4/30/05 Harford County Breakfast/Rebuild a Mustang Meet

One_Way

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
What a great day to stay inside and work on cars! Gray, damp, rainy, perfect for shunning the outside world only to stay inside a dark repair shop.

5 of us ventured out to the Hickory Waffle House (no pics, just a bunch of pick up trucks) where we feasted on WH's best offerings. 4 returned to the shop, I headed to the County yard waste recycling center to drop off a pick up truck load to bushes and clippings. After getting my Dakota and myself muddy, it was on to the shop.

RegStang35.jpg

I've been working on this '65 Mustang 2+2 for going on 2 years now. The shop owner, who is a good friend, bought it 4 years ago for his daughter. After many delays, it's STILL not completed. This being a working repair shop, cash-customers' vehicles come first, the hobby cars come second. That's where I come in, as I am not officially employed there, I am paid in parts and auto service. And with 3 hobby cars myself, this is an extremely beneficial arrangement for the both of us. I've been working on his many hobby cars for about 5-6 years.

RegStang31.jpg

This '65 was some else's project car, it was completely disassembled. Included with the car was TONS of boxes of parts and what not. Once the car was towed home, it was sent to a body shop for a little body work and paint. I am EXTREMELY impressed with how solid this car is!

RegStang27.jpg

Working a few hours on most Saturdays, it has been my job to assemble the exterior and interior. When it comes to Chevys, I know what I'm doing! But this was my first Ford. It's been a challenge, but I must admit I have a new-found respect for these cars!

RegStang28.jpg

With the exterior trim completed, I've been reassembling the interior, without the help of a decent assembly manual! Today, the door panels and related trim were installed on the car, along with sunvisors and some dash trim.

RegStang29.jpg

I also had to adjust the windows so they would seal against the new weathstrip. The hardware inside the doors was removed by the previous owner.

RegStang34.jpg

Glad to say the interior is 90% done, just some minor trim and a radio need to be installed. However, we have another setback as there seems to be an intermittent battery draw and the alternator is not charging. So our goal of having this car completed by NEXT weekend for a prom is in jeopardy! :x

4-30-5.jpg

This '67 Chevelle was my first project I assembled for him. This was another one that was bought in pieces, the shell of a car came with boxes of stuff. This was an EASY project, but he sold the car to a customer when I completed my work. He never really go to enjoy it, only sees it when it returns for service work.

4-30-2.jpg

This Camaro was in the bay next to the Mustang. Belongs to another guy that comes up on Saturdays. He put in a new rear, ignition key switch, and steering wheel. It sounds AWESOME!

4-30-7.jpg

I have two El Caminos to assemble next, a '70 that I partially reassembled, and a '67 Prostreet. But before then, this is MY daughter's future car that I have to get ready by next summer! Looks GREAT when the dead paint is wet from the rain! It's an '89 Camaro RS that she really likes!

4-30-6.jpg

This is the back lot. Behind that shed is a '83 Mustang convertible that needs lots, and a '67 Mustang coupe that has sat there for 10 years. The owner is gonna restore it some day.

Hope next week has nice weather!

Members online

Back