2nd Gen double din radio install

wana461

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Was told by a buddy that I might have to move some airbag stuff around behind my radio when I install my double din touch screen. Was just wondering if this was accurate and if so any tips on where to move stuff around so it fits beautifully.

You'd have to relocate the airbag module thing and cut the top of opening a bit. Then you have to fab up a dash kit, they make one (separate side pieces) but it looks ick imho.

I used a kit for an Aviator.

2011_0612pics0006.gif

For this look I just cut off the bottom tabs on the kit.

2011_0612pics0001.gif

When I mounted the kit like above the wood bezel wouldn't sit flush (Barely) on the dash cause that little plastic strip on top of the kit was holding it up. There's more of a gap on the bottom so flipping it over worked out.

Before: You can see how the stip prevented the bezel from sitting flush. In order for it to work like 2 pics down I had to sand down the 2 upper corners a hair.

2011_0716pics0002.gif

This was the final product. Not perfect, but it works for me.

DSCF8867_zpsfe8677b1.gif

Or you can install it w/o a kit but it looks like azz. Black "Frost King" foam weather stripping works great at filling gaps if you go that route.

Wow, I just noticed that the 2 above pictures, taken 2 years apart were both taken at the same time.

:eek:

i put the metra kit on mines acouple weeks ago..and i dont like it.....the radio sits tucked in about half an inch.

What install kit is that????? I cant find it anywhere! The only one I can find is this crappy 2 piece Metra one and it sits in my dash like 1/2 an inch.

i put the metra kit on mines acouple weeks ago..and i dont like it.....the radio sits tucked in about half an inch.

What install kit is that????? I cant find it anywhere! The only one I can find is this crappy 2 piece Metra one and it sits in my dash like 1/2 an inch.

http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?30782-Pioneer-Double-Din-indash

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7638_Metra-95-5026.html

Takes 5 minutes or less.

met-955026.jpg

2011_0612pics0003.jpg

I like the look of that. Makes me wanna get me a DD unit more and more.

I don't think I could ever go back to using single dins after this. I'm getting to old for all those silly little buttons.

I do kinda regret not getting the 7" version though. Meh, maybe next car.

Here is my 7" double din touch screen. Has built in gps plays CDs DVDs and mp3s also has a slot for SD memory card for music. Also has cable for USB port and a iPod plug in. Has the hookups for a backup camera aswell. Just waiting on my stereo removal keys to take out my stock stereo and install this. Can't wait to see this baby in here.image-1604485713.jpg

image-1604485713.jpg

Moved the module off to the side after removing bracket. Then installed stereo. Had to make some room by removing a bit around the stereo but it fits nice just have to fill a bit of space on the sides as I did not use a mounting kit. Happy it's in and working though. Now jut have to set up.

image-4190592094.jpg

image-725538046.jpg

image-1993652235.jpg

image-3064160503.jpg

image-2964415212.jpg

image-3861787082.jpg

image-2296117818.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back