4.10's and new driveshaft.

clintjw95

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I went to my local speed shop yesterday about getting some 4.10's put in. I asked him if i would need a 4" driveshaft because i have read many people have vibration problems when running 3.73's and 4.10's. He told me that i shouldn't have a problem and it would be a waste of money. Is this true?

Thanx, Clint

my driveline guy whos doing mine didnt say i needed a new one? but i figure that will limit my chances of going extremely fast on the highway

So is there anyone that hasn't had vibration problems with a higher gear ratio?

ill let you know monday, like i said im expecting it at higher speeds, which will keep me from excessive speeding, those stock gears are made for highway flying.

i want a driveshaft, but i cant afford it right now... next month it goes in. this month is the gears and trac lok. im extremely excited as everyone says this is the best mod you can do to a lincoln mark viii

I hope you don't consider 70mph "a higher speed" because that's where it's gonna start.

If you want to do this in steps, you should've done the driveshaft first, then the gears.

"your driveline guys" have no clue about the fn-10 driveline. It's not the same as mustang or other 8.8 rear ends. THe driveshaft is a different design, and is prones to vibes. Unless you talk to somebody who's been doing gear swaps on mn-12 and fn-10s for years, you won't get the correct info. Same goes for your posts on pricing for a gear swap. It costs more do it on this car because it's an IRS rear end, which involves even more work than your run of the mill 99+ IRS Cobra due to spindle design.

Hell at 50 with 4.10's my car sounded like it was going to explode. LOL tell the guy that said it's a waste of money to give you in writing that if it vibrates he will replcace the shaft for free.

Hell at 50 with 4.10's my car sounded like it was going to explode. LOL tell the guy that said it's a waste of money to give you in writing that if it vibrates he will replcace the shaft for free.

Hmmmm... That's not a bad idea.

My friends 98 didn't have problems with his 3.73s
you can get your drive shaft balanced too only $30 or $40

Ive read a couple post around here where people just had their driveshafts balanced and that cured the vibration, even with gears.

I have never once had success with a rebalanced ds in a Mark VIII. Only 1 time ever in 11 years did I do a set of gears for a customer and he DIDN'T have vibes and it was a 93.

I hope you don't consider 70mph "a higher speed" because that's where it's gonna start.

If you want to do this in steps, you should've done the driveshaft first, then the gears.

"your driveline guys" have no clue about the fn-10 driveline. It's not the same as mustang or other 8.8 rear ends. THe driveshaft is a different design, and is prones to vibes. Unless you talk to somebody who's been doing gear swaps on mn-12 and fn-10s for years, you won't get the correct info. Same goes for your posts on pricing for a gear swap. It costs more do it on this car because it's an IRS rear end, which involves even more work than your run of the mill 99+ IRS Cobra due to spindle design.

yea of course im going to need a driveshaft. IRS is really not that uncommon anymore, its 2008. ill be sure to tell him that you said he has no clue. :)

my driveline guy whos doing mine didnt say i needed a new one? but i figure that will limit my chances of going extremely fast on the highway

when i said this, i should have said that it didn't come up... he didnt say i wont need one or need one. so ill find out for myself.

My 98 lsc has a one piece shaft does that mean it was changed out before I bought the car. However I have been chasing a vibration for some time that comes on near 70 and up. I have 3.73's and trac loc

e-thug.jpg

Haha, you're too funny kid. It that your domestic 5.0 ?

I give up. You can't be helped.

Last edited:
My 98 lsc has a one piece shaft does that mean it was changed out before I bought the car. However I have been chasing a vibration for some time that comes on near 70 and up. I have 3.73's and trac loc

If you don't know what you are looking for the stock two piece looks like a one piece.

I've had the trans out several times and change the rear pumkin. also dropped the fuel tank to upgrade the pump. Two piece means a slip spline right. I havn't noticed any slip. It has a slip yoke at the trans and a u joint at the pumkin. looks to be 3 or 4 inch alloy unit. What am I missing. THis may be my vibration I cannt find. Ive had tires ballanced and alinment. Didnt work.

2 piece DS are not slip spline on MK8's. It is a tube bonded inside the outer tube. You have to look carefully at the rear end of the shaft like 4-5 inches right infront of the ujoint. You can see like a grove where the outer shaft ends.

Also I have a 93 with 1 piece and 4.10's and the vibes start at like 70 and get worse on up MPH.

Members online

Back