. Cheap insurance on some vehicles.

Like i said i dont sugest this for the Everyday Driver....just like ILLS basically said its really not worth the pain only to lower your trans temps by maybe 10 degrees. Just get a bigger aftermarket trans cooler (or 2) and make your own dipstick and save yourself the troubles..

yeap sport models actually have a Trans Cooler, Power Steering Cooler, and a Hydraulic Fan (ATF) Fluid Cooler.

All LS automatics have a trans cooler...... The sport models have an oil cooler, which the non-sports lack. There is no power steering fluid nor hydraulic fan fluid cooler.

Yes the "sport" LS's do have a oil cooler aswell....but they also do have 2 other coolers as well, they are all in one thin radiator, its between the radiator and ac condensor....Look Its There

Yes the "sport" LS's do have a oil cooler aswell....but they also do have 2 other coolers as well, they are all in one thin radiator, its between the radiator and ac condensor....Look Its There

So you made me look..... I went to Alldata and we do seem to have a P/S fluid cooler. Very nice (and interesting) news to me! I could not, however, find any reference to a hydraulic fan fluid cooler.

Members online

No members online now.
Back